PDA

View Full Version : Best wheel cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2 3

backwoodredneck
12-31-2001, 04:00 AM
Hi all!

I wanna primarily detail and protect my dash and door panels(most impt) without shine or oily feeling. Secondary use is for exterior trimmings. I have no leather seats.

Is Z-10 LEATHER IN A BOTTLE" TREATMENT AND CONDITIONER or Z-16 PERFECT TIRE GLOSS more appropriate for my use? I cannot get 303 or Black Magic here, so I can only consider Zaino at the moment. From the description on the web page, both seem to serve my purpose ok, but which is better? I know some guys here use Z-10 for interior, how does it measure up? Durability? I have sun and rain all year round.

Thanks in advance! :)

p.s. I got some zaino stains on my black trimmings on the door. I tried the peanut butter trick, and it works. Will the stain come back and I have to re-apply the peanut butter?

imported_Brad
12-31-2001, 09:24 AM
Leather in a bottle will have less sheen. Both will work.

rstype
12-31-2001, 11:40 AM
Brad is correct as usual.

Be sure to know that Z-10 does not soak very well into rough surfaces like late-model BMW dashboards because of its creamy consistancy. So use Z-16 or some other watery PDMS dressing if so.

backwoodredneck
01-22-2002, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Need to clarify a couple of things though, hope you can help me further...

1) Which one is more suitable if I wanna use it to detail exterior plastic trimmings and mudflaps too?

2) If I dilute Z16 with 1 part water, will it have more or less equal shine as Z10 undiluted? Cos Z16 is like less than half the price of Z10!

3) Which product is more economical on usage (i.e. use less per surface area)?

edit: my dash is not the hard plastic type, it`s like cushioned fake leather kinda thing.... :D

Thanks all !! :)

Steve @ Guru
01-22-2002, 10:04 PM
1) I`ve used Z6 on those trim pieces - it gives a nice shine without too much shine. The only drawback is that it doesn`t last as long as say Z16 would/could.

2) Z16 will be easier to dillute because it`s a liquid. The Z10 will be pasty, and would probably be difficult to apply to trim pieces. Not sure about the shine characteristics.

3) Probably all about the same when it boils down to it.

-Have you considered making a run to Wal-Mart, Pep Boys or Autozone for some Vinylex? It`s only about $5 per bottle and is meant for dressing those kinds of trim/interior pieces. Just a thought.

-Steve

backwoodredneck
01-23-2002, 10:46 PM
anyone any other comments? Else I think I`ll go with diluted Z-16 on my dash and exterior trims. :)

Lemonxxs
01-24-2002, 12:44 AM
Leather in a bottle in the interior for me please...Straight up bar keep!!!!

hanmoto
09-08-2010, 09:32 AM
I`ve been using a mild Citrus Degreaser to clean my wheels on all of my cars and it`s been ok and of course very cost effective. I`ve been looking at the new Sonax wheel cleaner and was tempted to buy until I saw the cost. I was wondering what the feedback is from users who actually used the product. Would you buy again? Worth the cost?

Thanks!

bmw5541
09-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I`ve been using a mild Citrus Degreaser to clean my wheels on all of my cars and it`s been ok and of course very cost effective. I`ve been looking at the new Sonax wheel cleaner and was tempted to buy until I saw the cost. I was wondering what the feedback is from users who actually used the product. Would you buy again? Worth the cost?

Thanks!

I use it, and IMHO, if the wheels are in bad enough condition, it is absolutely worth the price. It really works wonders on baked on brake dust. It is pretty cool to see the color change from green to dark red. If the wheels aren`t in to bad of a conbdition, you can just rince off when the color goes to that dark red. If the wheels are bad, then once the color changes agitate with your asortment of wheel brushes.

It is also PH Neutral.

Junebug
09-08-2010, 09:39 AM
If the wheels are nasty - I use Meg`s Wheel Brite mixed 4:1, spray, brush, rinse - repeat if needed. Then, coat with BFWD, and just use car wash soap to maintain.

imported_Flash Gordon
09-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Castrol Super Clean Da Rules!

imported_Woodie
09-08-2010, 10:53 AM
The Sonax Xtreme Full Effect wheel cleaner is a really good product. The major disadvantages to it is the smell (seriously pungent) and the fact that we`ve seen it cause discoloration on certain painted brake calipers locally.

I also turn to Meguiars Wheel Brightner for the really dirty wheels.

bmc
09-08-2010, 03:55 PM
personally, i love the sonax full effect wheel cleaner. i have been using it for quite awhile now, with no problems....My only complaint was the smell of the product...absolutely disgusting.. A sonax rep told me there was a new formula without the horrible smell that was coming out.

Besides that, a great product..p21s is up there too, but sonax has an edge in my opinion...

CEE DOG
09-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Just started using the Sonax. Works great but a little overpriced if you are just getting a small bottle. Depending on what types of jobs you are used to you should probably have some around. For wheels that are more maintained Griots does a fine job at a much better price. Of course there is P21S that works well and prices somewhere in between.

As far as the smell I was really expecting something haneous that doesn`t go away based on what I had read... rotten eggs and all that. When I used it it wasn`t as bad as I expected. It certainly didn`t make me hungry but it wasn`t overwelming to me at all. It smells like a perm to be honest.

hanmoto
09-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the replies...I think I will try it to see what the fuss is all about.