PDA

View Full Version : Baked on Brake Dust

Pages : [1] 2

jim astrachan
12-30-2001, 02:21 PM
Bought a Porter Cable Random Orbital (7336). Was going to use with 3M Hand Glaze to get minor swirl marks out of black 01 Porsche. Does that make sense or should I use the 3M Dark Car Swirl Remover or something else? Also, is it correct that the Orbital is not used to remove and buff wax, glazes and polishes...only apply? Finally, can anyone help with a place to buy the closed cell foam pads to use on the 7336. Griot`s sells them, but I wonder how over priced they are when you consider they sell the Porter Cable for $200 and Lowes sells it for $109. Thanks.

imported_BretFraz
12-30-2001, 02:36 PM
You can use the PC for both application and removal provided you have all the right pads and bonnets. Personally, I use my PC for application and MF`s by hand for removal. But there are MF bonnets that can be used with your PC for product removal. It`s up to you.

I think the 3M SMR Dark will work best with your PC. I use 3M`s IHG, SMR, and FI2 and SMR does a great job as long as the swirls aren`t too bad. I suggest using the SMR first then evaluate the finish. If you still need added scratch removal go to the FI2 and follow up with SMR. I think you`ll find the IHG is unnecessary.

A terrific pad kit can be obtained from Classic Motoring Accessories; www.properautocare.com. The CMA kit includes a velcro backing plate that allows for instant pad swapping; no screwwing pads in and out of your PC. I also use Meguiar`s yellow foam pads obtained from my local auto body/paint store. The Meguiar`s pads have a backing plate attached so you will need to do the "Screw Dance - The Unobscene Version."

imported_wendell jarvis
09-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Any cure to remove very old baked on brake dust? tried Megs Apc 4:1 no luck...

bmw5541
09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. It is the best stuff I have ever used.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Leadfootluke
09-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Megs Wheel Brightener, read the label

Harleyguy
09-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Prep-Sol and some good old elbow grease .Depending on the suface you can try #0000 steel wool

Legacy99
09-07-2010, 09:46 PM

:iagree: It`s an acid so be careful.

imported_Luster
09-07-2010, 09:54 PM

+3 :clap::clap::clap:

imported_Flash Gordon
09-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Prep-Sol and some good old elbow grease .Depending on the suface you can try #0000 steel wool

+2 ^ :-B

My theory on customers who haven`t washed there wheels in so long the dust is embetted into the surfice is that they really don`t talke much pride in there whip. I am not going to risk my life (lungs) or waste alot of time trying to remove it. Once I go thru my normal routine of wheel cleaning, if there is still a bunch of junk on the wheel then I call to tell them there options

1) Leave it like it is

2) Have the wheels recoated

3) Tell them I can 0000 steel wool them clean, sure you may see a few scratches, but they are already in need of recoating/ruined so pick your poison

More times then not, you will never see this car again anyway, so why risk your life :ar!

PAR Detailing
09-08-2010, 04:52 AM
I would also use wheel brightner. Like flash said though it is horrible for your lungs.

imported_BobbyG
09-08-2010, 06:13 AM
The problem I`ve seen is that the particles of dust actually become embedded into the clear coat. Once this occurs it`s nearly impossible to completely remove with out stripping and refinishing the wheel.

Scrubbing with a stiff brush and steel wool will dislodge some but I suspect that some will still remain.

CEE DOG
09-08-2010, 08:23 AM

Where your respirator and glasses with this stuff

imported_Woodie
09-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Meguiars Wheel Brightner has always worked for me with the really dirty, baked brake dust type wheel jobs. As mentioned by several posters, read the label and wear the correct safety gear and you`ll be ok.

Leadfootluke
09-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Meguiars Wheel Brightner has always worked for me with the really dirty, baked brake dust type wheel jobs. As mentioned by several posters, read the label and wear the correct safety gear and you`ll be ok.

Gloves, no exposed skin in the immediate area, and glasses are nice. When using a wheel brush, it is easy to move the brush the wrong way and create splatter. Don`t use on hot wheels/brakes either. It is incredibly effective though, however it has eater through all my chem resistant bottles :doh:

imported_RaskyR1
09-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Another vote for Megs WB!

Hold your breath and close your eyes when using it! :biggrin: