PDA

View Full Version : Hydro-Tech vs. LC Classic Pads

highspeeddata
12-30-2001, 12:07 PM
I have one of those big 10" Orbital Polishers you can buy in the Auto Parts stores. It says it spins at 3,000 OPM (orbits per minute I guess). I`m wondering what the difference is between that and the Porter Cable Ultimate Detail Machine and if it would be worth investing in one if I already have the 10" ROP.

BradE
12-30-2001, 01:28 PM
The PC has a much stronger motor, and it`s a variable speed machine. Most store bought el-cheapo models only have .5-1.5 amp motor. The PC has a 3.7 amp motor. Most of the cheaper orbitals don`t have enought torque to remove scratches and some moderate swirls, the PC does.

Most of the cheaper ones are good for removing waxes and polishes, that`s about it. I don`t think they are up to the task for swirl/scratch removal.

rmccall6
12-30-2001, 02:32 PM
Exactly, while the PC is no rotary, it can, with higher speeds work polishes in much better than the waxmaster bunch, so will remove more swirls.

imported_User Name
09-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Wanted to purchase some 5.5" pads.

What are the differences?

Are there any pros and cons to each?

Are the PAC pads in anyway different from other LC pads found around the web? I thought I remember reading somewhere that the PAC pads had some super secret material.

Street Dreams
09-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I have not picked up an orange LC classic pad since getting my LC hydro tangerine pads. They simply cut better and finish very well on 95% of paints.

The Cyan hydro is very aggressive but a great pad for harder paints that need the extra bite.

On a DA either hydro (especially the tang) is a great asset because you can do some serious correction work or as I do, cleanup after heavy rotary compounding with ease.

Only downside to the hydros is the backing velcro is delicate.. I have ruined about 6 so far (2 on the last car I did) and also they are very tough to get dry after washing, I spin them on the rotary at high RPM and towel out the rest.

bmw5541
09-07-2010, 06:40 PM
I agree with Dave 100%. The H2O pads do a great job. My only problem with them, other then the backing issue is their durability.

imported_User Name
09-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Great info guys. Much appreciated.

CEE DOG
09-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I haven`t had a single issue with backing. I will agree that they are wonderfull pads and almost all I use for polishing on my 3401.
One thing I will add is that they are a little harder to rinse out then the regular flat LC pads.

Pros:
Cut great/Finish great
Use less product (I personally haven`t experienced this being that much different... probably due to my personal process)

Cons:
A few more seconds to clean the pads out
More care must be taken to ensure durability

mikenap
09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
One thing I will add is that they are a little harder to rinse out then the regular flat LC pads.

I thought this was the case as well, since you`d squeeze it and bubbles keep coming from it forever, making you think you haven`t rinsed it well enough. Then someone explained that it was because they are closed cell foam that they keep bubbling like that. Now I just rinse until the bubbles are clear and call it a day.

Rob T
09-08-2010, 09:41 PM
No issues with the backing, but the foam doesn`t last as long as the classic pads. But they work better!

PAR Detailing
09-09-2010, 04:50 AM
I just got a shipment of both in from PAC. I have been using 6.5 but wanted to switch to 5.5 for my rotary and I circumsized my flex backing plate like GEWB did so I could use the 5.5`s as well.
Again they are wonderful pads and I always look to those first. I have not had a single issue with any of my pads. I have 20+ 6.5 pads and have not had a single issue with any of them. I doubt I will see any problems with the 5.5 either. Like I said in another post just remove them from the backing plate carefully and let them fully dry.