PDA

View Full Version : Old paint, new paint

Pages : [1] 2

imported_memnuts
12-29-2001, 08:53 AM
Last night ( pretty sad .. Friday night and home detailing a undriven car :() I applied a coat of Z5. What I did differently was to apply a thin coat without moistening the foam applicator with Z6. To my surprise the results were improved. It dried faster, removed easier and appears to fill-in the minor swirls better. Has anyone else noticed or tried this procedure? I guess this is like applying Z5 full strength.

imported_Intermezzo
12-30-2001, 12:06 AM
I always apply Z-5 with no lubricant. Couldn`t tell you if that`s what was causing the better results. However, I can tell you that I`ve spent many Friday nights detailing my car, sometimes past midnight!! :)

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-30-2001, 01:27 AM
with nice looking cars though...:p i only use a damp applicator for Z2....i use Z5 dry...im not sure why...i think DK or somebody told me once...good results too....i think alot of people are coming around to using Z5 alone...and never bothering with Z2...i still use it but sparingly

Redcar GUY
12-30-2001, 01:34 AM
I do both, Sometimes with the Z6 sometimes with out, I find that it is easer to wip off with out the Z6 but better Dust Resistance with the Z6.:)

Lemonxxs
01-03-2002, 06:30 PM
This people is the last word from FLONI in some time.... WHERE art thou FLONI?????

rstype
01-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Yea, he was last online 12:39 PM 01-03-2002 and his last post was on 12-30-2001 06:27 AM.

currituckf150
09-05-2010, 10:07 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/xpoms7.jpg
The silver was added to my truck in March of this year. The green is original & is filled w/ swirl marks, stains, chips & touch-up spots. Getting the green repainted is out of the question now. I have a GG6 DA & pads but not sure what Meguairs products to use on either. I have used the DC system but I think the green could look better. I know its not gonna be a show truck but I would like to make it look as good as possible. Thanks.

imported_Flash Gordon
09-05-2010, 10:25 PM
There are many others here who have alot more expierence then me working on SS paint, but if were me I would go with either M86 or Megs 105 via a orange or yellow 5.5" pad. Then follow with 205 with either a white or blue pad :-B

That really is a great looking truck you have there @-)

currituckf150
09-05-2010, 10:39 PM
That really is a great looking truck you have there @-)
Thanks. If you like that 1, you should love this 1. This truck would have been my DD
http://i50.tinypic.com/hs6lqu.jpg
But this happened 11/23/09
http://i50.tinypic.com/2rz71nn.jpg
I just spent 1.5 years restoring it. The truck was parked at work when it happened. It wouldn`t buff out.

imported_Flash Gordon
09-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Awe man, I was so syked into the first photo I wasn`t prepared for the next one. Wow, that really sucked. Did a driver run off the road or something? That had to be hit at a high rate of speed to do that kinda damage to that heavy piece of iron :blacksmith:

currituckf150
09-05-2010, 11:06 PM
A lady ran into the back of a co-worker as he was turning in. His truck was a Dakota & it went up & over a flowerbed, through a fence then into the truck. I was devastated. Just 3 weeks earlier I sold my 93 F150 that I had bought brand new, that was even more devastating. The only good thing about it was her insurance company settled w/ me in 5 days & gave me full clean retail value.

imported_Flash Gordon
09-06-2010, 05:56 AM
A lady ran into the back of a co-worker as he was turning in. His truck was a Dakota & it went up & over a flowerbed, through a fence then into the truck. I was devastated. Just 3 weeks earlier I sold my 93 F150 that I had bought brand new, that was even more devastating. The only good thing about it was her insurance company settled w/ me in 5 days & gave me full clean retail value.

Man, thats a crying shame for sure. I can semi relate. I had a Ford Tauras I purchased from a customer (hold the jokes, this thing was sweeeet) for the low low that his Mother had owned. It only had 14k on the clock when I took delievery so it was a great daily driver

Anyhow, me and my wife decided to go on a canoe trip to look for Bald Eagles @ Meeman Shelby Forrest State Park one weekend. The park ranger had everyone follow each other in there own vehicles to a remote location where the canoes were waiting on us

Well, as always, I picked the wrong parking spot. (I parked under a 100 year old dead tree) We had just launched are canoe into the swamp when suddenly I heard the unmistakable sound of a tree dropping (do I have to say more) These 2 ladies came paddling up to us wanting to know if we were driving a white car. I replied, why yes, as a matter of fact we are. Why did a tree fall on it or something. She replied, why yes, as a matter of fact it did and you should check it out

We decided it would do no good to stop are adventure at that moment so we continued on. By the time we were done and got back to the car there were 4 or 5 park rangers at the scene trying to decide what to do. I was in a bit of shock myself when I saw the condition of my whip. The tree had landed mainly on the LR quarter panel/trunk area. It totally smashed it in and bent the axle. The rangers informed me to retrieve my car I would have to have someone cut the limbs off and call a wrecker service. I asked if I could try to drive it out and they said they couldn`t allow that because of the safety factor

Well, I waited untill these guys were pre occupied and slipped into my car and commensed to give it a go for myself. I was ripping and roaring, going from low gear to reverse with the pedal to the medal. I finally got that sucker free from the tree. My car was a real site to see, but amazingly it was still driveable, but was totaled. I ended up with a pretty nice settlement from the insurance company, but quite honestly, I would have rather just had the car in the mint condition it was in

Sorry about the long winded story. Sometimes my mind takes these trips down memory lane and for some reason I feel I must relive them :out:

David Fermani
09-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Why not try M105/205 with some LC orange/white pads. Too bad you couldn`t have had the body shop clear over the green on your truck. Your problems would be solved.

imported_richy
09-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Man, thats a crying shame for sure. I can semi relate. I had a Ford Tauras I purchased from a customer (hold the jokes, this thing was sweeeet) for the low low that his Mother had owned. It only had 14k on the clock when I took delievery so it was a great daily driver

Anyhow, me and my wife decided to go on a canoe trip to look for Bald Eagles @ Meeman Shelby Forrest State Park one weekend. The park ranger had everyone follow each other in there own vehicles to a remote location where the canoes were waiting on us

Well, as always, I picked the wrong parking spot. (I parked under a 100 year old dead tree) We had just launched are canoe into the swamp when suddenly I heard the unmistakable sound of a tree dropping (do I have to say more) These 2 ladies came paddling up to us wanting to know if we were driving a white car. I replied, why yes, as a matter of fact we are. Why did a tree fall on it or something. She replied, why yes, as a matter of fact it did and you should check it out

We decided it would do no good to stop are adventure at that moment so we continued on. By the time we were done and got back to the car there were 4 or 5 park rangers at the scene trying to decide what to do. I was in a bit of shock myself when I saw the condition of my whip. The tree had landed mainly on the LR quarter panel/trunk area. It totally smashed it in and bent the axle. The rangers informed me to retrieve my car I would have to have someone cut the limbs off and call a wrecker service. I asked if I could try to drive it out and they said they couldn`t allow that because of the safety factor

Well, I waited untill these guys were pre occupied and slipped into my car and commensed to give it a go for myself. I was ripping and roaring, going from low gear to reverse with the pedal to the medal. I finally got that sucker free from the tree. My car was a real site to see, but amazingly it was still driveable, but was totaled. I ended up with a pretty nice settlement from the insurance company, but quite honestly, I would have rather just had the car in the mint condition it was in

Sorry about the long winded story. Sometimes my mind takes these trips down memory lane and for some reason I feel I must relive them :out:

That`s a funny story.

As far as your paint goes, SS is not that much different. Your pads will turn colour, other than that it`s not such a big deal. I have done several. The suggestions for M105 and 205 are good. That`s what I used on my last one.

currituckf150
09-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Flash, that is a sad but funny story about your Taurus.

David, I don`t know if clearing over the green would`ve helped, this thing is a 50 footer right now(those cell phone pics make it look way better than it does)

Richy, you`re right about pads turning color. I surprised that there is still green on the truck as much as I washed out of the pads.

A few questions on pads, right now I have the orange & red pads from Groits, where do they stack up? Will another manufacturers pads work on the GG6? Thanks.