PDA

View Full Version : pictures

Pages : [1] 2

Lone Wolf
12-28-2001, 07:56 PM
Im trying to get rid of some major swirls on a white 1995 Contour. You cant feel them but there are tons. Ive tried #9 2.0 with the PC/yellow pad about 4 times and it didnt do much good. I think I will need FI II. Should I try SMR before the FI II or is it the same as Meguires #9?? What about Perfect-It compound..Im assuming that is more abrasive than FI II??

Thanks!!

BTW--PC 7424 is AWESOME!!

:D

Lemonxxs
12-28-2001, 08:14 PM
SMR does not remove swirls you can feel. This is dangerous ground due to clear being scratched. be careful!!

Lone Wolf
12-28-2001, 08:19 PM
Well you CAN`T feel the swirls at all but the #9

didnt do any good. I followed Carguy`s tech and applied alot of pressure and gradually went lighter but nothing happened:(

BradE
12-28-2001, 08:21 PM
Step up to the Finesse-It II that should help the problem. It may take several applications to remove the marks, and if there is a haze left polish it down with a finer abrasive like SMR.

Lemonxxs
12-28-2001, 08:23 PM
My bad. I read it wrong. Been looking at this tiny monitor all day.

Listen to SL He is pretty swuft and knows what he is doing. Go harsher if the light stuff don`t work.

Good luck;)

rstype
12-28-2001, 08:24 PM
Meguiar’s #9 2.0 is similar to 3M SMR in abrasive-ness, so step up to the Finesse-It if multiple applications of #9 doesn’t work.

Or it might be that you’re too picky… in a good way that is. Any car will have a small bit of swirls or marring… its just whether you can see them or not. Are the swirls you’re trying to remove under regular lighting conditions… or are they only visible with fluorescents?

Glozz
12-28-2001, 08:29 PM
I would hold off on the Perfect-IT II and try applying the SMR by hand with moderate pressure. Use front to back motion. The follow it by using the yellow pad and a glaze product before waxing the surface.

If this does not work out, I`d then step up to Perfect-IT II by hand, followed by SMR on a yellow pad with the PC. Top off with a good quality glaze and finish with wax.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2001, 08:29 PM
They are visible under regular lighting..The car is white so you can only see them at certain angles but if I shine a flashlight close to the surface at the correct angle you can see them clearly..I dont expect tto get them all out but I think I should be able to get alot of them..

imported_BretFraz
12-28-2001, 08:45 PM
I had the same problem (SMR not removing scratches) so I went to FI2 with my PC and the Meguiar`s yellow pad. The FI2 worked better but it wasn`t magic; I still see a few scratches that will prolly have to be removed by hand.

After the FI2 step you`ll need to redo the SMR step as the FI2 will leave swirl marks. But look at the finish closely before the SMR step. You may not need it as your car is white and might hide the light swirls (of course, you will always <em class=`bbc`>know[/i] they`re there and this could lead to a loss of sleep, no appetite, lethargy at work, etc).

My car is dark green and if the FI2 steps with the PC doesn`t do the trick, I`ll have to bump the Defcon meter up another notch. That means a rotary buffer. Only a rotary will generate enough heat to remove the visible scratches. This is one of the few negatives of the PC; not enough speed to do every kind of job.

Let us know how things work out. Anyone can make a new car look great - it takes talent and hard work to bring an old car back to life.

Lone Wolf
12-28-2001, 08:54 PM
Like I said before I don`t expect miracles but I think even I should be able to get alot of them out!! The #9 2.0 worked great on my 2001 Red Dakota but those swirls were very light..

Can`t wait to get my Blackfire order so I can try it on the fire engine..I mean ahh...truck!!!

:p

Don2000g
01-01-2002, 10:37 AM
You`ve got to love Norm Petersen from Cheers.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Norm was da man!!

vettefan67
01-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Can someone who has used both of these products please comment on this? I`d love a comparison. Maybe if #9 is less effective than SMR it would be great for removing SMR hazing after applying by hand?

Glozz
01-01-2002, 01:08 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Can someone who has used both of these products please comment on this? I`d love a comparison. Maybe if #9 is less effective than SMR it would be great for removing SMR hazing after applying by hand? [/b]</blockquote>
I`ve used both products and I`m a now a steadfast 3M product user. I think the issue that most have with SMR is that you really have a hard time doing repairs by hand. I strongly sugges that you use at a minimum, a PC.

What I use after 3M SMR is Meguiar`s "Show Car Polish" and that really gives the paint a nice pre-wax/sealant finish.

Again, I`ll stress that I gave up on "by hand" it just is too much work and the return is always less then 100% not matter what product I use, or what the directions state.

Stick with 3M it`s a better product.

boywonder
01-01-2002, 02:09 PM
Technically, the 3M is a better product in swirl removal but as the others have said, you might have more severe swirls that a product such as #9 or 3M SMR cannot remove and you would have to go to a product like FI II or as bret said, go to a rotary buffer. :D