PDA

View Full Version : G110 v.2 worth it?

RoboDude
12-27-2001, 03:44 AM
Hey,

I posted a while back on stuff (cheapo stuff) that I got a hold of to wash and wax my car. So far.... nothing. I still haven`t waxed or washed my car by hand! :( It`s been about 3 months now since I have had the car, and all I`ve done to it is wash it at the gas staion`s touchless auto wash 2 time last week. I had to do something because to much dirt and bird poop was on it... and being baked on to the paint. It helped out a bit...but the roof is a mess, after the 2 passes I can still feel the dirt baked on to the roof with my hands! :( Not good...

But thats not all.... Yesterday the 26th, My car was punched by some punk and broke off my left side mirror!! But what sucks is that the action caused some bad scratches to the area around the side mirror. :mad: :mad: :mad:

What should I do about the scratches? Should I let my Ford dealer handle only the Side mirror? And fix the scratches some where else?

Thanks...

shinnster
12-27-2001, 05:43 AM
Dude that sucks,

All i can suggest is that you get your mirror fixed, and if you don`t trust your abilities to fix the scratches then take your car to a pro detailer to get them fixed. I wouldn`t trust the dealer unless they have a good reputation for that. I`ve known many a dealer that will mess up your car while trying to wash it. Just find some time and give your car some love.

RoboDude
12-27-2001, 05:47 AM
How can I locate a good detailer? Does any one know of a good in Miami, FL???

I`ll add PICs as soon as I get my friends digital camera...

:rolleyes:

--Thanks

Preachers Sheets
12-27-2001, 08:28 AM
Don`t worry about the dirt or grime, it`s nothing some clay and a nice polish can`t repair and a nice glaze/wax on top of that to give it the new look.

About the scratches, depending on how bad they are I would probaly let the dealer take care of it. If you can post that pic it would give me/us a better idea of what your dealing with.

vettefan67
12-27-2001, 09:17 AM
Go to www.autoint.com and click the link on the left hand side for find a detailer.

By the way, get the mirror fixed before getting it detailed. Do all of your mechanic stuff before detailing, since they often scratch the car up :mad:

imported_jking
12-27-2001, 10:55 AM
Man when something like that happens - the angry - people disrespecting other peoples property. Do not know how experienced or adventureous you are but check out the archieves - under BradB on 12/07/01 - about the garage attacking the Audi - this may help you in trying to fix the scratches yourself. Brad had some pictures of before and after of the fix he did with the post but I tried to view them and I could not get them - but if you can see the pics you can see if his fix could apply to your damage - if you can not get the pics at least there is a proven way - as the MASTER does it - to fix this type of damage. I have done fixes similar to this and the advice - if you do it yourself - slow and easy, watching very closely your process - and you will be amazed at the results. Lots of luck which ever you you get it fixed. MTS

imported_User Name
09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I have the G110 first incarnation and I`ve read a lot of good stuff about the second version.

Kevin Brown`s endorsement (in and of itself) should probably be enough, but I thought I would check with the rest of you folks.

My current G110 is in perfect working order. I think it is great and it fulfills my detailing needs in every way. I`m not doing as much detailing as I was in the past, because my job doesn`t really allow it anymore.

So, I have NO need for two of them, but was thinking of selling the original G110 for the second version. It really isn`t a question of money, but more of a question of "is it that much better" to warrant me getting it.

What say you? If you`ve used both, tell me why the second version is or isn`t worth it. I know the "technical" differences between the two, but I`m more interested in hearing the real world reasons why I should or should not get it.

Thanks.

imported_Kevin Brown
09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
If the G110 is, as you say, in perfect working order, save your dough.
Although the v2 does offer some nice features, I doubt you`ll be thinking, "This is the best purchase I`ve ever made- I am SO glad I replaced my G110 with a G110v2!"

The G110 is a very capable machine.
As an example, I still use my G110 for heavy duty polishing duties. It is every bit as good as any machine out there. While the G110v2 does feature a better speed dial, externally replaceable brushes, and cruise control, these improvements don`t relegate the G110 to the parts bin.

Great things are coming to the paint polishing world.
SEMA is right around the corner..! And PAC will happily take your hard earned dollars in trade for some yet to be released super-fly gizmos!

Assuming you don`t already have one...
You would be wiser to put the money towards a small air compressor to better clean your pads with.

There is simply no substitute for proper pad priming, proper methodology, and proper cleaning of the pad during the polishing process.

Advances in technology (and a little birdie) tells me that the biggest and most powerful motors will not be as important to removing heavy defects. As for final polishing... speed and power are NOT that important, anyhoo... CLEAN pads ARE!!!

imported_User Name
09-02-2010, 01:08 PM
If the G110 is, as you say, in perfect working order, save your dough.
Although the v2 does offer some nice features, I doubt you`ll be thinking, "This is the best purchase I`ve ever made- I am SO glad I replaced my G110 with a G110v2!"

The G110 is a very capable machine.
As an example, I still use my G110 for heavy duty polishing duties. It is every bit as good as any machine out there. While the G110v2 does feature a better speed dial, externally replaceable brushes, and cruise control, these improvements don`t relegate the G110 to the parts bin.

Great things are coming to the paint polishing world.
SEMA is right around the corner..! And PAC will happily take your hard earned dollars in trade for some yet to be released super-fly gizmos!

You would be wiser to put the money towards a small air compressor to better clean your pads with.

There is simply no substitute for proper pad priming, proper methodology, and proper cleaning of the pad during the polishing process.

Advances in technology (and a little birdie) tells me that the biggest and most powerful motors will not be as important to removing heavy defects. As for final polishing... speed and power are NOT that important, anyhoo... CLEAN pads ARE!!!

Kevin,

Thanks a ton. I value your opinion a lot and I appreciate the candid response and suggestion for a small air compressor. I do own one, but I`m wondering if there is a specific model you might have in mind that I could look at (to throw some money at)!!!

Along the same lines, right now I use a combination of Meg`s 6" pads (of the W8006 variety) and a bunch of LC 4" pads (some CCS some Flat). I wanted to get some 5.5" pads... should I be waiting for the big SEMA reveal before I make my move?

I currently live in Soviet Canuckistan, so my detailing days are coming to an end for the year (alas my Garage is not heated and I`m not too fond of detailing in -10c).

imported_glfahlc
09-02-2010, 05:11 PM

i also have one but don`t know how i would use it to clean pads. is this to use when i`m polishing the car or after i`ve finished using the pads and have soaked em...