PDA

View Full Version : What got you into cars?

Pages : [1] 2

kiltman
12-27-2001, 01:22 AM
I put 303 on all the black trim on the outside of both my cars. It rained the next day and the black trim had all run marks in them.:( Is 303 supposed to be water proof. I was using Turtle wax wet and black before and it never ran. This happen to anyone else?Should I not use the 303 on the outside trim?

imported_Dude
12-27-2001, 02:11 AM
I have noticed this too. It even happened to my INTERIOR trim- it started to rain suddenly while I was driving with the window open. Before I could roll up the window, some rain came in and ran down the inside of my door. The rain seemed to wash the 303 away; it left streaks.

Bob Post
12-27-2001, 02:34 AM
it won`t do everything. It`s slightly better than other products at lasting, but not much. I have not seen too many products that last long, it`s hard to formulate so your case is common.

forrest@mothers
12-27-2001, 10:28 AM
After you applied the 303, did you buff/remove the excess with a clean terry cloth towel?

Sounds like there was too much product on the surface.

DETAILKING
12-27-2001, 10:30 AM
Go over the areas with a towel and buff off the excess an hour or so after application. I do this with Z16 and 303, and have no running problems...........

kiltman
12-27-2001, 10:50 AM
No I did not buff. I will try that Thanks Guys

JonB
12-27-2001, 01:15 PM
I think Z16 is a bit less prone to running on the exterior trim. But I make sure I buff off any excess. Sometimes, it will run slightly, especially the 303 on the convertible roof, but only on the first rain or wash.

H

imported_memnuts
12-27-2001, 01:23 PM
It seems like you use 303 on your `stang`s convertible top. Is it vinyl or canvas. If canvas how does it work. I was contemplating applying a light coat on my canvas top (black) just for a slight sheen. The car is never driven in the rain. Really interested to see if you are already doing this. Thanks :D

BradE
12-27-2001, 01:33 PM
blkZ28Conv,

Try the 303 Fabric Guard on your canvas top, not the aerospace protectant. The fabric guard will make the water bead like crazy, and it contains UV blockers to help protect against fading. :up

JonB
12-27-2001, 03:36 PM
My top is vinyl and using the 303 for vinyl. They also make a fabric protectant which is for canvass.

H

Lemonxxs
12-27-2001, 04:07 PM
303 and the such are water based so water will delute them if they have not been buffed or dried. It is the only drawback since they are PDMS type protectants.

imported_Intermezzo
12-27-2001, 04:29 PM
I use 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on my canvas top and yes, the water beads like freshly picked concord grapes (maybe that`s a bad example.) It never ran when washing, but then again, it was always a week after applying.

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-27-2001, 06:20 PM
303 is a strcit "as directed" product as far as longevity....gotta let it setpu and gotta buff it out...especially with exterior stuff..just thought i would post what has already been said ..just to be a knucklehead........:p :D

Todd@RUPES
09-01-2010, 07:02 PM
After reading Dave (Street Dream)`s thread, I started thinking, what got me into cars?

For me, at first, it was a video game called Street Rod II. It took place the early 1970`s, and you could swap out different engines for larger engines, switch to four barrel carbs headers, etc. I was hooked, and the fasted car you could build in the game was a `69 Corvette with a blown 427, 4.56 gears, etc. Thus my love of muscle car`s was always focused on Corvette`s and I got the bug hard.

Being a Corvette fan, meant that I was Chevy guy, hard core. At the time my dad bought a C3, and it became an obsession. I read Corvette books constantly, my hero`s where guys like Harley Earl, Bill Mitchell, and Zora Arkus Duntov. One of the first things I remember spending money on was a vintage `Duntov` camshaft that was once in a 327/375 horse Corvette. The solid lifter cam was no longer good and I only paid a couple of dollars for it, but man, it was cool.

This lead to a fascination with muscle car`s (again supported by my father when he purchased a `69 442). In fact much of my humble detailing beginnings can be traced to polishing Cragar wheels with Mother`s Aluminum Polish next to my dad at age 12. I mostly loved Chevy, but always like MOPAR and Ford (well not so much Ford, although a `70 Boss 302 is one of the most beautiful cars ever).

I really fell hard for the Dodge Viper, which replaced the Corvette ZR1 as my dream car. I felt guilty turning my back on my first love, but those curves, that V10.. man. I fell even harder for the `96 GTS coupe... And also for a little red car with a screaming engine called a Ferrari.

My friends and I had just turned 16 and we cruising around, when I saw the unmistakable silhouette in the passenger side mirror: A Ferrari F355, I had just read about these cars in Car and Driver (I read every C and D, Road and Track, and Motor Trend. This was before the internet, so the delivery of each in my mail box was a sacred moment). We stopped at a red light, and from the passenger seat I watched in awe as the Ferrari pulled along side of us.

Being young, and not knowing what to say, I yelled to the driver, "Is it Miller Time?" (popular television commercial from the era). The gentleman driving the car looked at his Rolex and then commented, "It will be in a couple of minutes boys." I had a new hero...

After examining the car for the brief time the traffic light I realized my jaw was on the floor and I was in love: Like when Michael Corleone first sees Appolonia in The Godfather, colpito con il tuono dell`amore : To be hit with the thunder clap of love.

The light turned green and the air was filled with an orchestra of such violent beauty, as 40 valves and 8 perfectly tuned cylinders blasted towards a 8000 rpm red-line. The rear tires fought briefly for traction, leaving wisps of white smoke, and letting the back end glide slightly to the right... I can still see it today.

The shift to second gear was Beethoven switching the key masterfully behind his piano. Perfect. The engine tone once again became a crescendo begging the shift to third. The Ferrari disappeared over a crest in the road, the owner sticking his thumb into the air. Definitely Miller Time!

The sound of a horn ruined the concert, and snapped us back to reality. It was just then that I realized that I wasn`t the only one in love. Our car of 4 kids hadn`t moved, we all were all in love. It wasn`t bad enough that the driver took her away from an all to brief interlude at a stoplight, but now I had to share her with these clowns.

imported_Luster
09-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I always loved cars. Dad was a Chevy guy and he would buy a new Impala every 2 years. My favorite was the `64 Impala SS, Red/Red, 327, bucket seats...

That`s the car that got me into cars.

Dad had no interest in keeping them clean, only running well mechanically. I did the detailing. I loved that car! I would wash it twice a week and wax it once a month! I was only 14 at the time...:redface::clap:

(This isn`t the car but...) It looked like this!:D

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/st/stlouiscarmuseum/1impalaSS409Red4SPD.jpg