PDA

View Full Version : Windshield cleaning

imported_Wes
12-26-2001, 06:35 PM
Happy Holidays everyone.

My local Orchard Supply Hardware`s tiny automotive department carrys a 100% Cotton Chenile wash mitts made by smArnold. $3.49.

I am in the Bayarea and I will give it a try as soon as my Viking 100% cotton mitts wears out.

It looks as dense and soft as the Vikings but the mitts is a little smaller in size/area.

For those folks who can`t get Vikings check out your local OSH if you have one.

Cheers.

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-26-2001, 08:16 PM
that makes the huge chenille mitts from CMA(and also makes the CMA MF mitt)....:up so it should be good

imported_Wes
12-26-2001, 08:33 PM
Thanks Floni for the info. Didn`t know that. Nice to have another source for 100% cotton mitts. It is also made in the USA.

BradE
12-26-2001, 09:00 PM
I have tried the smaller ones and they are not as good as the larger ones that CMA and TACS sell. The smaller mitts thin out when wet and are not as good of quality as the larger mitts, and they are patheticaly small.

S.M.Arnold makes different size and different quality mitts for different retailers depending on their market. Most of the local auto parts stores will not stock the higher quality mitt because Joe Sixpack is not going to send $7-$8 for a wash mitt. The quality of the smaller "chain store" mitts are not as high of quality as the larger mitts that are sold at high end detail shops.

Check out my review of the NAPA 100% cotton mitt (Same mitt you have) under the Product Reviews section for more detailed observations.

imported_Wes
12-27-2001, 03:23 PM
Thanks Showroom.

I just read your product review. Guess I will stick to my Vikings 100% mitts.

For the price/size ratio alone the Vikings I get for $3.99 in Kragen is a better value even if they are the same quality.

I was thinking it could be a good alternative for people who can`t get Vikings and don`t want to mail order mitts and keep using inferior sponges/pads.

I have also used the Detailer`s Choice Chenille mitts from Walmart. It is not marked 100% cotton but I have found it to cause no scratches on the paint at all. It is about the same size as the Vikings. But the stiches on the 2 upper corners do sticks out a bit so I have to be a bit careful when using it but luckily it is quite thick so it is not a big problem.

rstype
12-27-2001, 03:52 PM
I bought the Detailer`s Choice wash pad yesterday. You can feel the backing underneath once you dig under the chenile pile. Just use it carefully with the 2+ bucket method and you`ll be fine.

Btw my pants were covered with fibers from the wash pad. Wash it before using!

James Coyner
08-31-2010, 08:11 PM
I just purchased a new 2010 Subaru, and there is still residue on the windshield from the markers used on it at the dealer. I have gone the gentle route with Invisible Glass, Windex, etc., but you can see the writing when the windshield fogs in the morning. Any ideas would be appreciated.

GoFast908Z
08-31-2010, 08:18 PM
If its on the outside try some #0000 steel wool with Invisible Glass, or a dedicated glass polish. That should do it.

imported_Luster
09-01-2010, 09:06 AM
You can also use a finish polish such as Meg`s M205 by hand or machine.;)

imported_detailchick
09-01-2010, 09:52 AM
If all else fails try a new razorblade.

be gentle and dont dig in :wink:

Leadfootluke
09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
You can also use a finish polish such as Meg`s M205 by hand or machine.;)

I`ve only used this in small spots, but a polish does remove/abrade the surface and did a great job at removing decal residue from windows.

And make sure you`re aware of tint or other exceptions that could be damaged :thumbup:

imported_Flash Gordon
09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
If all else fails try a new razorblade.

be gentle and dont dig in :wink:

This would be the route I would take ^ Be sure and use a "fresh" blade :-B

Legacy99
09-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Use the least aggressive method as most new windshields have a coating.

imported_Luster
09-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I`ve only used this in small spots, but a polish does remove/abrade the surface and did a great job at removing decal residue from windows.

And make sure you`re aware of tint or other exceptions that could be damaged :thumbup:

I should have specified to use polish on the EXTERIOR glass only. I have used Zaino Glass Polish and found it to work well, but IMO M205 works just as well.