PDA

View Full Version : Another noob question: Cleaning LC Pads

Pages : [1] 2

ka1srs
12-23-2001, 10:26 AM
I Dawn`d/clayed/Klasse AIO-SG in the fall, and everything is still very shiny and slick.

Just rain so far.

But we`ll see some snow in Central Ohio.

One "trick" I use is WD-40 in the wheel wells...to keep crud from sticking.

The car is garaged and I run to a nearby coin-op for rinses if there is salt.

I`m open to any suggestions for products that`ll help.

ALM
12-23-2001, 07:04 PM
I think you`d almost be better off rinseing in your own driveway. Whenever I drive by thoese coin-op carwashes I cringe at the though of my car being blasted my high pressure.

You might also want to think about using a good water-based dressing such as 303 or Vynlex to dress the seals of your door jambs, etc. as the cold weather dries they out and speeds of the process of them dry rotting.

Finnally, Wash as frequently as possible to remove the salt and junk from your car!

Gimlet
08-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey everyone. Hope you dont mind me posting this under the newbie section. And its probably already answered but I am in a time crunch and do no have much time to go looking. Anyways...I got my LC pads and am wondering how to clean them the best so they last as long. I know I can order the Snappy Cleaner Packets. But I dont want to keep ordering them and spending the money if there is a cheaper and just as effective way to do so. So anyone know a way I can take care of my pads without ordering packets every month or two?

Thanks,
Gimlet

imported_glfahlc
08-26-2010, 05:57 PM
after use i soak mine in soapy water for a time. then rinse real good and set em out to air dry

Harleyguy
08-26-2010, 07:22 PM
after use i soak mine in soapy water for a time. then rinse real good and set em out to air dryI also agree with this but i also use a soft bristle bush and clean out any left over product and it also helps to get out some of the deeper crap left behind .

Gimlet
08-26-2010, 07:36 PM
by soapy water do you mean dish soap or the left over from washing the car?

Todd@RUPES
08-27-2010, 06:29 AM
by soapy water do you mean dish soap or the left over from washing the car?

If this is how you are going to clean the pads, then a dish soap is likely going to work better. But it will take a long time to rinse the residue completely out of hhe pad. I use Meguiar`s Super Degreaser diluted 10:1 (water:degreaser) and dunk the pad underwater to help rinse it.

Jack Kruer
08-27-2010, 06:48 AM
While there are many ways people clean their pads, the biggest point on using Snappy Clean is it was developed for this specific task. The chances of leaving residue in the pad, that could cause contamination problems latter, or pad failure from improper cleaning, is greatly diminished. We have found a number of people that have problems with various polishes or sealants have used a variety of detergents to clean their pads and did not rinse the residue of the detergent out correctly. When you purchase the S-CLEAN12 (http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/pksnclpadclp2.html)(12 pack), use your TID discount, the price comes down to .82 per use. Not really expensive to properly clean the 4-5-6 pads you may have paid $60 for.

jk

Gimlet
08-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Wait...I can get a discount for TID? :clap: How so?

Todd@RUPES
08-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Wait...I can get a discount for TID? :clap: How so?

When you check out at www.properautocare.com there is a box at the bottom that asks for a coupon code. Type TID10 into the code and you are all set. Note some exceptions may apply.

imported_RaskyR1
08-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Cleaning them shorty after using them is key IMO. If you let them sit for a few days (Like I usually do) they are a lot harder to get clean. If you get to them before the polish gets all dried and crusty they usually wash out with ease. I`ve really been trying to be a lot more diligent on cleaning mine immediately after use lately. ;)

The pad washers and snappy clean are nice, but I often just resort to using an APC as Todd suggested, though I`ve been using APC+ instead of Super Degreaser. ;)

admin_old
08-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Gimlet:
When you completed your initial signup, you would receive a Welcome e-mail from me.
In that e-mail is a mention of your TID discount code.
The code is TID10.
It`s good on most all of the products sold at PAC.

Hope this helps.

imported_Luster
08-28-2010, 08:35 AM
I saturate the pad surface with Meguiar`s APC, let soak for 15 minutes or so, then immerse in a sink of warm water and scrub them with a stiff brush to release all the polish. Rinse with clear water and let air dry on a towel.

grungy
08-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Bill - have you seen any difference with Meg`s APC vs APC+? I only have the + so I am wondering if the foaming stuff works better for cleaning pads.

Old Pirate
08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
I just wash up 10 pads today from yesterdays detail with snappy clean, they all look new again for the next job coming up.