PDA

View Full Version : Photos from ALMS at RA

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Dude
12-22-2001, 02:24 AM
I currently have four layers of Meguiar`s #20 on my car. I want to remove it. I emailed Meguiar`s to ask how best to do this. Here is their reply:

--------
Matthew,
Thank you for the e-mail. Any type of paint cleaner would strip this product off your vehicle. I would use the Body Scrub. This is very easy to find in any auto store in your area. It is non abrasive and very safe and easy to use. This will remove any slight imperfections in the paint as well as strip the #20 off your car. Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely,
Mark Fraze

----------

What do you think of this reccomendation? Has anyone tried their Clear Coat Body scrub? Is it <em class=`bbc`>really[/i] nonabrasive? While their email says it has no abrasives, the Meguiar`s website, on the other hand, says "body scrup uses mild abrasives..."

My paint is in very good shape, and I am loathe to use an abrasive on it. Any advice?

imported_Intermezzo
12-22-2001, 03:11 AM
If you`re gonna go the Klasse route, I`d use AIO.

bwp86
12-22-2001, 07:49 AM
I have used the body scrub cleaner on my brother`s car ( maxima 98. black one). He does not wax it at all. It was maintained using regular turtle wax fast sprays, silicones,...etc. This cleaner was wonderful, it removed the light swirls on the car, and indeed I did not expect to have such results.

I give it :up

JimO
12-22-2001, 10:20 AM
I`ve used Meguiar`s Body Scrub Cleaner on 2 white vehicles already. The only reason I used it was because both vehicles had stains that could not be removed by regular car wash. A lot of scrubing with Body Scrub Cleaner took the stains right off.

My bottle also says it has "mild abrasives" so it`s confusing for the Meguiar`s rep to email you saying that it`s a "non-abrasive" product. As Intermezzo mentioned already, if you`re going the Klasse route, just use AIO. This is a great product, but I`m not sure about using it on a new car.

Here`s the thread with a lot of pictures showing how bad the stains were and how good Meguiar`s Body Scrub removed the stains.
http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5568 (`http://www.autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5568`)

imported_BretFraz
12-22-2001, 11:35 AM
Well, if it were me, and I wanted to remove a polymer product that had likely bonded to my paint, I`d use something like Prepsol or a similar body shop product that is designed to remove <em class=`bbc`>everything[/i] except paint.

I assume you want to remove the #20 in order to apply a different product?

imported_Dude
12-22-2001, 12:18 PM
Thanks! I will get the Prepsol. I want to remove the #20 to apply Blackfire and Z.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2001, 01:56 PM
Listen to Bretfraz..he knows what he`s talking about!!

BTW Ive used Body Scrub on my wifes white car and it wirks pretty good..left the paint nice and smooth and didnt scratch..:up

LW

jps
12-22-2001, 02:02 PM
I don`t know the #20 look - but if it is similar to Z (relatively little change to the color), try doing the BF right over the #20.

The worst thing that could happen is you will go back to plan A - strip everything. The best is you continue to get the protection of #20 and the look of the BF (or Z).

rmccall6
12-22-2001, 05:12 PM
I thought we all knew that polishes remove sealants..?....

ALM
12-22-2001, 05:42 PM
Dude- Id strip the Meguiar`s Sealeant off your car, and start fresh with the BF. Get yourself a good 3M polish or PPCL. That will take the sealeant off your car. I dont know too much about body scrub, but the name implies something heavy duty, and i dunno if you want that.

imported_doug
12-22-2001, 06:20 PM
I now have the most recent Meguiar`s catalog in front of me. And I quote:

"Body scrub uses mild abrasives, chemical cleaners and paint nutrients....."

Your Meguiar`s contact needs to do his homework!

rmccall6
12-22-2001, 06:38 PM
The Meguirs contact is consitantly wrong, they seem more like marketers than actuall detailers. And trying not to sound like a "zaino zealot" or a "blackhead", but definatly get some Blackfire, its awesme.

Koyaanisqatsi
12-22-2001, 08:45 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Brad4rdHay [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I thought we all knew that polishes remove sealants..?.... [/b]</blockquote>
ditto :D

JonB
12-22-2001, 08:59 PM
News Flash... Blackfire Polish removes old sealants and does a great job of polishing/prepping the surface...follow with Blackfire Paint Protection...forget PPCL...forget Prepsol...

I would say the Blackfire Polish is at least the equivalent of AIO in polishing abilities...maybe better. Its only function is to polish. AIO is a one step cleaner/polisher. The Blackfire polish must be followed with the Protectant as opposed to AIO, which lays down a pretty nice layer of polymer. Blackfire polish completely removed the haze from Finesse II. I personally found it better than PPCL..... Making the move from Klasse to Blackfire to see if it solves the mystery haze problem that several of us have with Klasse. I might even throw a layer of Zaino on there to see how that combo looks on a dark car.

H

imported_Intermezzo
12-22-2001, 09:20 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Brad4rdHay [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>The Meguirs contact is consitantly wrong, they seem more like marketers than actuall detailers. And trying not to sound like a "zaino zealot" or a "blackhead", but definatly get some Blackfire, its awesme. [/b]</blockquote>
Brad,

How does it compare to Klasse? Would you say that it`s definitely better?