PDA

View Full Version : boat detailing...well more like a Yacht

Pages : [1] 2

Blackmirror
12-21-2001, 08:28 PM
WHat do you use to clean the applicators? I want to clean them by hand. Would any dish detergent work? Or go with something like Tide detergent?

Lemonxxs
12-21-2001, 09:49 PM
I soak them in a bucket of Dawn first. Then I wash them with the rest of my MFs using tide or such on the gentle cycle in hot water!. Then to the dryer on gentle as well.

Blackmirror
12-27-2001, 07:11 PM
can i wash the MF applicators with my white cotton Charisma towels?

BradE
12-27-2001, 08:09 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

can i wash the MF applicators with my white cotton Charisma towels?</blockquote>

No, do not wash them together. The Microfiber will pick up the lint from the cotton in the Charisma`s. Always wash MF products alone.

Don2000g
01-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Follow Showroom`s advice. You should always wash microfiber items separately. This especially holds true with microfiber towels. The applicators may not be as problematic as the towels but I`d stay away from washing them with other items anyway. Laters

mikeyg402
08-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Ive done one boat before but nothing like this. This thing is absolutely huge. Yes that is a 8ft ladder at the end of the boat and it is sitting on a semi truck trailer. It was built for the ocean but has never seen salt water. It has only been on lake Okoboji. It hasnt been in the water for 2 years and hasnt been `detailed` for nearly 8 years. Its a 1992 model.

http://www.1320video.com/img/mikeyg/IMG00387_20100802_1154.jpg

All of the white is badly oxidized and needs to be cut and polished. But i dont know if I can use the same products I use on my car details? Also if anyone has done something of this size about how much time should it take me? I will get more detailed pics today.

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

imported_Flash Gordon
08-23-2010, 09:41 AM
Your going to need several wool pads and a heavy cut compound. I would also start by washing it with a APC/Dawn mixture. This will help knock out alot of the oxidation. Unless the owner is really opening up his wallett, I wou;dn`t bother claying

Once you get in a groove I think you will be surprised at how fast you will be able to get ur done. All your dealing with are alot of flat panels

Scaffoling would be ideal if theres anyway possible to get your hands on some (lot of places rent it)

Good Luck @-)

imported_Jokeman
08-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Charge accordingly, thats all I have to say.:eek: Boats and motorcycles are about the same to me.

imported_TLMitchell
08-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Your going to need several wool pads and a heavy cut compound. I would also start by washing it with a APC/Dawn mixture. This will help knock out alot of the oxidation.

I think I`d give a wool pad and Solo or D151 a shot and go for a 1-step. I don`t even wash boats first except for any gritty accumulations at the waterline.

YMMV... TL

mikeyg402
08-23-2010, 02:51 PM
I asked the owner if he had scaffolding available and he said he has a motorized scissor lift for me to use instead. They that owns this boat is also the same one that ownes the 70+ car collection I am also doing. In addition to this boat he has literally 20 others for me to do as well, including 8 jet ski`s. This boat isnt quite 80 feet, its 50. I thought it was on a typical 80ft trailer. So thats 30 less feet to work with! But I have enough to keep me busy for awhile. While I was letting some BFWD flash on a vette I cleaned a small white area and hit it with a wool pad, makita rotary on level 2 and some Hi-temp cutting company and it cleaned up really well.

The owner said the last time the boat was done, it took the guy approx 100 hours to polish it entirely and he wasnt happy with it.So its my job to make it look better than new!

imported_Flash Gordon
08-23-2010, 06:05 PM
I asked the owner if he had scaffolding available and he said he has a motorized scissor lift for me to use instead. They that owns this boat is also the same one that ownes the 70+ car collection I am also doing. In addition to this boat he has literally 20 others for me to do as well, including 8 jet ski`s. This boat isnt quite 80 feet, its 50. I thought it was on a typical 80ft trailer. So thats 30 less feet to work with! But I have enough to keep me busy for awhile. While I was letting some BFWD flash on a vette I cleaned a small white area and hit it with a wool pad, makita rotary on level 2 and some Hi-temp cutting company and it cleaned up really well.

The owner said the last time the boat was done, it took the guy approx 100 hours to polish it entirely and he wasnt happy with it.So its my job to make it look better than new!

He has a motorized scissor lift? :drool5: Man, I would love to have one of those. This will make your job so much safer and eaiser @-)

Old Pirate
08-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Wow, a big one there. For sure it will keep you very busy. Take a look at these fine products for gel coat.

http://properautocare.com/noname.html

http://properautocare.com/shurhold.html

any questions call me at PAC............:wizard:

imported_Luster
08-23-2010, 09:38 PM
1. Charge by the hour
2. Do one panel at a time
3. Don`t get ahead of yourself
4. Take your time
5. Over-estimate your time

I`ve done RV`s that were that large or larger. I just estimate how long it will take to do each panel and add up the hours. Then I multiply by $45. :Dancing Dot: (No, I ain`t cheap!)

But remember, this is a job that nobody wants to do and you drew the short straw! Don`t be afraid to charge him for the work!

This RV is not quite as big as that boat. It took me 9 hours to polish and seal. BUT! It didn`t take much polishing because it was in excellent shape.

The large flat side panels went really fast.

The problems come in when you have to climb, lay down, bend, stretch, and be a contortionist to do the polishing!!!

I`d give him an estimate range. Say 12-16 hours depending on how many problems you run into.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/motorhome/IMG_3409.jpg

mikeyg402
08-23-2010, 10:41 PM
1. Charge by the hour
4. Take your time

I`ve done RV`s that were that large or larger. I just estimate how long it will take to do each panel and add up the hours. Then I multiply by $45. :Dancing Dot: (No, I ain`t cheap!)

But remember, this is a job that nobody wants to do and you drew the short straw! Don`t be afraid to charge him for the work!

This RV is not quite as big as that boat. It took me 9 hours to polish and seal. BUT! It didn`t take much polishing because it was in excellent shape.

The problems come in when you have to climb, lay down, bend, stretch, and be a contortionist to do the polishing!!!

I`d give him an estimate range. Say 12-16 hours depending on how many problems you run into.

When i worked in the semi truck body shop, I worked there for about 4 years. I polished cabs, trailers, septic tanks lol, and even a few stainless steel gas trucks--those suck! So im used to big things, but this boat is way bigger than anything ive ever attempted. I told him $45 an hour, I was charging $30/hr for the classic cars I have been working on. Which i think is fair, the boat Marina`s around Okoboji here charge roughly $85+ an hour :out:

I tried another small spot today with the wool pad and my heavy cut 3m compound and it came out a ton better. So i will probably use that unless you guys recommend one of the products from pac. If there is something out there that doesnt dust as much and will be `quicker` id love to know!

Thanks guys for all your help!

imported_Flash Gordon
08-24-2010, 08:55 AM
1. Charge by the hour
4. Take your time

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/motorhome/IMG_3409.jpg

Great advice Bill :wizard: I would break this thing into a 2 day deal. Get it washed up and then test a few spots to plan your method of attack. Then go eat a steak and baked potatoe & salad somewhere, have a big milkshake for dessert. Then go nite nite Sleep

The next morning get an early start. Say around 5:00am :sarge Then hit the ground running. Go till you feel like your going to drop :soldier:

Yea, 12-16 is about what I would estimate. Of course in reality we know that means 16-24 :cursing:

Did that guy ever sell that RV? My Wife and I have still been looking around for something similar. Its just when we crunch the numbers we wonder if its just not cheaper to rent :-B

When i worked in the semi truck body shop, I worked there for about 4 years. I polished cabs, trailers, septic tanks lol, and even a few stainless steel gas trucks--those suck! So im used to big things, but this boat is way bigger than anything ive ever attempted. I told him $45 an hour, I was charging $30/hr for the classic cars I have been working on. Which i think is fair, the boat Marina`s around Okoboji here charge roughly $85+ an hour :out:

I tried another small spot today with the wool pad and my heavy cut 3m compound and it came out a ton better. So i will probably use that unless you guys recommend one of the products from pac. If there is something out there that doesnt dust as much and will be `quicker` id love to know!

Thanks guys for all your help!

Well, if you have expierence working at a truck wash then this should come 2nd nature to you. I think the 3M heavy cut compound would be a wise choice. As for the dusting...there is no way around that on this one. By the end of the day, you will have the biggest boogers you ever did see <:-P