PDA

View Full Version : Barry Meguiar in Monterey Hospital

Pages : [1] 2

Josiah
12-20-2001, 08:48 PM
My friend just got his 83 Firebird painted (no clearcoat, just the basecoat), a red color. The guys at Maco said don`t "wax it or anything" for 4 to 6 weeks so the paint will cure (not sure what word they used).

Is this true? Does paint really take 6 weeks to cure onto the car? I was going to go over tomorrow and show him how to use Klasse, and it seems to me it would be best to get a good coat of wax on there right away.

Josiah

andrew43
12-21-2001, 12:10 AM
Who knows what the Maaco guys are up to. I do know this much...in the factory where the car is built, after painting the car is subjected to a baking, which allows the paint to cure VERY quick. When you get panels/cars repainted, body shops obviously do not perform the baking step, which means that it does take longer for the paint to cure.

If I was him, I would wait a month or so and then go to work. Dont use a cleaner wax or a product that has strong solvents...I would go straight to Zaino or Klasse SG.

Scottwax
12-21-2001, 02:00 AM
You absolutely do not want to seal fresh, uncured paint with wax. The solvents used in paint take anywhere from 1 to 3 months to fully evaporate out of the paint and if you wax it too soon, the paint will eventually dull.

Factory paint can be waxed almost immediately, but the paint is baked at a much higher temperature than a paint shop can. Having batteries and tires explode from 500+ degree baking is not good.

You can polish the paint every day if you want (and the polish is mild enough) for some protection, but do not wax it until they have told you to.

DETAILKING
12-21-2001, 09:21 AM
How do solvents evaporate from the paint when it is sealed up with the CLEARCOAT?!

This post came from SAL ZAINO, a custom painter for 30 years.

Slight correction...

Late model paint technology doesn`t breathe, that`s an

old myth.. once it cures that`s it..... The older lacquers and enamels

needed time for the solvents to evaporate and release, that is where the

term "paint breathes" comes from. Wax would seal the paint and prevent

the solvents from

releasing. This led to a whole bunch of paint related problems. That`s

why paint manufacturers still tell you not to apply WAX for thirty days.

Because WAX does not let the paint breathe.. and actually suffocates

it.. Funny ain`t it....

All urethane paints and late technology paints use a catalyst for

hardening and

curing. The paint is fully cured in about 36 to 72 hours. That factory paint is already cured and needs protection against

airborne contaminants and UV rays.

-----------------------------------------------------

Now I don`t know what MACO does, but the most I would wait (and have done in the past) is 2 weeks to apply something. Now don`t go voiding your warranty or anything, but I really see no reason to wait.

andrew43
12-21-2001, 10:54 AM
Personally, I wouldnt be surprised if MAACO doesnt use any catalyst or anything...I mean, cmon, they will paint your whole car for $189. It will not hurt the car/paint to go without wax/protectant for a month to month and a half. Go with whatever THEY recommend, since they (hopefully) know what paint system they are using, how long it takes to cure, and they are the ones warranteeing it.

DETAILKING
12-21-2001, 11:08 AM
They usually offer those cheapo paint jobs because they skimp on the prep or expect you to do it. Almost every maaco paint job I have ever seen was flaking and chiping after a few years. They also BAKE their paint to speed up the process, so whatever defects are in the paint job are locked into the surface. More expensive shops will let the paint dry at ambient conditions in a clean dust free room and inspect the car every few hours and make sure its perfect.............

It`s a good short term paint solution................maaco that is.....

rstype
12-21-2001, 04:26 PM
I`m not a paint-shop professional, but I would wait and let the paint cure first. There is not harm in doing so, unlike risking to use a sealant or wax and damage it. I also don`t think most small car wax manufactures have insurance, etc. to pay for the damages.

And re the "How do solvents evaporate from the paint when it is sealed up with the CLEARCOAT?!"... this might answer it.

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Josiah [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>(no clearcoat, just the basecoat)
Josiah [/b]</blockquote>

Don2000g
12-22-2001, 11:11 AM
Good job of noticing that BW. Just wait the 4-5 weeks.

Scottwax
12-23-2001, 02:15 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>How do solvents evaporate from the paint when it is sealed up with the CLEARCOAT?!

This post came from SAL ZAINO, a custom painter for 30 years.
Slight correction...
Late model paint technology doesn`t breathe, that`s an
old myth.. once it cures that`s it..... The older lacquers and enamels
needed time for the solvents to evaporate and release, that is where the
term "paint breathes" comes from. Wax would seal the paint and prevent
the solvents from
releasing. This led to a whole bunch of paint related problems. That`s
why paint manufacturers still tell you not to apply WAX for thirty days.
Because WAX does not let the paint breathe.. and actually suffocates
it.. Funny ain`t it....
All urethane paints and late technology paints use a catalyst for
hardening and
curing. The paint is fully cured in about 36 to 72 hours. That factory paint is already cured and needs protection against
airborne contaminants and UV rays.

Now I don`t know what MACO does, but the most I would wait (and have done in the past) is 2 weeks to apply something. Now don`t go voiding your warranty or anything, but I really see no reason to wait. [/b]</blockquote>
Factory paint jobs can be waxed almost immediately, but not repaints. I know the owner of Mister Collision in Dallas who specializes in high end paint and body. He has a downdraft paint booth and uses Spies-Hecker paints. He specifically states in his warranty that any waxing before 3 months can cause the paint to dull and will void the warranty. Considering the incredible work he did on my car (the front end sustained $3000 in damage when someone turned left in front of me), and many of the other cars I`ve seen come out of his shop, I would heed his advice-and the front of my car was repainted with a clear coat. I do not know Sal personally but I do know Aldo, so I will take his word over Sal`s in this respect.

Lemonxxs
12-23-2001, 02:23 AM
I would err on the side of safe and wait. Why chance it and if you do wax or something and you pain gets messed up you have no recourse.

Jack Kruer
08-19-2010, 12:44 PM
TID members, I hve just learned of Barry Meguiar being gravely ill in a California hospital from my Autoweek Daily Drive (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100818/CARNEWS/100819825)Truly one of the pioneers of our industry and one most of us have had some contact with if only though the Meguiar`s product line. Our thoughts and prayers go out for a speedy recovery.

jk

imported_Flash Gordon
08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Terrible news. I will pray for Barry and his Doctors :angel:

Old Pirate
08-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Prayers to the Meguiar`s Family.

Todd@RUPES
08-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Terrible news. Prayers and wishes for a successful and healthy recovery!

Todd@RUPES
08-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Just saw this on MOL.

Hello Everyone,

We want to take a moment to bring you up to speed on Barry.

As many of you may have heard or read, Barry was admitted to the hospital over this past weekend. It appears he picked up a viral infection during his international travels for Car Crazy.

Barry is currently in stable condition and improving. He hopes to return to the LA area in the next few days.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. We will make sure they are passed along to Barry.

Mike