PDA

View Full Version : Do any of the advertised products really control brake dust?

Pages : [1] 2

kevin marks
12-18-2001, 12:24 PM
Hi,

My wonderful wife left the sunroof open in our integra last night when she went to dinner and naturally it started pouring. Any hints or tips to effectively dry out the black cloth seats? So far, I just have it parked in the sun with the windows cracked while at work but I`m worried about the long term interior moisture/fogging. Thanks for any suggestions.

Brian

"The original neatimes group buy dude"

imported_Page
12-18-2001, 12:46 PM
bmduncan,

Try patting dry with plenty of terry towels. A wet/dry vac can also work nicely. If you have a garage I would park the car inside, with the windows down and maybe have a fan blowing from one side to the other. The fan could provide more airflow and a "drying effect" on the wet seats.

I have not had this happen to me..just gave the first few suggestions that came to my mind.

SJ

andrew43
12-18-2001, 01:42 PM
I would recommend using a "Rug Doctor" or similar steam cleaner. First, vacuum with wet-dry vac to pull as much water out of the seat. Then, to clean and eliminate mildew, stem clean using the recommended solution.

YoSteve
12-18-2001, 05:16 PM
You posted...12-18-2001 12:24 PM, it isn`t dry yet ;)

I would just let nature do it`s thing, but it might not if it`s humid/raining out. If I were really nuts, then I would go for something that absorbs water like vermiculite, silicone beads, or that "dry rite" desicator stuff (course it`s all hard to find and by the time you do it`s dry) A fan would work, maybe a hairdryer if you do it yourself. You could also try blotting most of it away with a microfiber (had to get that one in too ;))

dpk204
08-16-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a BMW which is notorious for producing a lot of brake dust. I used Wheel Wax and it was a pain to apply and I didn`t notice anything. Michelin used to make this spray on stuff that supposedly "created a barrier" ...that didn`t work. I used regular wax on the wheels and that didn`t work either. Can you really put something on a wheel to help control brake dust? Is it the BMW or is it like this on all cars? It would be nice to put something on my wheels and then just hose them down for maintenance instead of busting out the wheel cleaner.

Thanks.

imported_Luster
08-16-2010, 08:04 PM
I started a thread a while back about ArmorAll Wheel Protectant. At first... I got sucked into the hype of a 15 page thread over at Corvette forum about how fantastic the stuff is and that the brake dust would just REFUSE to stick to your wheels.

I tried it. I must admit that there was LESS brake dust sticking to the wheels..... BUT..... It`s not the answer.

As a detailer, I hated the way it made the wheels look. Not shiny, white-ish patches, runs, fogged looking areas, patchy.

I did better with Blackfire Wet Diamond. Then it was easily wiped off with a dry microfiber. But still, the only answer is to change to a low-dusting pad, IMO.

dpk204
08-16-2010, 08:08 PM
"But still, the only answer is to change to a low-dusting pad, IMO. "

I agree, I personally think all the advertised stuff is a waste of money. For me, I would think a "wheel protectant" is effective if you can just hose the wheels down and have it look brake-dust free. If you have to break out the brushes or sponges, it`s not worth it.

imported_Luster
08-16-2010, 08:36 PM
"But still, the only answer is to change to a low-dusting pad, IMO. "

I agree, I personally think all the advertised stuff is a waste of money. For me, I would think a "wheel protectant" is effective if you can just hose the wheels down and have it look brake-dust free. If you have to break out the brushes or sponges, it`s not worth it.

Another problem with the AA Wheel Protectant is that it rinses off with water! So then you`re back to square one again.

softoa
08-16-2010, 09:16 PM
What do the initials IMO stand for? low dusting pad with IMO? softoa

Leadfootluke
08-16-2010, 09:25 PM
What do the initials IMO stand for? low dusting pad with IMO? softoa

IMO: In My Opinion
IMHO: In My Honest/Humble Opinion

softoa
08-16-2010, 09:29 PM
:doh: Oh, thank you---guess I`m not the greatest at abbreviations. I`m not used to them, and appreciate someone taking a moment to let me know. softoa..

imported_Luster
08-16-2010, 09:38 PM
:doh: Oh, thank you---guess I`m not the greatest at abbreviations. I`m not used to them, and appreciate someone taking a moment to let me know. softoa..

Hey Opal... I thought I was the only one! :rofl::wink:

softoa
08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Funny Luster, I`m laughing--!! Perhaps there are many people who know certain ones vs. others.. I found on this site a list of abbreviations from the moderator which is helpful---but IMO wasn`t there---ha.!! As it`s not a product.. great abbreviations list herein that`s for sure.. helpful.. softoa.

Legacy99
08-16-2010, 09:49 PM
I started a thread a while back about ArmorAll Wheel Protectant. At first... I got sucked into the hype of a 15 page thread over at Corvette forum about how fantastic the stuff is and that the brake dust would just REFUSE to stick to your wheels.

I tried it. I must admit that there was LESS brake dust sticking to the wheels..... BUT..... It`s not the answer.

As a detailer, I hated the way it made the wheels look. Not shiny, white-ish patches, runs, fogged looking areas, patchy.

I did better with Blackfire Wet Diamond. Then it was easily wiped off with a dry microfiber. But still, the only answer is to change to a low-dusting pad, IMO.Bill, been using Blackfire Metal Sealant. Was told that it could take the heat from wheel better than BFWD. Seems to be working well. Just wash with soap and water.

imported_Flash Gordon
08-16-2010, 10:09 PM
I
M
O

IMO can really help from a thread get derailed. Of course, this is just my opinion IMO @-)