PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Backing Plate question

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Dude
12-18-2001, 10:56 AM
I had a meeting in Irvine yesterday, and when it was finished I stopped by the Detailing Depot in Costa Mesa.

While I was in the store, a Meguiar`s sales representative pulled up and parked in the space right next to me. The Meguiar`s truck was a black Ford Expedition with "Meguiar`s" decals all over it.

Interestingly, the Meguiar`s truck looked great...but mine looked better! :)

Seriously, though, the Meguiar`s truck was extremely well-detailed, but it was nothing exceptional. I thought that a truck from a detailing products company might emit an otherworldly glow or something, but it didn`t. Most of our vehicles look just as good.

I was glad to see that most Autopians are achieving results just as good as those achieved by the professonals.

imported_BretFraz
12-18-2001, 04:07 PM
I was at Detailing Depot last weekend buying stuff. Owner is a real nice guy. Bought a bunch of stuff for my PC.

I`ll bet that Meguiars truck has mega miles on it. It`s pretty tough to keep a vehicle looking "otherwordly" when it being driven 3000 mile a month. I`ll bet ya $10 they don`t wash their own vehicles; prolly got mobile detailers or customers taking care of those things. Don`t forget the reps job is to sell product, not to wash trucks. They can hire someone to do that.

DETAILKING
12-18-2001, 06:35 PM
I believe any car can look amazing with the proper care.....

My 1996 Z-28 was bought new in 1996 and was an outdoor, non garaged daily commuter. I drove 150 miles a day round trip for work and put about 35-40K miles a year on it. These were hard NJ turnpike miles. It did have it`s share of stone chips in the hood, but from 10 feet away it looked amazing..........

imported_Homer
12-18-2001, 08:31 PM
Best thing about Detailing Depot is that they offer free detailing seminars on location by Meguiar`s people. It`s interesting stuff, the courses vary and are free! They last about 2.5 hours each. Next time you`re at Detailing Depot, ask them about the course schedule.

BTW, I`m located about 2 mins from Detailing Depot...next time you guys head there, drop me a line!

rstype
12-18-2001, 09:35 PM
Detailing Depot? I`ve seen it a few times, but never thought about stopping. Sounds interesting! :up

Heres the site btw, www.detailingdepot.com

muttgrunt
12-18-2001, 11:21 PM
They also have a maroon van I seen around town. Nothing special. Looks like maybe they take it to a car wash every other day. I don`t think it is their "show vehicle". I`m sure if there is a promo somewhere they would pack the heavy artillary. probably just their running around cehicles.

TBone

RustyBumper
08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Can I use a 5 inch backing plate with 6.5 inch pads? Is the plate too small to be affective?

Old Pirate
08-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Can I use a 5 inch backing plate with 6.5 inch pads? Is the plate too small to be affective?

Yes, it will a little too small for use and you won`t get the most use of the pad.

Legacy99
08-16-2010, 02:22 PM
You need a 6" bp.

Todd@RUPES
08-17-2010, 06:35 AM

Because of the action of a rotary it is will work okay. The outer edges of the pad attached to a rotary are going to move at a fairly quick pace in a curved line, so the action is transfered to the outer edge. You will loose some cutting power, but the net effect wouldn`t be as bad as using too small of a backing plate on a DA (a five inch plate with six.five inch pads for example).

A DA is constantly changing directions, so it needs the firm attachment to fully transfer it`s motion.

RustyBumper
08-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the help, everyone. I`m glad to hear that I`ll be able to use the one I have right now. Just out of curiosity, which backing plates do you like and should I get a 6" plate? I was going to get a Lake Country plate, but read that they started failing on people while they were polishing. That would be no bueno. :scared:

Harleyguy
08-17-2010, 02:13 PM
I like the Meguiars W66 backing plate .Angelo turned me onto that one .

Todd@RUPES
08-18-2010, 08:14 AM

+1 with Adam and Angelo. The first time I used it, I was hooked. I heart the W66, plus it makes polishing so much easier.

PAR Detailing
08-19-2010, 08:07 AM

+1 with Adam and Angelo. The first time I used it, I was hooked. I heart the W66, plus it makes polishing so much easier.

I agree with them. The w66 is a great bp for your rotary to acomodate 6.5 pads. Asphault pointed me in that direction and it was one of the best purchases I made

switerajaya
09-24-2010, 02:06 AM
I agree with them. The w66 is a great bp for your rotary to acomodate 6.5 pads. Asphault pointed me in that direction and it was one of the best purchases I made

I`m currently using W68. But curious about W66. Curious how those 2 BP compares each other. Anybody have experience with both BP, please chime in.
Thanks...