PDA

View Full Version : Here`s the REAL answer to the brake dust problem.....

Pages : [1] 2

imported_nihoole
12-18-2001, 08:48 AM
The only thing that I can really buy locally besides EO tire swipes and junky rags for dirty work was EO 20/20.I say was because K-mart did carry 20/20 but not anymore so now it looks like everythings going to be mail order.This sucks because shipping & handleing and the price on most sites for 20/20 and other stuff is like 1-2 dollars more than K mart.We have Autozone,K-mart,Wal-mart,advanced auto,discount auto,Napa and a couple of others they all carry the same junk!!!!:mad: Its so nice to have family to gripe toooooooooooooooo;)

mx5
12-18-2001, 09:00 AM
Just move to Tampa, Florida. You will be near CMA and can buy it right there. :)

imported_memnuts
12-18-2001, 09:18 AM
Unfortunately this is the price we must pay for the knowledge we have about car detailing and the quality of the products that must be used to achieve excellence.

Sometimes ignorance is blessed. ;)

imported_Page
12-18-2001, 12:41 PM
Blkz28...

Glad to have another member from Central VA aboard. Man..Danville. I spent a few years attending Averett College. I remember the little Mexican place on the corner that served up a MEAN hot salsa, and Short Sugar`s BBQ. Well, I suppose I remember some of my courses at Averett as well.

I still have a few friends who live in Martinsville. Anyway, it was interesting to see someone from Danville on the board.

SJ

imported_memnuts
12-18-2001, 12:51 PM
Yeah, good old Danville. I`m originally from New England (Boston) but have relatives here and met my wife here. I love the small town environment, the mild winters and the relatively car safe environment. I`m sure you had a good time here while going to Averett. If you come down this way let me know. We can compare some detailing notes.

Have a happy Holiday if I don`t see you on the board before than.

:cool:

BradE
12-18-2001, 01:12 PM
Todd,

Don`t feel bad, many of us share your pain. The stores where I live are also useless. I can`t even find simple yellow foam pads locally. It does get annoying sometimes having to order everything, especially when some sites charge insane amounts for shipping. I would say that 99% of local stores across the country will not meet a Autopians needs, people like us are doomed to have our product shipped in to us. It`s the price we must pay for perfectly detailed cars.

imported_nihoole
12-18-2001, 01:46 PM
I just spent my lunch hour goining to another K-mart across town and they had 2 bottles of EO 20/20 so I bought them both.blkZ28 was right also the price we pay for trying to keep perfect cars:rolleyes: Thanks for the support:)

imported_doug
12-18-2001, 02:17 PM
In my best Obi-wan Knobi voice:

"Use the web, Luke......"

I do more and more shopping, usually at 11PM or later, from the comfort of my own desk......

Don2000g
12-19-2001, 05:34 PM
You can most certainly add me to the group of individuals who are in Showroom`s shoes. No foam pads to be found anywhere. No where! What! How can an area of nearly 1 million people not have any stores that sell foam pads. Sure, I live close to Mexico, but come on. I`m sure even Mexicans like to detail their mules, I mean cars, every now and then. Laters

imported_Luster
08-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Three words. Hawk Ceramic Pads!

I was cleaning my wheels after EVERY time I drove the car. Those OEM "track" pads are the worst... (best for track, obviously, but horrible for street use!) As a detailer, I absolutely hated them!!!!:mad:

Here`s the thread I started over at Corvette Forum. Hundreds of Corvette Grand Sport owners over there with the same problem.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2660384-10-grand-sport-zero-brake-dust.html#post1575023206:wink:

imported_detailchick
08-16-2010, 12:07 AM
Are they squeeky or noisy?

imported_Luster
08-16-2010, 07:55 AM
Are they squeeky or noisy?

Quiet as a mouse. I`ve heard they can be hard on rotors, but right on the box it says "rotor-friendly". I`m not too worried. I only put about 5,000 miles a year on this car.:cornut:

imported_glfahlc
08-16-2010, 10:44 AM
i was gonna put ceramic pads on the wifes bimmer and my mechanic said they burn the rotors.. rather change pads than rotors, much less costly.

Husker Z
08-16-2010, 11:04 AM
i was gonna put ceramic pads on the wifes bimmer and my mechanic said they burn the rotors.. rather change pads than rotors, much less costly.

I put Red Stuff Ceramics on my R for about 5 months or so, less than 10,000 miles and when they went on I had no lip on my rotors and now their is a very noticeable lip, which kind of sucks.

I went back to a soft compound pad, Textars. I don`t belive these are as dusty at the OEMs, but quite a bit worse than the ceramics.

imported_Luster
08-16-2010, 02:45 PM
I`ve had ceramics on several cars with no such effects on the rotors. But I do mostly highway driving, so for me, it`s kind of a non-issue.