PDA

View Full Version : Doen`t Wesley`s Clean better than all other tire cleaners?

Scottwax
12-17-2001, 10:49 PM
Damn, I`ve got to do something. This looks like it is going to be another hideously and unusually wet winter. All the rain this weekend cost me about $400, and since I have to push those appointment back to next weekend, I can pretty much kiss that money goodbye, since I now cannot pick up more cars for this weekend.

Even worse, the weathermen totally blew the forecast-on Friday morning, they were only forecasting a quick line of storms to move through Saturday night. Right. By 9:30 am Saturday, it was already raining and it didn`t stop until after midnight on Sunday. http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/rant.gif

Enough of that!

I`ve decided to learn to do paintless dent repair, kind of as a side to my detailing business and more importantly to keep money coming in on rainy days. I`ve checked out a few companies, and one is offer the tools, training videos (plus hands on training if I can work it in-kind of like a standing offer), and other related supplies. The training, tools as supplies run $1500, and I have already talked with a friend who owns a body shop-I can practice on cars that are having fenders, doors, etc replaced-I can work on any dings present on the panels, plus I can probably go to any pick-a-part wrecking yard and practice there, too.

Once I feel I am proficient, then I will start with my regular`s cars first-probably not do a whole lot of advertising, this is more as a supplement than anything else, but taking out a few dents on a rainy day for $150-200 beats sitting on my ass making nothing, right?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

ww50th
12-18-2001, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah.......I have thought of this! I looked up a couple places on the internet and found a few good leads. I even thought of spending the $$ and maybe going with a franchise. From what I understand you can make a decent living working with dealerships!

I have also thought of combining it with detailing....

"You know, for another $70 I can get rid of that door ding for ya!"

I think I would spend the cash and go to the "schools", technique is very important....all based on about a week of internet research and we all know what that`s worth!

Lemonxxs
01-03-2002, 11:20 PM
I think it is a great idea SCOTT. Really it shows your customers you realy care. PLus it can only improve their vehicles look knowing your are deatiling it as well.

socarecon
01-04-2002, 12:59 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Scottwax [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Damn, I`ve got to do something. This looks like it is going to be another hideously and unusually wet winter. All the rain this weekend cost me about $400, and since I have to push those appointment back to next weekend, I can pretty much kiss that money goodbye, since I now cannot pick up more cars for this weekend.

Even worse, the weathermen totally blew the forecast-on Friday morning, they were only forecasting a quick line of storms to move through Saturday night. Right. By 9:30 am Saturday, it was already raining and it didn`t stop until after midnight on Sunday. http://forums.off-topic.net/images/smilies/rant.gif

Enough of that!

I`ve decided to learn to do paintless dent repair, kind of as a side to my detailing business and more importantly to keep money coming in on rainy days. I`ve checked out a few companies, and one is offer the tools, training videos (plus hands on training if I can work it in-kind of like a standing offer), and other related supplies. The training, tools as supplies run $1500, and I have already talked with a friend who owns a body shop-I can practice on cars that are having fenders, doors, etc replaced-I can work on any dings present on the panels, plus I can probably go to any pick-a-part wrecking yard and practice there, too.

Once I feel I am proficient, then I will start with my regular`s cars first-probably not do a whole lot of advertising, this is more as a supplement than anything else, but taking out a few dents on a rainy day for $150-200 beats sitting on my ass making nothing, right?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? [/b]</blockquote><blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Scott, the art of pdr is a very long and time consuming business - meaning, you`ll be practicing in all your spare time ! 8 hours sat and sun doining nothing but dents on practice panels until you can`t see straight and even more before your first and last oppointment of the day. Depending on your skill level and who teaches you, it will take "anyone" months or even years to master the pdr craft. I myself, am still learning many trcicks of the trade watching the real pros doing "their magic" although I`m a four year veteran of the pdr biz! I do have the advantage of this being at the auto deal;ers day in and out with my recon biz. My suggestion, you might check dentnetwork.com you`ll find more input and info and practice your rear end off. As you yourself migtht say " do you really want to do pdr" best of luck!</blockquote>

Scottwax
01-09-2002, 12:03 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I think it is a great idea SCOTT. Really it shows your customers you realy care. PLus it can only improve their vehicles look knowing your are deatiling it as well. [/b]</blockquote>
I understand it takes time, but if I get going pretty soon, by the winter, I hope to be profecient enough to at least take out the more simple dings.

Besides, once you get really good at removing the dings, it doesn`t take very long-an additional 30 minutes added to a detail can mean another $75 or so. Just fixing 3 dings a week can mean another $10,000 a year! The hard part is getting good at it!

dpk204
08-15-2010, 02:50 PM
I know Wesley`s Bleach White (I forget how to spell it) is not good for blackwalls but am I the only one that thinks it removes more crud from the tires than any other advertised tire cleaner?

I use Griot`s rubber cleaner and I can`t get it to lather up as well as the Wesley`s. I can`t even get the Eimann Fabrik tire cleaner to lather up. Who makes the best tire cleaner anyway?

imported_trhland
08-15-2010, 03:39 PM
amazing roll off is great for tires.but white wall lettering nothing beats bleachwite i use both.

Old Pirate
08-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Eimann Fabrik tire cleaner wasn`t made to lather up, but to clean the tires which I haven`t had a problem with. But most tire cleaners have change to very low lathering, and one cleaner that works very well and leaves behind a nice low shine is Amazing Roll.

bmw5541
08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Any good APC will work nicely. Unlike ARO, you will have to dress the tires when they are dry.

imported_Luster
08-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I used Wesley`s for years. But that`s back in the day when it was the only thing available to clean tires. It`s a good tire cleaner, but now there are so many good products to choose from..... as stated above, any good APC will do a great job on tires!:)

Junebug
08-16-2010, 06:42 AM
A good APC is fine as long as the tire ain`t too bad, but nothing beats Wesley`s when you have a tire that has months (years?) worth of crud. Best results - spray on a dry tire, let sit 30-45 secounds, scrub with brush and soapy water, rinse, spray APC, scrub, rinse and it helps greatly to have a power washer ( I use a Northstar electric ).