PDA

View Full Version : A good radar speed trap story...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lone Wolf
12-16-2001, 08:53 PM
Can someone explain the advantage of using a sealant like Meguires #20 instead of Carnuba?? From what Ive read it seems the biggest plus is that it will last a lot longer?? If this is true can I use Meguires #9 followed by #20 with Blitz or #26 as a topper?? Or would you just use #20??

Never used anything but carnuba and was thinking of experimenting..

Thanks

DETAILKING
12-16-2001, 09:14 PM
It gives a very factual summary on the weaknesses of carnuba waxes, most of which lies in limited durability, dust attraction, loss in gloss after every wash due to depletion of the oils, and failure to stand up to hot temperatures...ie a black car on a hot day............

I would go with the polymer, unless you like to wax every few weeks, or have a garage queen that rarely gets driven..........

BradE
12-16-2001, 09:23 PM
Polymers offer superior protection to caranuba, and last much much longer.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2001, 09:26 PM
So once you clean the paint and use a swirl remover, then you would apply your polymer of choice. After this do you top it with a wax or do you just keep applying multiple coats of the polymer??

LW

BradE
12-16-2001, 09:31 PM
You can just keep layering, you don`t have to put a caranuba on top but it`s an option if you want to. If you do apply a wax, do not put it on until you are 100% happy with the way the polymer looks. Also, once the wax is applied you must strip it off before you can apply anymore layers of the polymer.

Remember 90% of a great shine is the prep work.

DETAILKING
12-16-2001, 09:36 PM
realize that there are not many polymer formulations out there that could truely layer........

Lone Wolf
12-16-2001, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the help..I think I get the idea now..

How long does the sealant last and how often should you re-apply it?? If you dont like it how hard is it to remove??

LW

dengelson
12-16-2001, 10:06 PM
I don`t really buy into the "superior protection" arguement of polymer sealants. I do believe that they last longer in between coats. However this is just mho but to me bugs and sap and stuff stick more readily to a polymer sealed car than a car with a couple of recent coats of a good carnauba wax. I don`t know why but my guess is that the wax leaves behind a smoother surface than a polymer sealant.

That is just subjective and I`m sure some of our members would not agree. One thing I think that you have to beware of, and this goes especially for polymer sealants, the manufacturers like to throw out some big numbers about how long a product will last. Don`t take anybody`s word for this. If you are losing the slick, smooth surface from your car and there is noticably more friction when you are drying, then it is time to to either rewax or reseal and quite possibly at this point you will need to reclean the paint.

Personally whether I`m using a sealant or a wax I`m not interested in pushing the envelope on endurance. To me that`s like trying to push the mileage between oil changes.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2001, 10:10 PM
Short Cut..I really dont mind waxing every few weeks..it really doesnt take me that long and I enjoy doing it so most likely I will stick with the carnuba`s (Blitz) I just thought maybe I could get a better shine with a polymer..

LW

imported_BretFraz
12-16-2001, 10:24 PM
As an FYI, this weekend I detailed my car with Blackfire and Pinnacle Souveran carnauba. I applied a coat of BF polish, 1-4 coats of BF protectant (i`m playing with layers and looks) and 2 coats of Souveran as a topper.

The BF looked great after two coats but it didn`t offer the slickness I wanted, especially to keep off bugs and other projectiles. The wax topper maintained the gloss, even improved it a bit, but also gave me the smooth slick finish I want.

So sometimes there is a reason to add a wax topper. I`m just starting to play with BF. I`ve been using Finish First and it gave me both the gloss and the super-slick feeling I like. But it doesn`t seem to last like a polymer should. My experiences with polymers is similar to the Shortster`s.

So far this combo has produced the best finish I`ve ever had on this car. But I`ve used both polymers and carnaubas on other cars and they all looked better to me with the carnauba. Polymers have come along way in the last 10 years and have a great future. Don`t know how much better carnaubas can get - we may be experiencing the Law of Diminishing Returns with carnauba products.

dengelson
12-16-2001, 10:24 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Lone Wolf [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Short Cut..I really dont mind waxing every few weeks..it really doesnt take me that long and I enjoy doing it so most likely I will stick with the carnuba`s (Blitz) I just thought maybe I could get a better shine with a polymer..
[/b]</blockquote>
Better shine is hard to define. Hey I`m a poet and don`t even know it. What you get from a polymer sealant is a different shine. Better can depend on lots of factors including the color the lighting and certainly the eye of the beholder. That`s why it`s fun to experiment with different products.

Personally I like to use a PS on my daily driver truck (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=4727`) and wax on my weekend fun car (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=4332`) . Because just like you mentioned with the car I like waxing it every two to three weeks and I love the look of layered paste wax on black.

What`s right is what`s right for you. Keep an open mind and have fun experimenting with different products and combinations from time to time. :up

Lone Wolf
12-16-2001, 10:32 PM
I meant a deeper shine..Ive had great luck with Blitz and my fire red paint looks wet and whats neat is that it actually looks better at night??

Go figure!! I always like to tinker with things..this is not always a good thing :p

LW

PS..thanks for all the good advice Bret!!

DETAILKING
12-16-2001, 11:08 PM
Check out the April 2000 issue of Motor Trend in an article named "Paint Care Myths

and Reality"

I am direct quoting here:

Motor Trend question "A wax made of 100 percent carnauba is superior to those using

lessor amounts?"

Answer by Mike Pennington, director of training for Meguiars "Carnauba wax has been a favorite among car enthusiasts

for years, but don`t believe that any wax is made of 100

percent carnauba. As the hardest natural wax known, carnauba is much too hard to apply

directly to automotive paint. It comes in bricks that must be melted and added to a

company`s formulation. If a paint protectant advertises "pure carnauba," it means the part

of the formulation that is carnauba is pure, not that it`s 100 percent carnauba. According

to Pennington, todays synthetic polymer technology actually provides better protection than carnauba"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think most of us here will agree that a quality polymer will retain gloss longer, bead water longer, and stay slicker longer than a typical carnuba.

imported_memnuts
12-17-2001, 12:03 PM
I have been a carnuba user for over 30 years but after trying a polymer sealant (Zaino) I will never go back. My car is black and I always thought that the surface looked great ( clayed , swirl removal periodically and QD`d almost daily). The poly surface is now slicker by leaps and bounds, the surface does not attract dust as bad and the glossiness and lack of smeariness ( evenness ) of finished surface is far superior to carnuba. Durability is not a factor but the appearance of the finish is. I can not emphasis the improvement of polymer ( can only speak for Zaino ) over carnuba results on my garage queen. The depth or buttery appearance is also improved because of the improved optics. The car , especially, at night appears as if it has been dipped in liquid glass. In direct sunlight the shine is incredible if not blinding. :cool:.

I was a hard sale on changing to polymers but I curse myself now for waiting so long. This is only my experience so far. I still use carnuba products on my Lexus but that will change sometime this winter on a long snowy weekend ( if it ever snow here ). With this car I will be able to evaluate the durability because it is exposed (driven) in bad weather.

imported_Intermezzo
12-17-2001, 12:43 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Short Cut [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Personally whether I`m using a sealant or a wax I`m not interested in pushing the envelope on endurance. To me that`s like trying to push the mileage between oil changes. [/b]</blockquote>
ShortCut, thanks for the fresh perspective. I agree that traditional waxes still (and always will) play a large part in auto detailing. However I am still a fan of synthetic polymers. Pushing the envelope on endurance is a silly strategy, I agree. "It`s been 6 months and my Klasse/Zaino is gone so now I have to reapply?" No way, it`s been slowly dimishing since day one and for the last couple of months the car hasn`t been getting anywhere near the same protection it did in the first couple of months. I guess the same holds true for waxes, except the level of protection you get diminishes much quicker. I rely on SP`s as a base coat so that my car will suffer the least amount of diminishment in protection between detailing intervals, which i try to make weekly, but sometimes get stretched to a few months when busy or lazy.