PDA

View Full Version : Hello from DFW, TX

Pages : [1] 2

Josiah
12-15-2001, 06:19 PM
Has anyone used the 3M metal/trim polish and cleaner? I saw it while in carquest yesterday. My van has a lot of metal and aluminum trim on it that I want to really clean up and get shiny.

I am also going to get some for my business, so all opinions are welcome!

Anyone tried anything?

Josiah

imported_Eric
12-15-2001, 07:01 PM
is very good IMHO. I`v tried a number of them including "Blue Magic". Just make sure whatever you are doing doesn`t have a clear coar!!!

imported_Homer
12-15-2001, 08:20 PM
Never Dull wadding polish is very good too. I`ve used Meguiars, Mothers, Eagle One...those pastes sometimes get caked into tight areas when you aren`t careful. The NeverDull is very easy to use: just tear a piece off and then polish whatever you need. It leaves no mess, but does have a slight smell to it. Just buff it off with a soft towel and it`ll look great!

dengelson
12-15-2001, 08:44 PM
I like Mother`s Mag and Aluminum Polish. I`ve used it a lot on my motorcycles. Just be sure that the aluminum has not been clear coated. If it has you don`t want to use an abrasive polish.

<em class=`bbc`>clic pic[/i]
http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/productpix/05101.jpg (`http://www.mothers.com/products/productcatalog/wheelprod.html`)

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-15-2001, 08:58 PM
mothers dose cake up a little if u go to heavy....like lots of things we all use a little goes a long way....the neverdull is great like Huy says ...like a very soft wet brillo....stinks alittle but that eveaporates quik...i use the never stuff for all the dirt crap...then go at it once again with M0thers for the awesome shine......like Short says be careful to check if clearcoated....if it is mothers also makes a cool polish for that too....the neverdull is pretty much good for it al...i used it on my chrome wheels....if its got clear on it ...get some Z/K on there...so in the future it just wipes clean...................and show some pics man................everybody forgets the before and afters.............especially the befores:D :)

BradE
12-15-2001, 08:58 PM
Wenol Metal Polish is also a good product. :up :up

If the metal is clearcoated you can use any abrasive like you would use on paint. (Ex. SMR, FI2)

12-15-2001, 09:05 PM
i had some tough spots that i couldnt get out....the SMR was amazing...and it came off so easy cause it was on metal.....beautiful....good suggestion SRL:up

Josiah
12-15-2001, 09:06 PM
Any sure fire ways to tell if metal is clear or non clearcoated?

Josaih

12-15-2001, 09:15 PM
i had some mothers polish already....so i just wiped a little in the tiniest of out of reach spots....because if it didnt turn black when i put the polish on...then i would know it was clearcoated...it should turn black is what im trying to say...if it doesnt turn black you cant use it....but there has to be an easier way besides my way or asking the dealer...but if you dont have it already i wouldnt want u to go buy some just to test it............

Josiah
12-15-2001, 09:18 PM
Oh that`s right, heh, forgot about the "black test." It has been one long weekend. :rolleyes:

Josiah

iforcev8
12-16-2001, 01:40 PM
I tried Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish and its the best I have used, I also have a full jar o NEVR DULL, I don`t use it because the wad it comes in is not rough enough for polishing my Weld Racing Rims. I also put corn starch on my towel for polishing it off, the corn starch acts like an absorbant to really get all the polish off the rims.

forrest@mothers
12-16-2001, 02:57 PM
The NevrDull type products are basically cotton wadding with mineral spirits on it. Cleans well, but does not truly polish the alloy.

In addition to our Mag & Aluminum Polish, we also make a surgical grade cotton gauze with our mag polish impregnated on it (called Polishin` Pad, part # 05109), and we introduced a new billet metal polish at the SEMA show last month (Billet Polish, part # 05106).

If you have truly flawless aluminum, a good alloy, or billet metal, Billet Polish is a great product. For most folks out there, though, it`s overkill.

As for the coated or not question, you can either do the black test (rub the polish on a small area and see if it turns black. If it does NOT, the metal is coated), or look at the metal under bright light - if you see a rainbow-like hue, that`s the plasticized clear coat on the alloy.

12-16-2001, 03:13 PM
rainbow test...i never heard of that before dood...thx again:up

RamSus
08-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Hello everybody,

As a new member here, just wanted to introduce myself. I have recognized several names from other forums, which is nice.
Great job guys. The forum looks good.

Regards,
RamSus

Old Pirate
08-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Welcome to Truth In Detailing RamSus, glad to see more great folks from Texas here! Enjoy the forum and it`s members too!...........