PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Random Orbital Sander/Polisher

Pages : [1] 2

miguelgf
12-14-2001, 11:10 PM
Looking for some opinions that anyone might have with regards to the above products being used as a topper for SG.

The way I`m reading it (having read reviews/comments from others on the site):

PPG = low durability, great shine, no residue on black trim, optimized for light colored cars.

P21s = low durability, great shine, no residue on black trim, easiest to remove and apply.

Blitz = higher durability, great shine, leaves residue on black trim, harder to remove and apply, cheaper.

Anyone have any experience with one of the three, specifically with regards to Klasse, and maybe even on a light car?

Mine`s white, with TONS of black trim all over - which is why I`m thinking of going with one of the first two, despite all the great things I hear about Blitz.

Keep in mind - I`ll be applying with the PC!

Thanks,

-J

muttgrunt
12-15-2001, 12:25 AM
Yo John,

I have a white Ford Bronco which is my garage queen. I use PPG and sometimes Blitz. I alternate between the two. Since my vehicle is only used on weekends and NEVER driven in the rain or other inclement weather, I cannot comment on the durability issue, although most or all carnaubas hold up for 4 - 6 weeks tops. However, I can offer an opinion on appearances. Both the Blitz and PPG both give a very clear and reflective shine but the PPG does give a lil extra sparkle over the Blitz. This extra sparkle lasts about 2 weeks. I`m not saying that after 2 weeks it ceases to shine or look great, just that the "extra" sparkle fads and then your at about a Blitz shine. I give a two thumbs up to both products but the PPG has a slight edge in the shine department. P21 I have never used so I cannot comment.

Also.... I really don`t think you need to use your PC to apply the wax topper. I mean, you can if you really want to but if your vehicle is prepped and all....either of the three products you mentioned will all go on like melted butter using a hand application. There is no benefit (in my opinion) to use the PC to apply the final wax topper.

TBone :)

imported_Intermezzo
12-15-2001, 02:34 AM
Just out of curiousity, how would one apply a paste wax using a PC....just scoop it out of the can with a foam pad and wipe it on the bonnet?

I`ve tried PPG and it really does look nice and shines bright, but it is extremely lacking in durability. Since I used it on a car that was driven daily, it didn`t last 2+ weeks for me as it did for Tbone. For me, I felt that after 1 week of driving and 1 car wash, so much of it was gone that I had to apply another coat. But at the same time, it is such an easy wax to apply and buff that doing it weekly really isn`t much of a problem. Takes about 20 minutes if you do it quickly.

tom p.
12-15-2001, 07:44 AM
I use all the products you mentioned. I would stick with the <strong class=`bbc`>BLITZ WAX[/b] unless you want to re-wax frequently. For a real carauba-based product, the Blitz is one of your best choices and the price is right!

The PPG is great on light colored cars but I would suggest that it be used on cars that are not driven frequently unless you want to wax your car once per month.

The P21S is also a fine product but lacking in durability for a daily-driver.

I can also give a strong endorsement to the following sequence:

<ul class=`bbc`> Klasse All in One

Klasse Sealant Glaze (as many layers as you have time)

Blitz Wax[/list]
...it works!

spartacus_33
12-15-2001, 08:26 AM
I have had very good luck with P21s as a topping. According to The Wax Test, it is among the longest lasting.

Lemonxxs
12-15-2001, 08:33 AM
What state is the wax test being done in?

offcenter
12-15-2001, 09:26 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

[i]
The PPG is great on light colored cars but I would suggest that it be used on cars that are not driven frequently unless you want to wax your car once per month.[/B]</blockquote>
I agree, however since the PPG is so easy to apply and remove, once a month isn`t that much of a chore. I normally use a quick detail spray after a good hand wash and PPG doesn`t take much more effort than a QD spray. BTW, since JohnN`s car is white and has lots of black trim, I would recommend PPG. I use it on my silver car and it looks awesome. The amount of time needed to remove all the little white residue that Blitz leaves will take more time to remove than using PPG monthly. I still see remnants of residue from when I used Blitz 6 months ago (around door handles and molding seams).:up

miguelgf
12-15-2001, 12:05 PM
Hey guys - great responses!

OK - a few extra tidbits:

1. Waxtest - dunno where exactly, but it was in a climate that has cold/winter weather (Week 6 reported snow and ice). I`m in a cold climate (NYC) - but this sucker`s garaged, and will probably not be driven daily for most of the year.

2. Durability - see, here`s where I might go with 2 waxes - one for the winter months, the other for the summer. Honestly - when I`m not getting frostbitten, I actually enjoy waxing the car once a month. I call it therapy.

3. Trim - this one`s a KILLER. I *HATE* getting residue on trim. Really hate it - and getting it off is almost impossible (well, getting it off completely, at least). This car is JAM PACKED with black trim, from top to bottom, almost like a big sign saying `Stick with Klasse - don`t wax me!`

Intermezzo - great question, I was wondering that myself. Dunno how others put on paste wax with a PC, but I`ve always had a spoon held upside down, dabbed a bit on it, and rubbed it on the outer perimeter of the bonnet. Of course, I could use suggestions for a better way if one exists!

Thanks again guys,

-J

JasonC8301
12-15-2001, 12:10 PM
I will go with the PPG, but I have no experience with the P21S. The Blitz will last longer than PPG and P21S hands down but the whole trim residue will make me avoid Blitz.

The PPG is very easy to apply and remove. A thin layer goes on like butter to a Klassed surface and it just WIPES off.

So PPG during the warmer months and stick with Klasse for the winter.

Jason

rstype
12-15-2001, 12:38 PM
I would go with the PPG for your "summer" Klasse topper. It produces a reflective and wet shine that shimmers with energy. Not too deep... but not too cold. It is also hands down the <strong class=`bbc`>easiest wax[/b] I`ve ever used. The Paste Glaz takes only about 8 minutes to apply if you hurry, or about 20 if you take your time and enjoy it.

Its truly the best wax for light colored cars!

Buds
12-15-2001, 11:40 PM
I started using P21S after I saw thewaxtest.com. I put it on my Audi (a daily driver) over a month and a half ago and it is still really slick and beading great. The shine is also amazing. I have been very impressed with it and highly recomend it.

imported_BretFraz
12-16-2001, 11:22 AM
I use masking tape on my trim to keep wax out of it. Use some of the low-stick tape from 3M so it won`t leave a residue behind. Also good to cover up things you don`t want damaged by a buffer, like antenna mounts or mirror bases.

Also, I believe the Wax Test is being done in Minnesota.

imported_RIC
12-16-2001, 01:00 PM
The wax test guys are in Arkansas.

imported_Intermezzo
12-17-2001, 02:03 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Kev [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I started using P21S after I saw thewaxtest.com. I put it on my Audi (a daily driver) over a month and a half ago and it is still really slick and beading great. The shine is also amazing. I have been very impressed with it and highly recomend it. [/b]</blockquote>
That`s terrific. You`re just using P21S and no base sealant protectant, right? If so, then that`s pretty good durability.

Buds
12-17-2001, 10:15 AM
Thats right no sealant, Just the P21S. I am real happy with it so far.