PDA

View Full Version : Considering a flex

Jngrbrdman
12-11-2001, 02:52 PM
There have been some posts about doing other things in combination with blackfire so I thought I`d add my favourite. I think it would look good and help add to that beading that we all like so much. Either of the Pinnacle waxes should do ok on top of Blackfire, yes?

EastsideAutoSpa
07-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Thinking about getting a flex 3401 any input from people that use them?

imported_Stokdgs
07-28-2010, 11:49 PM
I am sure you will hear much from others as well; here is my take on it -

Really nicely designed, ergonomic, and the on-off switch and speed control are right by the hand you use to hold the body of the machine.

It seems louder than my PC 7424 or my Meguiars G110V2, but then it does have forced rotation and a bigger motor/

It does awesome correction work but I personally like to use my Rotary to correct, and then come in behind it with the Flex 3401VRG to finish with something like Meg205, etc., and or jewel with something like Menz PO85RD.
I didnt care for the handle arrangement on the top of the buffer, so I got a side handle for the Flex from another site that sells them and they`re pretty inexpensive, so it was a no-brainer. I learned with the side handle way back when, and I will always like it on big machines that have forced rotation.
Little machines like the PC or the Meguiars G110V2, I dont have any handle at all on them..

It tends to run hot on the backing plate if used a long time, but it supposedly has sensors to turn it off if it overheats, and it has not turned itself for me yet.

Only drawback so far - it only accepts the 6.5" L/C pads,----------------

BUT with Gary`s experimental modification posted today (GEWB), it appears that you can cut down the foam and backing plate hook and loop material and attach a 5.5" pad on there, and according to Gary, it works and runs much smoother and easier with the smaller pad!

I really like the Flex because of the forced rotation feature and its been a good machine for my needs and if the modification that GEWB did to his backing plate holds up, then you could now have an even sweeter machine that would accept the 5.5" and 6.5" pads if you bought another backing plate, and modified one of them like Gary did.

I am currently looking at the lighter of the 2 rotaries that Flex sells - the 3403VRG to have as back up for my Makita 9227C... :)

Good luck with your search -
Dan F

Legacy99
07-29-2010, 02:54 AM
I am sure you will hear much from others as well; here is my take on it -

Really nicely designed, ergonomic, and the on-off switch and speed control are right by the hand you use to hold the body of the machine.

It seems louder than my PC 7424 or my Meguiars G110V2, but then it does have forced rotation and a bigger motor/

It does awesome correction work but I personally like to use my Rotary to correct, and then come in behind it with the Flex 3401VRG to finish with something like Meg205, etc., and or jewel with something like Menz PO85RD.
I didnt care for the handle arrangement on the top of the buffer, so I got a side handle for the Flex from another site that sells them and they`re pretty inexpensive, so it was a no-brainer. I learned with the side handle way back when, and I will always like it on big machines that have forced rotation.
Little machines like the PC or the Meguiars G110V2, I dont have any handle at all on them..

It tends to run hot on the backing plate if used a long time, but it supposedly has sensors to turn it off if it overheats, and it has not turned itself for me yet.

Only drawback so far - it only accepts the 6.5" L/C pads,----------------

BUT with Gary`s experimental modification posted today (GEWB), it appears that you can cut down the foam and backing plate hook and loop material and attach a 5.5" pad on there, and according to Gary, it works and runs much smoother and easier with the smaller pad!

I really like the Flex because of the forced rotation feature and its been a good machine for my needs and if the modification that GEWB did to his backing plate holds up, then you could now have an even sweeter machine that would accept the 5.5" and 6.5" pads if you bought another backing plate, and modified one of them like Gary did.

I am currently looking at the lighter of the 2 rotaries that Flex sells - the 3403VRG to have as back up for my Makita 9227C... :)

Good luck with your search -
Dan FI agree with everything you said Dan. Except that I`m not a fan of the 3401. I don`t say that to cause any trouble as it is a fine machine. I just don`t personally like the feel of the machine. Give me a Makita and a pc/ggro and I`m good to go. BTW I have a 3403 and you will need ear plugs when running @ 1800 or more. Has a high pitch. For side panels it`s lighter and easier to control. Using a 4" pads for tighter areas is also easy to handle.

imported_broker99
07-29-2010, 06:55 AM
I agree with Dan as well. I purchased a slightly used Flex about a year ago for less than half the price of a new one. It is a very nice machine but if I was looking at new I would save the money and buy a new PC or the new
g110.

Street Dreams
07-29-2010, 07:42 PM
GG10v2 or Griots DA, both easier machines to operate, smoother and have changeable backing plates. With the new foams out (specifically the LC hydro tang and cyan pads) + the use of M105 you can cut out serious defects. No need for the Flex, im not biased, I just sold mine a few months back for a G110v2 ... and I already own 3 rotaries.

muttgrunt
07-29-2010, 09:27 PM
GG10v2 or Griots DA, both easier machines to operate, smoother and have changeable backing plates. With the new foams out (specifically the LC hydro tang and cyan pads) + the use of M105 you can cut out serious defects. No need for the Flex, im not biased, I just sold mine a few months back for a G110v2 ... and I already own 3 rotaries.

Great review. We own one, and a flex rotary, and a couple of makita rotaries, and a PC and a Griots. I would second David`s words of wisdom on this. Maybe if M105 wasn`t such a killer product it`d really be the best of both worlds. It seems we use the Flex DA less and less and less ourselves...

Rather than a Flex DA, grab a griot`s DA and a bunch of Surbuf pads / extra pads / M105. I really think it`d be a better use of money.