PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Brake Dust vs. ArmorAll Wheel Protectant

Pages : [1] 2 3

Josiah
12-07-2001, 07:49 PM
So what chemicals do you use in your biz?

I am planning on using Meguiar`s for the most part, but for someone who wants a great shine, best protection, and is willing to pay for it, I will use Klasse, Zaino (which I have yet to get good with), and Blackfire eventually.

I think it is important to judge what the customer is willing to pay, and what they want by asking them key questions. I think that the Cadillac owner will want protection and his car to look good, while the guy that has two new Porches and a new Firebird (or whatever) just might want his cars to look fantastic, and be able to afford it.

Thoughts?

Josiah

Josiah
12-07-2001, 07:50 PM
BTW, BlackFire might be a GREAT product to use, since it goes on so quick.

How does the depth compare to Souvaren is the question.

Josiah

Blue_Ridge_Products
12-07-2001, 10:10 PM
I use some products from Production Car Care (Red Baron, their Polymer and Prime) some from Valueguard ( OEM One Step and Pre Conditioner and ABC) and one from Megquiers ( Dual Action Machine Polish). Any product line you wish to get involved with will have a sales rep in your Area most of them are very knowledgeable and can give you samples to try. They also sell you all their products at wholesale prices by the gal. or 5 gal drum. The criteria I select my products on are based primarily on their performance secondly on the price. My business is based on my reputation so the products I use have to leave the customer totally pleased. I started with 3 customers and thru word of mouth I now have 40 repeating and I am not excepting any other clients as it is a weekend cash business.

imported_Luster
07-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Corvette Forum has quite a thread going over there about this product. (It`s actually a 13-page thread! See link below...)

The newer model C6/Z06 and C6/Grand Sports have the "Big Brakes", 14" fronts, cross-drilled and 6 piston calipers. The brake pads are designed to be for track/competion. Therefore the pads are pretty soft so they will really grip those big rotors.

The result? TONS of brake dust!!!! More than you can imagine!

There`s the way the wheel should look when clean:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/g-sport/IMG_5188.jpg

Here`s a picture of a wheel (just like mine actually) after the driver drove for a few hours on dry hiways. Hardly any braking involved.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/g-sport/brake_dust.jpg

I was having the same problem with SEVERE brake dust. After a 50 mile drive, my wheels were BROWN!

I gave Armor All Wheel Protectant a shot. Well....... after driving another 150 miles, they still look clean!

They are so slick that the brake dust just won`t stick. What little does stick, can be easily wiped off with a swiffer duster.

Worth a try for HEAVY brake dust.

See my revised opinion of this product in Post #35.

bmw5541
07-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Very interesting Bill. I never thought that I would even think about using this, as I have tried the Eagle 1 product and absolutely hated it. I figured this would be the same. Maybe, I will give it a try.

imported_Indy YZF
07-15-2010, 09:04 AM
I`ve seen nothing but good reviews for this, I`ll pick some up tonight for my motorcycle wheels, they get covered in dust, and see how it works.

Husker Z
07-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Glad you posted this Bill. I`m getting ready to scrap these POS Red Stuff pads and go back to my OEM Volvo Brembo Brakes. The OEMs are awesome, but I replaced them due to the dust. However, now I sound like a city bus, so I`d rather deal with the dust.

I`ve coated my R`s wheels and my wifes XC90 Sport`s 19" Wheels with wheel wax and also gave them the fire over ice treatment with not much success. The dust comes off very easily, which is nice, but it sure doesn`t help to repel any dust whatsoever.

That picture you posted is unreal!

imported_detailchick
07-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks ,I may try this also.

Does anyone know how long this products been around?

Husker Z
07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I just picked up a couple of cans, we`ll see how it goes. I plan on changing brakes next week sometime, so I`ll clean the rims thoroughly at that point and give this stuff a try. Got a free jug of car wash with the purchase of two cans too! :clap:

imported_Luster
07-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Of course, the best answer for brake dust is to change the brake pads to ceramics, but this, at least, keeps most of the dust off the wheels.

I just returned from a 40 mile drive... no dust.

:biggrin:

bmw5541
07-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Of course, the best answer for brake dust is to change the brake pads to ceramics, but this, at least, keeps most of the dust off the wheels.

If you give it the thumbs up:thumbup:, that`s good enough for me. I will give it a try.

Husker Z
07-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Yeah, I did that switch and am not pleased at all. The bite is not near what the OEM is, especially when they get hot and I seriously sound like a Defenbaugh Truck when I come to a stop, it`s horrible. I don`t know if my OEM rotors/calipers just don`t like these pads or what, but they have squealed from day 1. I`ll gladly deal with the dust instead of making dogs howl in the neighborhood when I come to a stop.

Can`t wait to try this AA stuff though, seems cool.

imported_Luster
07-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I did that switch and am not pleased at all. The bite is not near what the OEM is, especially when they get hot and I seriously sound like a Defenbaugh Truck when I come to a stop, it`s horrible. I don`t know if my OEM rotors/calipers just don`t like these pads or what, but they have squealed from day 1. I`ll gladly deal with the dust instead of making dogs howl in the neighborhood when I come to a stop.

Can`t wait to try this AA stuff though, seems cool.

The instructions say to let it dry for an hour.....

I`ve found that applying it at night and then letting it dry overnight works better.

imported_Indy YZF
07-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Husker,

I thought the EBC reds were more of a track pad, needed lots of heat? I had the greens though (more street side), they were just as squeaky, had to go back to OEM, with slotted discs the OEM worked almost as good, no squeaks (this was on an Acura TL Type-S).

Husker Z
07-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Husker,

I thought the EBC reds were more of a track pad, needed lots of heat? I had the greens though (more street side), they were just as squeaky, had to go back to OEM, with slotted discs the OEM worked almost as good, no squeaks (this was on an Acura TL Type-S).

Actually, the yellows are more for tracks. I based my decision off of this information on their website:

"Low dust street use on prestige imports (silent braking required)"

Either way, I`m taking them off and going back to the OEM Brembos, I`ll deal with the dust. It`s not like I can go more than a few days without washing my car anyway.:biggrin: