PDA

View Full Version : WTT: Edge pads (foam and wool) with adapters

100%Newbie
12-02-2001, 04:03 AM
Hi guys,

I am a 100% newbie in car detailing, hope you guys can help me.

I have absolutely no idea why there is a rubber scuff on the front side of my brand new 1 month old Lexus ES...... My car is silver, and the scuff is white. The scuff is 4 inches long, and 1 inch wide.

I used soap, sponge, and my finger nail to carefully remove most of the rubber. But there are still many many rubber dots left on the paint. And a few black dots that actually damage the paint all the way to the metal (*sigh*).

I am thinking to use Goo Gone to remove the rubber dots, but I am afraid that it will damage the paint.

My questions are,

* is Goo Gone a good product?

* And if I use it, do I have to do anything afterward, like wax that area?

* I don`t know how to wax car. Is the "spray car wax" good? Which brand is good?

Thanks for the help in advance!

P.S. What do you guys think about the cause of the rubber scuff?

100%Newbie

- 2002 Lexus ES300 Silver/Black

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-02-2001, 04:11 AM
did u try any clay yet...the mark could be from anywhere...maybe somebody swiped you just slightly while u were parked...with a rubber trim part/bumper...all speculation by me( had it happen)....the most important part is read a bunch of answers from people here....use the search button on the top of your screen here(the archives have such a huge knowledge base),,,,and then dont procrastinate...get it done...especially the parts that are down to the metal...we want to get that covered(if even temporarily) to prevent any damage...welcome to the board buddy....your gonna love it..:up

100%Newbie
12-02-2001, 04:26 AM
Thanks FLONI.

I don`t know what clay is... which brand is good?

What I really don`t understand is that the rubber scuff is white. That means the bumper has to be white ... ?? I don`t think there is white bumper out there...... ??

For the black dots, I am going to put some factory touch-up paint on it, and then use LANGKA blob eliminator. Is it a good plan? That`s the best I can think of after doing many research.

Does "Spray car wax" work?

Thanks.

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-02-2001, 04:44 AM
from another car...could be anything that hit into your car....clay is the "first level of attack` for most of us trying to get any contaminants off your paint...it looks like silly putty and you take a piece...lubricate your paint....say with quik detailer or a little car wash and rub the clay over the area...gently...it should suck up some of the contaminant(rubber)...there`s alot of threads in the archives if you put in "clay"...rubber...dots...try to narrow your search down because if you just put in clay youll get a gazzillion replys.....which may be a good thing if you wanna really get into it.....most people here like ClayMagic or Mothers Claybar....start with the clay...it might do the tric...if it doesnt you can start working your way up the "abrasive ladder"...SMR...etcc....

the factory touch up is the best way to go to just get your paint protected for now....to seal it so to speak....then you can decide about how to make it cosmetically better...Langka gets mixed reviews here....some have said its great....some not...so ..i never used it....or the spray car wax(not exactly sure what this is to be honest)

please do a search on applying touch up paint...before you do it....the info in here really makes a difference so you dont get such big clumps....and then even if you use the langka...it wont have that much work to do....remember....youd rather have to put the touch up on ...say 3-4 times.....then put too much on once......less is more and dont use that stupid brushy thing that comes with the bottle...get a #2 artists brush(cheap)...or a toothpick...match stik....and try to let the paint move into the area...instead of brushing it in...for instance....clean the area very well of all debris....get all the loose pieces out of there...then if you were using a toothpick....dip in into the bottle...very little paint on it...and try to put the toothpick at the cneter of the "hole` and allow the paint to flow down the pick into the hole......i hope i expalined it so u can get it...im kinda excitable and ramble...:) .........last thing........ARcHIVES.............

100%Newbie
12-02-2001, 04:59 AM
Thanks for the detail explaination :)

There is sooooo much to learn in car detailing...... I found this website a few hours ago and I think this is just a great site :up

Gotta do some more research on the archives now, thanks FLONI.

imported_Mindflux
06-26-2010, 07:34 PM
--HARDWARE--
Edge Rotary Adapter (not the newer "3000" model)
Edge PC Adapter

--FOAM--
Orange 6" Foam Edge pad
Two 6" Blue Foam edge Pads (one pad has small chunk of foam missing from hole where edge connector fits in on one side)
White 6" Waffle Edge pad - (never used)
Red 6" Waffle edge pad - (never used)

--WOOL--
Black 6" wool edge pad - (never used)
Yellow 6" wool edge pad - (never used)
Green 6" wool edge pad - (used once)
Blue 6" wool edge pad - (never used)
White 6" wool edge pad - (never used)

Open to trades for other 6" pads or various other items.

imported_Mindflux
06-28-2010, 03:26 PM
this is done :)