PDA

View Full Version : Amateur needs help with black wrinkle surfaces

autopia
11-29-2001, 02:30 PM
I was going to wait a while to open this forum because I wanted to have 3-4 articles written on the subject. However, I`m getting a lot of questions on the topic of detailing as a business.

With the down turn in the economy, starting your own business is an excellent way to secure income. With more than 100-Million cars on the road, there will never be a shortage of customers.

For all of you Pro Detailers and future Pro Detailers, please join me in making this forum the community town hall for mutual success. In the coming weeks and months, I will be releasing a series of articles on how to build a mobile detailing business or detailing shop.

If you have experience, please post it. Help others with your success. There`s no reason that anyone wanting to make detailing and car appearance their profession can`t make a good living from it with the right assistance and motivation.

Enjoy!

DavidB

boywonder
11-29-2001, 04:59 PM
I`ve been waiting for this forum to open up for a long time. I want to learn as much as I can to become very successful in this business (Hence my tagline, Ketch in Training).

10bballer
11-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Thank you for your post.I to want to start a mobile detailing business.I have so many questions.

imported_Tex Star Detail
11-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Holy 6 year old thread batman!

BradUF
11-04-2007, 02:42 PM
ah hahaaaaaa

red rock rubi
06-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep black wrinkle finished metal parts looking good. Keep them from fading and looking black in the bright sun.

Door handles, mirrors, fuel doors, etc. I just can`t seem to keep them looking new, especially when the sun hits them.

I`ve used Blackfire products and tried some 303 but haven`t been happy with either at this point.

Suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Todd@RUPES
06-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep black wrinkle finished metal parts looking good. Keep them from fading and looking black in the bright sun.

Door handles, mirrors, fuel doors, etc. I just can`t seem to keep them looking new, especially when the sun hits them.

I`ve used Blackfire products and tried some 303 but haven`t been happy with either at this point.

Suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Hey triple R! How have you been?! Are you trying to prevent the parts from fading or restore the finish?

Some plastic parts are very cheaply made and are going to fade no matter what :(. The best we can do is try to slow this process by using a heavy UV protectant like 303 or Meg`s Ultimate Protectant).

Once the part has become oxidized it will not hold any dressing what-so-ever. I have had good luck by cleaning with a strong APC and a stiff brush (to remove any imbedded dirt), then lightly polishing with Klasse AIO for several applications to remove any oxidation. Try a test spot first.

red rock rubi
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Hey triple R! How have you been?! Are you trying to prevent the parts from fading or restore the finish?

Some plastic parts are very cheaply made and are going to fade no matter what :(. The best we can do is try to slow this process by using a heavy UV protectant like 303 or Meg`s Ultimate Protectant).

Once the part has become oxidized it will not hold any dressing what-so-ever. I have had good luck by cleaning with a strong APC and a stiff brush (to remove any imbedded dirt), then lightly polishing with Klasse AIO for several applications to remove any oxidation. Try a test spot first.

Been crazy busy bouncing around from west to east and back again for work but it`s a good problem to have right now considering! :cornut: Thanks for asking!

I`ve got the plastic parts covered...the 303 is working well for me. It`s the pot metal parts that are painted with the black wrinkle finish that bugs the crud outta me! :banghead:

I`m trying to keep them from looking faded in the sun. They still look great in the shade but once the sun hits them I can see they are a bit faded. I tried 303 on them as an experiment with no luck and Blackfire paint sealant (separately, not sealant over 303). They kinda look like they have a slight film of oxidation on them in the sun.

I`ll give the clean and klasse routine a shot. I need some other goodies from PAC anyway!

Thanks for the quick response.

matt@wheelwax
06-15-2010, 01:23 PM
The difficult part in cleaning rough painted metal parts is that they are difficult to buff out the low spots. I use a soft bristle brush (toothbrush) to get at the low spots. Try a dawn dishsoap with a toothbrush to remove the old grime and wax, then protect and shine the surface with a non-dusting/non-chalking polish/sealant. Make sure to do this out of direct sunlight and polish a small section at a time.