PDA

View Full Version : New old timer

Pages : [1] 2

imported_doug
11-28-2001, 01:37 AM
I`ve been using lambswool mitts but some people are telling me sponges are even better. Do you agree? What kind? I assume we`re not talking about pink and yellow kitchen sponges here, but rather larger natural sponges?

I bought a natural sponge once many years ago and it still had remnnants of organisms that used to inhabit it. I wouldn`t let that thing NEAR my car. SO - if sponges are da bomb, what specifically and where can it be bought?

Thanks

DETAILKING
11-28-2001, 08:48 AM
it is because of your lambs wool mitt. They scratch. Use a viking 100% cotton one or equal that will not scratch. I would avoid sponges as they are not forgiving and rub the dirt right into your paint...........

Preachers Sheets
11-28-2001, 08:51 AM
I switched from the cotton mitt to a section of a brand new white Royal velvet towel, I can see the dirt better and I rinse it off after doing each half panel. The dirt rinses out better too.

imported_nihoole
11-28-2001, 09:57 AM
I had been using lambswool mitts also and I do think they were scratching my paint so I changed to a 100% cotton wash mitt.I have also heard bad things on the sponges and would not use one on the paint.I have the Pinnacle brand 100% cotton mitts and they are great hold lots of suds and feel very soft.Take care:up

Lemonxxs
11-28-2001, 10:49 AM
I now use the MF wash mitt from CMA. I love it. It holds more soap gook and washes great. I clean then store in zip lock baggie when dry. I never go below my grey plastic trim with it either. For that I use a OXO brush.

Chenile chanozzle Shotz Beverge Incorprated.

Sorry I could not resist. I saw a rerun of Laverne and Shirley last night.

BradE
11-28-2001, 12:37 PM
I agree, the use of sponges to wash your car is not a good idea. The sponge has no "nap" or "pile" for the dirt to travel up into. So, the dirt pretty much remains on the surface of the sponge and you rub it into your paint while washing. This can be especially dangerous in winter months when the cars get extra cruddy. I would stick with a high quality wash mitt. Either Microfiber, 100% cotton chenille.

Good Luck!!

boywonder
11-28-2001, 05:25 PM
I prefer the mitts because of the following reasons:

a) Better rinsability

Dirt is less likely to be trapped in a chenille wash mitt than in a sponge because a spong has a greater number of pores that can trap dirt and cause you to create swirl marks while washing your car.

b) Better control

I have had instances where sponges have dropped out of my hand when washing a difficult to reach panel.

c) Lower cost of ownership

Although sponges are initially cheaper(not the natural ones), they wear out a lot faster tham mitts, especially when they get tangled on trim.

Bluedog
11-28-2001, 05:56 PM
i dont understand how some of u guys r getting scratches from the lambswool. ive used mine for almost a year now and i just got a brand new one to repalce it. to me it seems perfectly fine and doesnt scratch anything. plus its so soft and easy to use, much better than the CMA MF mitt, it doesnt let go of the water it soaks up... less water on surface of a wash=more chance of dragging particles.

Don2000g
12-02-2001, 06:26 AM
I`ve been thinking about this question for a few minutes now. I can`t seem to recall anyone on this site who`s been here for any length of time who`s a real natural sea sponge advocate. I just can`t think of one. Is there anyone here who just swears by this product and would rate them as good or even better than chenille mitts. Just curious. Thanks

Neeraj
12-02-2001, 11:50 AM
************I edited my post from earlier**********

I don`t get it either about Lambs Wool mitts scratching. Unless they are different from the Sheepskin mitts (which I use).

I`ve been using one for years and have had good luck. They seem to catch dirt and rinse off very easily.

Any others have reasons why the wool mitts scratch?

I like them, but still have an open mind. Just want to do what`s best for my car.

Brian

imported_doug
12-02-2001, 01:02 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I too have been perfectly happy with the mitt. We all know that ANYTHING will scratch, especially if used with bad technique, on a dirty car. The suggestion (which came frm elsewhere) about sponges caught me off guard. Intuitively, mitts make more sense. I`m going to stick with mitts.

Langley Interior Car Kare
12-02-2001, 01:40 PM
since im a product horder...:p i ususally use the sheepskin from Viking....i think some people say that not that these necessarily scratch but they were out because they are a "natural hide` type product...so then they will fall aprt....ive had mine for about 5 mths and they look fine...but then again i use the viking chenille(100%) when the car is a little dirtier..like mud...rainish type stuff....then ill use the MF mitt in the winter....to get push all the snow off my car in the morning...love that mitt with snow....the only thing i had used sponges on was the wheel wells....if i get one with a kit or something...

BTW....good question about the sea sponges Don....i saw it in the ebook but ive never even heard anyone talk about it before/after that..:confused:....

ok...did a bunck of searches and lots of people mention them but never actually admit to using them...funny.,...like a scred myth or sumthin...anyway...i found 1 post back in july from ZV....he deosnt use it anymore but at least he has actually seen one...not like me...good post BTW...

I think the Chenille cotton is good, used synthetic before and..>>

it kinda left very minute and fine scratches in the paint

and sealant. Since it is sythetic and designed to last a long time, those attributes also lend it to scratching if

used forcefully. You may have to replace cotton more often,

but to me it`s worth it in the long run as it is absorbent

and easy to use. Seasponge would be my second choice (1st if

they were not so expensive!) because it`s soft, absorbent

and has lot`s `o holes for soap and dirt to be drawn into.

When I had one, it got better as it got older because it soffened up and really got the suds going, as well as being

a gentle cleaner.

Footy
12-03-2001, 12:50 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Don2000g [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I`ve been thinking about this question for a few minutes now. I can`t seem to recall anyone on this site who`s been here for any length of time who`s a real natural sea sponge advocate. I just can`t think of one. Is there anyone here who just swears by this product and would rate them as good or even better than chenille mitts. Just curious. Thanks [/b]</blockquote>I was also trying to remember where I saw the natural sea sponge being advocated, and finally remembered - it is on the CMA site under washing tips http://www.properautocare.com/washingtips.html (`http://www.properautocare.com/washingtips.html`)

The author is not indicated, but i would assume it`s either David or Terry

Don2000g
12-04-2001, 10:31 AM
Leave it to the good old mongoose lover to find a good example. Thanks Footy. But other than that, I still can`t remember anyone advocating natural sea sponges either. Laters buddy.

DaGonz
12-04-2001, 11:41 AM
I prefer wash mitts, and use several, based on what I`m doing. For the body of my vehicles above the mouldings, I use a sheepskin wash mitt. For the lower panels, I use a chenille wash mitt, for the wheels I use another chenille wash mitt. As the mitts start to wear out, they get recycled to the lower panels of the vehicles. I use the two bucket method and also use separate buckets when I do the wheel and tire assemblies.

I`ve had my sheepskin wash mitt for over a year, no problems with it at all! I do have a brand new sheepskin mitt just in case!