PDA

View Full Version : sanding/cutting/compound

Pages : [1] 2

toolmanduff
11-27-2001, 04:14 PM
Anyone think that the makers of Blackfire (CMA?) would be willing to produce some small 2 oz. sample size bottles of their stuff like Klasse does? I would really like to try the stuff before I stop using the Klasse twins since I just got two bottles of the stuff. Maybe if enough people show an interest they will.

jkochis
11-27-2001, 05:41 PM
Call them up at 1-800-628-7596 and ask. Let us know what you find out!

Don2000g
12-02-2001, 05:35 AM
Probably not going to happen. You never know though. I kind of like the idea of giving out samples to the real long time visitors and supporters of this forum and CMA though. A sample, to say 20 or so members here, could very well lead to even better sales. Never underestimate the power of positive consumer feedback. Laters

fabz77gp
06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
ok so i have a black grand prix, and the car would look wicked nice if it didnt have the crap that it has on it. id like to save it instead of having the whole thing painted. the thing is black is black, it has to be done right. all this sanding/cutting/and compound sounds scary. the only thing i can think of is taking a piece of sand paper to my beautiful black or dropping a rag on the ground during a windy sandstorm. am i over reacting and paranoid? how can i practice this art without harming my baby?

imported_Flash Gordon
06-10-2010, 07:17 PM
how can i practice this art without harming my baby?

Just like everything else in life. Be patient and study. Use the search feature to study threads/how to videos. Then eventually practice on your MIL`s car :wizard:

fabz77gp
06-10-2010, 07:24 PM
if i had a mother in law i would. maybe i can practice on my mom or sister`s ````boxes and they literally are. (mercury tracer, early 90s subaru legacy wagon) 1st though i gotta find a rotary machine cause my buffer sucks royally! it just vibrates and if it spins it frisbees my pad. i got loooooots of practicing to do.

bmw5541
06-10-2010, 07:30 PM
You might want to go to a local junk yard and see if you can pick up an old hood or trunk lid. Good to practice on something that doesn`t mean anything to anyboby.

fabz77gp
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
hot damn thats an excellent idea! i can probably do that! a hood for dirt cheap. let it sit outside and get dirty. wash it, practice on it, that cant be too bad. you duh man! thx i appreciate all the advice!

bmw5541
06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
hot damn thats an excellent idea! i can probably do that! a hood for dirt cheap. let it sit outside and get dirty. wash it, practice on it, that cant be too bad. you duh man! thx i appreciate all the advice!

That is why we are all here my friend!

Let us know how it turns out.

magnumtm
06-11-2010, 12:59 AM
I`m not sure if you are talking about scratches or oxidation or both. Last year in Aug. I did my first paint job. I have a 95 Dakota and the paint was falling off it. So i thought i would paint it myself. After many hours of sanding with 320 paper and prep work I did primer/ sealer, base coat clear coat. I did 2 good coats of clear and it was orange peeled bad. Thats how i learned to wet sand with 1500 paper and buff with compound. It turned out pretty good.
Last month my wife bought a 2005 Magnum SXT. (brilliant black crystal paint)
After the first wash i found 8 or 9 bad scrathes in the hood. REALLY BAD SCRATCHES I wet sanded them with 2000 grit paper and buffed. It worked great. You just have to be careful and sand a little at a time and check frequently. I buffed the sand marks out with my PC/xp, and a yellow mini buff foam pad, Meg`s ultimate compound with the speed set a 5. Then went back over with a white pad and Meg`s swirl remover #9.

imported_Stokdgs
06-11-2010, 12:59 AM
If you have a Sears polisher, it must be one of those big black circular things that has a circular handle on it on the top and you hold on to it with both hands, right ?

That type of machine will never give you the correction and perfection that any of the machines discussed here and sold by PAC, will give you.

As has been suggested already, use the Search feature, read, read, and then read some more, ask us questions, especially ask Angelo -zoomzoom mazda - questions, and you will end up if you want to, a well informed, equipped, detailer - for your own vehicles, or perhaps even for making some cash..

There are so many awesome Detailers on this Site alone, you cannot go wrong. I learn great stuff all the time here.. Some of these people post elsewhere too, but this is a really, really, good, balanced, Forum, set up and run by great people with vision, and enthusiasm about what we are all here for - having the nicest, looking vehicles and also making other people`s vehicles just as nice.

As Angelo has said many times - making America beautiful - one car at a time !!:):):)

For sure, you need to unload that Sears machine and get into the major leagues now. Take your time, learn, ask, investigate, look at the awesome inventory for sale on this site..

We are all here to help - Rock On !!:):Car smiley:

Dan F

fabz77gp
06-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I`m not sure if you are talking about scratches or oxidation or both. Last year in Aug. I did my first paint job. I have a 95 Dakota and the paint was falling off it. So i thought i would paint it myself. After many hours of sanding with 320 paper and prep work I did primer/ sealer, base coat clear coat. I did 2 good coats of clear and it was orange peeled bad. Thats how i learned to wet sand with 1500 paper and buff with compound. It turned out pretty good.
Last month my wife bought a 2005 Magnum SXT. (brilliant black crystal paint)
After the first wash i found 8 or 9 bad scrathes in the hood. REALLY BAD SCRATCHES I wet sanded them with 2000 grit paper and buffed. It worked great. You just have to be careful and sand a little at a time and check frequently. I buffed the sand marks out with my PC/xp, and a yellow mini buff foam pad, Meg`s ultimate compound with the speed set a 5. Then went back over with a white pad and Meg`s swirl remover #9.

the roof and the spoiler are both deoxidized, theyre turning grey. and my car was involved in a hit and run while it was parked (i blame those stupid kids learning how to drive and the dumb instructer HAS to make them park in a spot next to my shiny grand prix all waxed up, parked away far by itself) and the guy that painted it, didnt even bother taking the scanner to the paint cause he didnt think my paint code was correct. so now my car is black, brown (the not matched black), and grey (the deoxidation). the only thing thats starting to chip away is the license plate cover.

fabz77gp
06-11-2010, 08:40 AM
If you have a Sears polisher, it must be one of those big black circular things that has a circular handle on it on the top and you hold on to it with both hands, right ?

That type of machine will never give you the correction and perfection that any of the machines discussed here and sold by PAC, will give you.

As has been suggested already, use the Search feature, read, read, and then read some more, ask us questions, especially ask Angelo -zoomzoom mazda - questions, and you will end up if you want to, a well informed, equipped, detailer - for your own vehicles, or perhaps even for making some cash..

There are so many awesome Detailers on this Site alone, you cannot go wrong. I learn great stuff all the time here.. Some of these people post elsewhere too, but this is a really, really, good, balanced, Forum, set up and run by great people with vision, and enthusiasm about what we are all here for - having the nicest, looking vehicles and also making other people`s vehicles just as nice.

As Angelo has said many times - making America beautiful - one car at a time !!:):):)

For sure, you need to unload that Sears machine and get into the major leagues now. Take your time, learn, ask, investigate, look at the awesome inventory for sale on this site..

We are all here to help - Rock On !!:):Car smiley:

Dan F

this is the buffer that i have, its not mine, its just a pic off google images but its the exact same one i have. its a monster.

fabz77gp
06-11-2010, 08:41 AM
this is the buffer that i have, its not mine, its just a pic off google images but its the exact same one i have. its a monster.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Qf4ur2pPud1ho8nJxEK7Ag

Todd@RUPES
06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Qf4ur2pPud1ho8nJxEK7Ag

That is a pure orbital and is not really powerful enough to do anything but spread a thin coat of wax over the surface. That`s it.