PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure.....

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

midyearroadster
11-26-2001, 09:41 PM
I intend to have a pro do the tint job.

I am thinking of tinting the windows on my CR-V, what do you do with the rear window, that is equiped with that grid heater, if after a few yrs the tint needs replace. Or accidents happen and I scratch it.

It seems to me that the dark smoke tint after age turn`s to a purple hue, from the sun, fadeing it.

My 95 Chevy, has the windows tinted,supose to be premium 3 M brand tint. Wife scratched one window, had the tint replaced, on that window only,old stuff was 4 yrs old. The old tint looks a little purple, compared to the new. Its not real noticeable.

DETAILKING
11-27-2001, 12:27 AM
the more scratch resistant it is and the longer it will last. The cheap stuff will begin to turn purple after about 3-5 years. I would go with metallic tint, it is supposed to last much much longer.

I would tint the rear window. Many cars that have tint have a rear defroster. It won`t ruin it.

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-27-2001, 01:05 AM
it was like last wk or this wk...how did it go....you decided metallic right...what was the upshot with the radio interference post....what did you decide...in other words...whats up???:bounce

DETAILKING
11-27-2001, 01:35 AM
The guy cancelled on me, and I am going in 2 weeks now. I can`t wait. I am going metallic 35% all the way around. Hopefully I will have a digital camera by then to show you!

imported_Homer
11-27-2001, 03:48 AM
Tom,

Stick with reputable tints: Madico, 3M, Llumar. Do your research and call around the tint places in your area. Make sure they do warranty the work to your satisfaction.

Tint will turn purple after time and prolonged exposure to sunlight. Cheaper tints turn purple faster. I`ve had grey/smoke tint on my `97 Prelude for 4 years now, no bubbles, no purpling. The quality of the install is what is most important. A top-notch tinter will make sure all the tiny air bubbles and dust is removed from the tint before it dries.

I would not fear about the rear windshield defroster...the heat it generates will not harm the tint or adhesive.

Huy

waxerman
11-27-2001, 07:34 AM
Tom, any tint with dye in it will change colour, so make sure you put a pure metal film on your crv . Llumar has Platenum Plus, Solargard has Quantum, Formula one has Ultimate, stay away from 3M. Sungard. Madico. Sean

ISLANDSBEST
11-28-2001, 04:33 AM
If you are REALLY concerned about color fade and "purpleing," consider using CERAMIC tint. Hupert Optic, a German company, makes it and claims zero fade, higher UV and heat rejection for any given darkness of tint, AND no interference with RF (radio waves).

The product costs considerably more than metallic and a LOT more than dyed film. But, you should never get dyed film, if you can avoid it.

Don2000g
12-02-2001, 05:54 AM
Darbh, what`s the price range on this higher quality tint film that you`re referring to. Thanks in advance.

midyearroadster
12-02-2001, 11:24 AM
Concern when orginally posting, was the fact that should the tint applied, have to be removed for some reason, I would imagine that a razor blade would have to be used.

Then there`s the rear window grid heater, What then?

Thanks Tom

ISLANDSBEST
12-03-2001, 01:17 AM
Hi Tom,

There is actually, if you can believe it, a <em class=`bbc`>window tint forum[/i] at Edmunds.com! The fellows there report few if any problems with damaging the heating wires on removal of the tint. But, you might need to use the appropriate removal meathod, depending on the situation.

Here is a link to a commercial site with a FAQ:

http://www.dhc.net/~blair/toppage1.htm#Dyed%20Window%20Films (`http://www.dhc.net/~blair/toppage1.htm#Dyed%20Window%20Films`)

ISLANDSBEST
12-03-2001, 01:34 AM
Hi Don,

Nice to hear from you.

I have limited data on the actual pricing . . . though an international distributor for the product confirmed to me that it is more expensive. Here is what one fellow at Edmunds reported to me:

"I talked to huper optik rep. here in SD. The tint sounds like good stuff. It rejects more heat per amount of light transmitted than any other product. It uses a ceramic, instead of a metal coating, so it won`t interfere with radio reception. They wanted $350 just for the back three windows. Expensive!"

Now, that was just one quote and, it was obtained about three months ago, when the product was just being rolled out. Its not uncommon for prices to be high on release. I have not gotten any recent data, though I should as I want to tint, but metallic is out (my radio antenna AND the GPS attenna are both under the rear window) and dyed tint sucks.

ISLANDSBEST
12-03-2001, 01:40 AM
Here the link to one of the more exotic groups, devoted entirely to window tinting:

http://townhall.edmunds.com/cgi-bin/townhall (`http://townhall.edmunds.com/cgi-bin/townhall`)

Hit "Aftermarket & Accessories," then look for "window tinting" in the list of forums.

sing-toledo
12-03-2001, 03:43 AM
Hello darbh,

Just thought I`ll add my two cents worth to this topic since I actually installed Huper Optik on my car.

I live in Singapore, tropical climate with ave. temp. between 77 to 95 deg. Had Huper installed on all the windows of my new car, including front and rear windscreens.

It makes a huge difference in terms of comfort level. In my previous car, an hour in the sun would leave the steering wheel too hot to handle. In my present car, I can still hold the steering wheel quite comfortably even after 1 1/2 hours in the sun. The car also cools down faster once the air-con is running.

IMHO, the film is worth every penny I`ve paid (cost in Singapore is about US$500).:cool:

ISLANDSBEST
12-04-2001, 02:50 AM
Hi sing-toledo!

Great to get your post. I have a Chinese friend who lives in Singapore.

And, oddly enough, my main source of info on the Huper film is the Singaporean Huper distributor!

Glad to hear you like the film. Tell me, what is its tint? Someone told me it has a slightly green cast to it. Is this so? I hope not, because it would not go well with my blackcherry (actually, closer to burgundy) car (uh, green and red is not bad for Christmas, but I don`t think I want Christmas colors all year). So, I would really appreciate it if you could describe its color.

Don2000g
12-06-2001, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info Darbh. Like you, I sure wish I could get some more info on the appearance and/or color of this tint. It sounds VERY interesting. Thanks again.