PDA

View Full Version : Swirlies

Pages : [1] 2

bbquer
11-26-2001, 07:45 PM
I`m about to use some touch-up paint on the door edges,

and i also have Langka.

I have a spray can of motomaster clear-coat, should i use some of that on top of the touch-up paint ? and how should i go about doin it ?

THNX

Andre'
11-26-2001, 08:18 PM
Do a search on paint touch up, and go to Autopia car care home and look for the tips. 2000 Grit sand paper works much better than the Langk kit

Lemonxxs
11-27-2001, 11:00 AM
Your choice. but I would put clear on it and they sell it in little touch up bottles too.

imported_firebird
06-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Not sure swirlies is the right word, but it`s for sure not marring. I see most cars have them but I don`t want them! They are the little spider web like scratches. I don`t think my polishes have enough cut so would it be a good time to try M205 and M105? Car still looks good and shiney but I want to get rid of these little spider like scratches. :confused:

imported_CH.Detailing
06-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Is this what you`re talking about?

This was at the National Nissan Convention last weekend, the car was entered in the car show nonetheless.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4670317470_2a5e341026_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1283/4670315716_7ac348de9f_b.jpg

If M205 doesn`t do the job for you, M105 certainly will. You can probably find the OTC equivalents of Ultimate Compound (consumer grade M105) and ScratchX (consumer grade M205) at a local Autozone/Pepboys/O`Reilly`s

imported_firebird
06-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Yes! Mine are not that bad but that`s what I`m talking about!
Thanks for your help.:thumbup:

imported_CH.Detailing
06-07-2010, 11:39 PM
[off topic]

I saw that beautiful Z in Omaha over the weekend and was horrified at how bad the swirling was! The car is actually a project for Nissan Sport Magazine (Link to car (http://www.nissansportmagazine.com/projectcars/2003350zstreet.html)). One thing I noticed throughout the weekend was that the owner would wipe the car down with QD every morning when he arrived at the track, and in the afternoon when he was done racing, and I`m sure again when he arrived back at the hotel at night (using only one cloth of course!). As much as it pained me not to slap the QD out of his hand, I didn`t want to be "that guy"; I was just there to enjoy myself.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4669760517_bb4994ec3d_b.jpg

To the owner`s credit, he was a very skilled driver. There were a couple of C6 Z06`s sharing the track, and he was right on their heels all day!

[/off topic]

imported_firebird
06-07-2010, 11:44 PM
I`m sure you were tempted big time!

bmw5541
06-08-2010, 07:45 AM
The 105/205 combo does a great job of getting rid of those nasty swirls.

God luck and let us know how it turns out.

imported_Luster
06-08-2010, 07:50 AM
M105/205 should do the trick. Swirlmarks are a bi-product of washing, drying, quick-detailing. They can be somewhat avoided (at least delayed) by using proper washing/drying techniques, the right tools, microfibers, etc.:thumbup:

imported_Stokdgs
06-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Amazing pictures of red swirls !!
I have corrected alot of cars that had so much swirling, it was hard to tell the true color of the paint. I have alot of pics of some of these on my website. www.dansautodetailing.com

I often also use the M105/205 combo and if the paintwork depth allows, and Im pressed for time, hardness of the paint, etc., I will often use M105 with a L/C purple foamed wool pad, and amazingly, it will finish down so well, you only need a M205 type of finishing polish to really bring out the gloss even higher. I still like to use the Makita 9227C for this type of correction though..

I know, it hurts to see this kind of paint being treated as you described - maybe next time, if you are close by, leave a business card with the car or the people?

But I also understand, sometimes, one just needs to step back from the work and enjoy a weekend !!

Thanks for sharing the pics and your comments !

Dan F

Todd@RUPES
06-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Amazing pictures of red swirls !!
I have corrected alot of cars that had so much swirling, it was hard to tell the true color of the paint. I have alot of pics of some of these on my website. www.dansautodetailing.com

I often also use the M105/205 combo and if the paintwork depth allows, and Im pressed for time, hardness of the paint, etc., I will often use M105 with a L/C purple foamed wool pad, and amazingly, it will finish down so well, you only need a M205 type of finishing polish to really bring out the gloss even higher. I still like to use the Makita 9227C for this type of correction though..

I know, it hurts to see this kind of paint being treated as you described - maybe next time, if you are close by, leave a business card with the car or the people?

But I also understand, sometimes, one just needs to step back from the work and enjoy a weekend !!

Thanks for sharing the pics and your comments !

Dan F

That is a nice website, Dan.

imported_Flash Gordon
06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
[off topic]

I saw that beautiful Z in Omaha over the weekend and was horrified at how bad the swirling was! The car is actually a project for Nissan Sport Magazine (Link to car (http://www.nissansportmagazine.com/projectcars/2003350zstreet.html)). One thing I noticed throughout the weekend was that the owner would wipe the car down with QD every morning when he arrived at the track, and in the afternoon when he was done racing, and I`m sure again when he arrived back at the hotel at night (using only one cloth of course!). As much as it pained me not to slap the QD out of his hand, I didn`t want to be "that guy"; I was just there to enjoy myself.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4669760517_bb4994ec3d_b.jpg

To the owner`s credit, he was a very skilled driver. There were a couple of C6 Z06`s sharing the track, and he was right on their heels all day!

[/off topic]

Funny story. Congrats on keeping your lid tight. When I see stuff like this it makes me wanna break out the polisher and do a 50/50 on there decklid to show them how good it could look :spy:

imported_Stokdgs
06-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks Todd !

Appreciate the feedback. It is a work in progress. Hope to keep improving it along the way.

My biggest challenge is getting customers to come back to it and give me feedback so I can post it up.

Glad you liked it.:)
Dan F

imported_Flash Gordon
06-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks Todd !

Appreciate the feedback. It is a work in progress. Hope to keep improving it along the way.

My biggest challenge is getting customers to come back to it and give me feedback so I can post it up.

Glad you liked it.:)
Dan F

+ 2 on having a cool website ;)