PDA

View Full Version : Quick question before a detail

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Eric
11-26-2001, 07:10 PM
I am looking for the most durable of the<span style=`color: red`>Collinite products. I have used the 845 Insulator Wax. I want to stay within that line for now. Has anyone used the 476s Superdoublecoat Autowax, 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax or the 885 Paste Fleetwax? Of course there is the Marque D`Elegance. I am more interested in the durability aspect since none of my 3 cars are garage queens.

Also is there a good product for removing old dried fly dirt. Glaze doesn`t work all that well (#7 Showcar or Imperial Hand Glaze).

Thanks.

tom p.
11-26-2001, 07:41 PM
adc, I recently purchased fresh cans of Insulator wax and the SuperDouble Coat products and tried them side by side. The Double Coat is supposed to be their most durable product. It is extremely user-intensive and difficult to remove. I cannot say it looked any better than the Insulator wax which I have used off and on for the past 15 years.

Stick with the Insulator wax...it is far easier to use and the longevity is very good.

My overall rating of Collinite`s products: I feel the Klasse All in One and Klasse Sealant Glaze are superior products and offer comparable (if not superior) longevity, much nicer shine and much easier to work with. These products are a good solution for the person not wanting to wax his/her car monthly.

muttgrunt
11-26-2001, 08:35 PM
I spoke with a Rep. from Collinite a few months ago and asked the same questions that you posted. Straight from the horses mouth he said: The 476 double coat and the Marque D`elegance are "exactly" the same but the Marque has a oil based fragrance added. He told me to go with the 476 and save myself a few bucks minus the aroma. When I asked about the insulator wax he told me it is their liquid version of 476.

When my Blitz runs out (and I`m very very pleased with Blitz) I am going to try the 476 for my daily driver. Why switch ? Not switching...BUT...I`m a fanatic and I *think* I have room in my garage for one more can of wax, just one more honey...honest !!:):) However....I will always have a can of Blitz. Its great stuff and affordable !!!

TBone

DETAILKING
11-27-2001, 12:15 AM
They are all very similar. I have also used the marine wax, and it had excellent durability for a carnuba. It is tough to work with, so be prepared for a work out. You will like the water beading......beads like crazy. KLASSE has more of a sheeting effect.......

muttgrunt
11-27-2001, 12:26 AM
How does the 476 go on ? Spreads easy, a bear to remove ?

TBone

DETAILKING
11-27-2001, 12:34 AM
and the hard part was buffing off the residue.....

muttgrunt
11-27-2001, 12:45 AM
Give em a call. Just ask for a Customer Rep for auto applications. Their real easy to talk to. 315-732-2282.

TBone

imported_Eric
11-27-2001, 06:37 AM
Much appreciated!!!!!

Steve @ Guru
11-27-2001, 07:33 PM
We tested the Super Double Coat Auto Wax & Marque D`Elegance waxes at thewaxtest.com.

Looking back at our initial notes on the products, we gave them C`s for application (due to the small openings on the cans) and C-`s for removing the waxes.

One testers notes regarding the MDE - `really bonded itself to the surface, very difficult to remove, however no streaking present`

So, they are a little more difficult to remove, but they are proving to be very durable. Finally, I`d like to note that we`ve been generally unimpressed with the clarity of the wax - it`s pretty `warm` (as in it has that nice carnauba look), but it isn`t the clearest wax we`ve seen.

All in all, if you`re looking for a durable carnauba, the Collinites look like they`re a pretty safe bet.

Don2000g
12-02-2001, 05:40 AM
I`ve also tried the 476. I really didn`t think too much of it. Wasn`t overly impressed with its ease of application, removal or appearance. Isn`t this what we want in a carnauba? If you want a comparable yet even better wax, try Blitz. Much more user friendly and gives a better shine and depth. Its longevity is also excellent. For what the 476 promises, I`d rather just stick with a synthetic such as Klasse AIO or SG. I tend to much prefer those two products. Laters

Leadfootluke
06-07-2010, 08:51 PM
I should have posted this here earlier, but I am just starting a detail that will take about 4 days to complete.

After doing a test panel, I will be finishing with m205 on a h20 tangerine pad. Before applying the LSP, I would like to know if any of these products will add gloss, increase the duration of the LSP, or in any way, be beneficial. They will most likely be applied with the PCXP and a LC gray pad.

Klasse AIO - Non-abrasive, seal
Optimum Poli-Seal - Clean, polish [abrasives], seal
Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer - fine polish with no abrasives

Here is an older picture of the car, it is an inferno red 2005 Dodge Magnum RT

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Redv8s/Detailing/IMG_0737.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Redv8s/Magnum%20Detail/IMG_0923.jpg

I hope to use Collinite 915 as my LSP, but I am still unsure if I should seal the paint first, use any of the aforementioned polishes, or just leave it alone?

This IS my first ever detail and I will have loads of pictures in another thread, but I am trying to do it right the first time. I have spend months testing LSPs, methods of application, and innovating a few new techniques to use, but I have not had sufficient time to try out these pre-lsp cleaners/polishes.

Thanks in advance!

Street Dreams
06-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I don`t think the AIO will do much or the poli seal. As for the WG stuff I cant say.

Personally a better route could be going back with 205 on the DA with a black finishing pad, shouldn`t take you more than 45minutes as 205 works very fast and buffs off like butter.

Do a test panel, a whole panel, and see if gloss and clarity increases "noticeably". If so then go for it, if not than go right to LSP.

915 is a great wax with superb looks, if you apply a thin coat or 2 that should really be all you need.

Worry about the polishing part and make sure the finish is dialed in before LSP, at that point it should simply be a little icing on the cake anyways.

Good luck my friend :biggrin:

Leadfootluke
06-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks a lot David!

What speed and how long should the M205 on the finishing pad be worked? I am using a PC7424xp for everything. This sounds like a great idea to squeeze that extra bit of gloss out.

bmw5541
06-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I don`t think the AIO will do much or the poli seal. As for the WG stuff I cant say.

Personally a better route could be going back with 205 on the DA with a black finishing pad, shouldn`t take you more than 45minutes as 205 works very fast and buffs off like butter.

Do a test panel, a whole panel, and see if gloss and clarity increases "noticeably". If so then go for it, if not than go right to LSP.

915 is a great wax with superb looks, if you apply a thin coat or 2 that should really be all you need.

Worry about the polishing part and make sure the finish is dialed in before LSP, at that point it should simply be a little icing on the cake anyways.

Good luck my friend :biggrin:
I agree with Dave.

I did just that on a detail today. I did 105 on a H2O Cayan pad and followed up with 205 on a black finishing pad. It worked great. After that I applied my LSP.

Good luck!:Dancing Dot:

imported_Stokdgs
06-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Right on information from a couple of great guys !!

Its such a subjective thing to try to describe - gloss - how much glossier, etc.. it can make your head hurt.. :)

Its pretty hard to beat the combo described above by Dave and Barry.
That particular color will be absolutely beautiful after your careful prep - and as said earlier, anything on after the good prep is like icing on the cake.

You will be fine, and be the hero for the owner !!! :):):)

Good luck
Dan F