PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Charlotte, NC!! *Jet Black BMW E90 3er*

Pages : [1] 2

We're Here
11-26-2001, 06:51 PM
I`m harboring the suspicion that the proprietary polishes that we`re told are a necessary part of a "system"(according to those who sell the stuff anyway) aren`t really.

I`d love to streamline my arsenal by just stocking (say) PPCL instead of Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish, Zaino Z-1 Polish Lok, etc.

Any thoughts on the subject? BTW, it didn`t go unnoticed by me that DavidB used PPCL prior to laying down Blackfire All Finish Paint Protection on his recent trial of the new sealant. Thanks!

WH

KR CoolShine
11-26-2001, 08:16 PM
Well, I don`t know about eliminating the proprietary stuff. Like many members here, however, I think the most important part of a good finish is the prep work (like a lot of other projects, avocations and professions).

So, I am looking for the best possible paint surface before I apply any finishing product.

In my case, I was interested in removing as many surface imperfections before using the Blackfire (or any other) products. If I had major swirls or imperfections, I would have used one of the 3M products. Because I did not, I started with PPCL.

Based solely on the lighting in my garage, I think that I am going to like the results I got with Blackfire. I will let you know when I see the car in the light of day tomorrow.

imported_Intermezzo
11-26-2001, 08:44 PM
The Z-1 isn`t a polish in the traditional sense. Although some people report that it has some minor cleaning ability, its main purpose is to allow proper bonding between Z-2/Z-5 and the surface to which it is being applied.

I would probably use BF`s polish....just to see how well it reduces swirls (and maybe clean off whatever residue PPCL left).

My impression, when reading DavidB`s review as well as another thread where David mentioned using PPCL, is that he used PPCL as well as the BF polish before applying BF Protectant. I might be wrong though.

If you are satisfied with how your surface looks after PPCL, then you would probably be fine in forgoing the BF polish. But I`m sure a lot of forum members would disagree with me! :)

Tony

Andre'
11-26-2001, 08:55 PM
Try it, if you don`t like the end results start over no harm done.

DETAILKING
11-27-2001, 12:17 AM
You HAD to use BF polish before the sealant. Is that an optional step?! I wonder if anyone applied the sealant on one panel and the polish + sealant on another......interesting test...both initial gloss and durability.

Bobby G
11-27-2001, 11:21 AM
No doubt my phone will ring off the hook on this one... but PPCL is my preference for pre-waxing and pre-sealant cleaning. It just seems to work the best for me. I have used it as the cleaning/polishing step for BF Protectant, KSG, Autoglym, and Z-5 with ZFX... all with great results.

db

ISLANDSBEST
11-28-2001, 04:26 AM
The Z1 is not much of a polish, to begin with. So, if you need to do surface prep, I would not rely on the Z1. But, that does not mean you can <em class=`bbc`>skip[/i] the Z1. Sal explicitely states that it has a function much like a "primer." In any event, the Z1 is applied infrequently, so I do not think much is to be gained by skipping it. AND, I find that "more frequent than recommended use" of Z1 really improves the appearance of the car. So, I would recommend <em class=`bbc`>more[/i] frequent use of Z1, not less.

Hope this helps.

mtechnik
06-07-2010, 07:50 PM
I wanted to introduce myself. I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit, and moved down to Charlotte about 3 years ago after college. I`ve been detailing my own car at home since I was 16. I`ve also been a long time PAC customer, and continue to refer anyone I can. Now I`m 27 and own a beautiful jet black BMW 3 Series. I`m a big BMW enthusiast, and look forward to chatting with you all about detailing!

Here are some pics of my car.

-Misha

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2730/4244162573_ab119583c3_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4259141023_6656fec1c1_b.jpg

imported_Sal329
06-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Welcome Misha the car looks awesome

imported_Flash Gordon
06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Welcome Misha the car looks awesome

Yea, what he said ^^^ :biggrin:

Hope to see you around :wizard:

imported_Luster
06-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey Misha... Welcome to TID!!! (Nice Ride!):Dancing Dot:

imported_firebird
06-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Wow! Welcome! I am sssooooooo jealous of your ride!:Car smiley:

bmw5541
06-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Beautiful car you hve there Misha. Welcome to TID.

Jack Kruer
06-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Misha,

Welcome to TID. I hope you enjoy your time here and share some of your detailing experiences. Thank you for your past support of PAC :clap::clap::clap:

jk

imported_glfahlc
06-08-2010, 04:12 PM
kewl wheels there misha.... a jet black bimmer is a full time job.... ask me how i know.