PDA

View Full Version : David Fermani`s amazing tire drying technique...

Pages : [1] 2

tattoowdr
11-25-2001, 06:37 PM
After finding this forum, I have found myself constantly reading the posts and acquiring so much information that it`s been hard to decide on specific products. I have decided to go the Zaino route, and I have some minor scratches and swirl marks all over my black car that need to be removed. Here is what I was thinking about ordering:

1) ABC system

2) Z1, Z2,Z5, Z6, Z7, Z18

3) 3M Finesse-it II, 3M SMR and Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion

4) Foam pads (for applying everything)

5) Chennile wash mitt

6) 303 protectant

7) the set of towels from properautocare.com (magic towel, glass cleaning towel and 3 detailing cloths)

This comes to around $232! Yikes! I`m looking for things to eliminate to save some money. I need to know if I will need that many scratch remover products. If I used FI2, would I need to follow with SMR to remove any scratches left, as well as PPCL to remove any haze left by the other 2? Or would following with just one do the trick? Also, after using all these would there even be any need for the Z5? Can the C carwash in the ABC system be used as an everyday wash that won`t strip off Zaino? If so, that would eliminate the Z7. Thanks for any advice! :)

rstype
11-25-2001, 06:43 PM
I know Brad B. has had luck with Pinnacle PCL to remove the Finesse-It 2 haze on black cars, so you might want to remove the SMR. I would keep Z5; you never know what will happen... micro-marring, swirls... whatever.

As with the Z7, "C" shouldn`t affect the Zaino but some members feel it makes a bit difference. Personally, I find Meg. Gold Class fine.

JasonC8301
11-25-2001, 07:10 PM
I wouldn`t really change anything. I might even add stuff to that list. But thats just me. I see it as spending 20K+ for a nice car, I wouldn`t mind spending around $200-300 on stuff to pamper it.

But as far as your list. It looks top notch.

Keep in mind that black is VERY VERY difficult to keep perfect. You will have to live with a very small amount of swirls and some light scratches here and there. This is the down side to a black car, it shows everything. The up side though is a maintained well cared for black car sparkles till no end.

1. ABC

2. Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7, Z18 (If you wait for the ZFX to come out you can eliminate the Z1 right ZFX users??? Just mix with Z2 or Z5 and layer 3 coats on??) Someone please comment on ZFX.

3. 3M Finesse It II, 3M SMR, Pinnacle PCL. No real comment on this, I usually go from 3M Finesse It II right to Klasse AIO because I have not experienced hazing yet, but I would go from 3M FI II to Pinnacle PCL. I think the 3M SMR and Pinnacle PCL is about right along the same lines in terms of abrasives.

4. Foam pads

5. Chenille wash mitt (may think of 2, one for top cleaner, and one for the lower dirtier, and two bucket method, black car, want to make swirling and scratching to a minimum.)

6. 303, Z16?

7. The set of towels from CMA

What are you going to dry your car with?

I read the review for the big blue towel from CMA for $25, DavidB likes his very much.

The dirty work, drying of the door jambs, around the engine, wheels, wheel wells, and other dirty jobs not requiring a top notch towel. Try to find some cheapo MF towels for this.

What about wheel cleaner, tire cleaner, exterior vinyl/rubber dressing, carpet protector (303/3M), brushes, and other items??

I am trying to make you think of supplies needed to do a complete detail job, everything needed to make your car from top to bottom shine and be very clean. Make a detail cheack list of everything on your car thats needs to be cared for.

The initial list you have sounds good for exterior paint work and the 303 can be used on tires, but most use it in the interior because of the matte black finish.

Most people using the MF Glass towel from Viper in the CMA kit say to wet the towel, and wring it out as much as possible. Use all your strength to get out all the water. Then use it on the glass. Some people have experienced streaks, but most were solved by doing this.

What kind of car do you have and what condition is it in?

Thanks

Jason:up

JonB
11-25-2001, 07:20 PM
The CMA towels are Ok. I use the glass towel and it is excellent. The green Vipers are Ok for general use, but unless they have changed the Magic towel, it lints terribly. If you are serious about detailing I would order a 5 pack of YoSteves MF`s. No lint and much better than CMA`s magic towel. Also if you are going the Zaino route (and even if you aren`t) get a few Charisma terry towel irregulars at the online outlet store. Great for drying and removing Zaino. Use the Zaino car wash...it is formulated to help keep the Zaino shining. The ABC is great to get started with though....remove all the old stuff.

H

BradE
11-25-2001, 07:52 PM
You can save some $$ buying some of things on your list locally instead of ordering them online.

3M Finesse It II can be bought at a local places like Napa, or a local auto paint supply house.

3M SMR can be bought at Pepboys.

You can get Viking Cotton Chennile wash mits at AutoZone or WalMart.

Most local Marine supply stores carry 303.

For the rest of the stuff, shop around. You can find some good deals on towels and applicators if you look. You can get foam applicators for 50 cents each if you order 6 of them from top of the line, www.topoftheline.com. So you can get 12 applicators for $6, not bad. I recently got one of the new "Magic" towels, and they still lint very bad. So, you can get some towels from Steve, or from neatitems. They both have good towels, and they are not as expensive and they don`t leave lint either. www.yosteve.com www.neatitems.com

tattoowdr
11-25-2001, 08:12 PM
Jason- I have a `97 Prelude that is well-maintained in good condition, with the exception of some swirls and scratches in the paint (which are impossible to avoid w/black) and a few chips here and there. I have previously used Meguiars products, now I`ve decided that there is better for my car. I guess I will keep my list the same, except eliminating the 3M SMR and maybe adding some wheel and tire cleaner, carpet protectant and exterior dressing as you mentioned. What brands would you suggest? As far as drying goes, I`ve already put the big blue towel on my wish list, but for now I`m stuck with the chamois and california water blade that I`m currently using. It seems to work ok, as long as I`m careful not to use the CWB once the car is pretty well dry.

As far as towels go, I am still confused about how many I actually need. What exactly are the magic towel and the towels from yosteve used for? Can they be used for drying? Do I need those, plus small MF detailing towels? Can these MF towels be used to remove Zaino or do I need the Charisma terry ones bigboyhf mentioned?

Thanks

Scamp

:cool:

rmccall6
11-25-2001, 08:38 PM
Skip on the z-7. Its a litlle expensive and if you really want to rejuinate the zaino then use the z-6... just use the "c" which is a great weekly wash. As for abrasives, having three is always good, just make sure they have different cuts. FinnesseIt II is good, then SMR, and then z5 (more of a glaze) should be suficient. Also, i love Blackfire, you might want to consider that but its up to you. add some EF-HI, skip on the carpet protectant.

JasonC8301
11-25-2001, 08:44 PM
said, shop around locally. I went to a Pep Boys a year or so ago and saw Lexol products.

Tire and wheel Cleaner - Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity works very well for this. Makes the wheels clean and free of brake dust and the tires are cleaned and ready for an application of rubber protectant/dressing.

Carpet Protection - 3M makes a good carpet protectant, also 303 have good reviews and repel water from what I read on this forum.

Exterior Dressing - If its hard plastic, Klasse works well on it, but for the porous type trim, clean it well first, then put on some Z16, it works like 303, maybe a little bit more sheen, but lasts longer. Z16 also can be used on tires for a black low/medium gloss.

Dry - The CWB serves me well, its a double edge sword, I wash the car throughly, maybe twice if its really dirty, then dry it with the balde, keeping the blade clean, which is done by swipeing it with my fingers after each pass. This gets the bulk of water off, I follow up with a nice soft 100% cotton towel.

These microfiber towels CMA (Magic) and YoSteve(Steve`s towels) offer can be used for almost anything. There was a problem with linting from the magic towel as I have heard, but CMA may have solved this problem. YoSteve`s towels are top notch, I have 3 of them myself. They can be used for drying the car, buffing off product residue off the car, used on glass, practically anything.

They are expensive though. $8-$14 for each of these top quality towels depending on where you go.

I use both microfiber and cotton towels in my detailing. Better jobs are suited for cotton while others are for microfiber.

I mostly clean, dry, and buff residue with a 100% cotton towel. Then catch all the lint with a pass with a MF towel.

You may buff Zaino with a MF or Charisma, see which one you like and stick with it.

As for # of towels, it depends on what your doing

For me
Dry - CWB + 1 100% cotton towel for follow up + 2 cheapo hand towels to get the door jambs and dirty areas, end up chucking the towel after usage.

Polish - Depends on what polish I`m using. 1 cotton towel or 2 Mf`s for buffing residue for each step in polishing.

Zaino - One towel should take care of it, maybe 2.

(5 or 10 MF towels from www.yosteve.com should cover the MF sector, and 2-3 cotton towels for miscellaneous things, and a 18 pack or so of cheap terry rags for dirty jobs for $6 from K-mart.)

These charisma towels can be purchased at department stores, Linen and Things, Bed Bath and Beyond, outlet stores, and cannon/fieldcrest site. Ah I forgot what it was. Can someone add it?

As for microfiber towels
www.yosteve.com
www.properautocare.com
www.tacscar.com

For general supplies
www.properautocare.com
www.tacscar.com
www.carcareonline.com
www.3m.com (free shipping for a short time)

Check local paint shops, NAPA should carry 3M and Meguiars pro line. Marine stores sometimes carry 303.

Jason

Todd@RUPES
06-04-2010, 08:06 AM
THIS is David Fermani (notice how happy he is)

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x121/tropicaldetailing/truth/df1.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x121/tropicaldetailing/truth/df2.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x121/tropicaldetailing/truth/df4.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x121/tropicaldetailing/truth/df5.jpg

Step one- Remove wheel
Step two- Cleaned wheel and tire
Step three- BOUNCE!!!

imported_Flash Gordon
06-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Hilarious

Hope the wheel doesn`t make a bad bounce and chip the lip :o

TimG
06-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Not a good idea guys. Done that before. Hit me on the nads. :cursing:

imported_Luster
06-04-2010, 10:03 AM
The question is: Can he dribble behind his back?:D

CosminTX
06-04-2010, 01:55 PM
magic :wizard:

bmw5541
06-04-2010, 02:56 PM
The question is: Can he dribble behind his back?:D

Or can he dribble without looking?:clap:

imported_Bunky
06-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey. I used the DF Method this past weekend when I rotated my tires. I took off all the wheels and clean the inside with Optimum Power Clean. I just did not bounce them as high.