PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum recommendation

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Gary
11-20-2001, 04:08 PM
I was applying 303 to exterior rubber seals after washing the car and a lot of black color came off the rubber and onto the applicator. Does anyone know what is causing this and what I should do about it.

Lemonxxs
11-20-2001, 04:12 PM
It seems the rubber has degraded from either UV or something and is coming off. Did the rubber seem dry and chalky?

Try cleaning it again. You will have to remove this gooky stuff and get to clean undamaged rubber again.

Ron Ketcham
11-20-2001, 04:23 PM
It is the rubber oxidizing.

Yes, the 303, etc has UV protectant, not really, it is a dressing and the shine reflects the UV`s is how they can claim UV protection.

But don`t go ballistic, the product is fine, just that there are many variables as to why you sometimes experience this and some others may not.

One is the vendor of the part and the quality of the part. Some, such as Land Rovers have a real problem, on some cars, just certain parts exhibit this concern.

Two is that the dealer may have dressed the parts with a greasy kid stuff dressing and that will accelerate the degradation of the rubber.

Three is that you may have used a solvent/dimethal product at one time and were not aware of what it could do over time to the part.

I always suggest that when applying any dressing to trim parts to clean the part first with rubbing alcohol. This will remove any old dressing, clean the part of oxidation and allow for a better bond of the new dressing.

Sure there are more questions, but this will serve as a start point.

Ketch

:eek:

imported_Gary
11-20-2001, 04:23 PM
not quite as dark as it should be. The car is one and a half years old.

Lemonxxs
11-20-2001, 04:27 PM
Re-clean it with soap then try Alcohol as Ron suggests. Try wiping a towel or MT on a dry clean pice and see what comes off.

This old degraded ruber needs to be removed or it will ever turn your towels black.

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-20-2001, 05:03 PM
is that alcohol treatment you described meant to be done every so often...to get rid of the old stuff...or can i just keep layering on the 303 for example...i usually just wipe the rubber down with soap and water once a mth...then every other wk with the 303...

imported_Gary
11-20-2001, 05:41 PM
Can it be said that a dressing with more shine and more reflection will provide greater UV protection. How much UV protection do you really get with products like 303.

11-20-2001, 06:37 PM
but the bottle says 100% protection against slow fade from UV...take it for what its worth....

YoSteve
11-20-2001, 07:58 PM
questions, what part of the country do you live in? what car do you have and how much sun exposure does it get? i`m certainly not wanting this on my 2 year old car. maybe we can avoid this situation, well I use Klasse and I can tell it`s there so the UV protective properties might help.

imported_Gary
11-21-2001, 06:39 PM
for three months. I live near Washington DC. I do not have a garage and neither did the previous owner so the car was exposed to the sun all day.

imported_Eric
11-21-2001, 07:11 PM
works super for discolored/polish stained exterior vinyl. I have `92 Corsica where the vinyl/plastic-whater stuff below the windshield where the wipers are located. I couldn`t believe the results- works much better than peanut butter. :D

imported_Page
11-23-2001, 10:14 AM
Floni,

I am not Ron, but I would say you would want to use the alcohol every once in a while. If you clean with the alcohol, and then dress, and keep your trim clean, you really should not need to clean with the alcohol more than 1ce or twice per year.

Ron may have other info, so I will let him be the authority on this...just my thoughts.

SJ

Ron Ketcham
11-23-2001, 10:23 AM
When one sees "build up", the part collecting to much dust, starting to turn color, clean it and redress.

No reason to do it everytime.

Ketch

:up

11-23-2001, 04:01 PM
i never have build up....but i bet i will this winter,...with all the salt...etc....thx again..

ThePriceofPerfection
05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
So I am new to properly detailing but very excited and eager to learn. I want to have an immaculate ride but I`m also hopeful of doing some detailing on the weekends.

I`m working on building a proper arsenal of detailing equipment and supplies. I recently purchased a PC7424 xp for my paint work and I`m now looking for a quality vacuum set up.

I`m impressed with PAC recommendation of the Vac N`Blo. It seems to be very powerful, portable, and has great attachments and it also blows! But after detailing my girlfriend`s car, which was a mess, I`m not sure if I`m going to need a wet/dry vac or with proper chemicals and elbow grease I should be able to remove tough stains and thoroughly clean all of the carpet and upholstery with the Vax N`Blo.

Just looking online I saw a couple of Ridgid wet/dry vacs which look good

and

but, I`m not sure if they will do a good enough job. Ridgid also sells an auto detailing kit with some nice bits. So, I would love to hear what everyone thinks, Thanks!!