PDA

View Full Version : A Hot Arizona Howdy

bbquer
11-20-2001, 03:04 PM
on the edges of the door..

it seems that no matter how careful i am with opening the door, the edge of the door will eventually hit a wall..

i`ve got an really ugly door edge now, all the way down to the primer, and its about an inch of the edge..

HELP! what can i do ??

mrtonyn
11-20-2001, 03:30 PM
Step one: use touch up paint to cover the damage.

Step two: use 3M Scotchcal film to protect the edges from damage.

Step 3: Have a Tequila Sunrise and enjoy the sunset.

soonchawal
11-20-2001, 11:52 PM
Try this, it has worked for me in the past.

Use your normal touch up paint and with a small brush fill in the scratch.

Before it is totally dry take a Non-silicone polishing compound and rub it out lightly. This will remove all of the rough edges that happen when you are using a brush to fill it in.

If necessary, since you used a non-silicone polishing compound, you can repeat the process until the chip is flush.

You might want to practice before you do a money job:bounce:

DETAILKING
11-21-2001, 09:36 AM
rubber door guard strips on the edge of the doors. On some of my cars it looked good. You can get edge moldings cheap at any auto store. They are low profile and serve their purpose.

picorrect
11-21-2001, 10:20 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>rubber door guard strips on the edge of the doors. On some of my cars it looked good. You can get edge moldings cheap at any auto store. They are low profile and serve their purpose. [/b]</blockquote>
Please don`t. Not on that sweet Boxter, or on your BMW Detailking. Next we`ll be talking about curb feelers and fuzzy dice.

YoSteve
11-21-2001, 10:23 AM
maybe the "tape" in the other thread might be better once you fix it :)

Lemonxxs
11-21-2001, 10:26 AM
The edge will always chip even after repaired because the paint tends to be thinner. chip repair paint would work but would probably chip off again. Maybe you can repair paint then apply a thin pice of STEVES protective tape.

BTW

I love seeing them protective strips the factory has when they ship new cars. People drive with them big black thingys on for thousands of miles and they even have wax build up on them.

DETAILKING
11-21-2001, 10:37 AM
NOt putting them on the bimmer :)

bbquer
11-21-2001, 11:41 AM
no way am i putting those rubber strips on my car..

maybe i will get some scrotchcal for the sides..

anyone know where to get them ?

RustyH
05-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Greetings all. I`m the proud owner of an airbagged, Honda Ridgeline with custom Candy Apple paint, graphics and painted to match wheels. I haven`t really spent a lot of time detailing my own ride, usually letting the local hand car wash do the work for me but with my new truck, I think I`m going to be spending a lot of Saturdays cleaning and polishing it. Hopefully this site will help answer some questions I may have.

bmw5541
05-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Welcome to TID RustyH.

You will absolutely get a lot of great information here. Ask all you want. We are all here to help.

Btw, stay away from the hand wash places. Ever see the drying towels they use?:scared:

shepro
05-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Hi In my opinion (what`s left after my wife has had hers) this is the best auto site that I have found.The wealth of information is astounding.Always something new.
Anyway glad to have you join in.

Old Pirate
05-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Welcome RustyH to TID. Looks like your ready to move to the next step of ownership....Looking for the perfect shine! Nice looking ride there!:thumbup:

Puckman
05-25-2010, 06:36 AM
Welcome Rusty and welcome to the addiction!