PDA

View Full Version : IPA Wipedown

Freeman
11-20-2001, 07:46 AM
Just wondering if anybody has ever heard of this product? Our local auto paint store here has all there products,,and they have a pretty good line of stuff on their web site . www.automagic.com
Looks like they might cater to big detail shops as lots of their stuff is gallon containers. If anyones used these,,would appreiate to hear what they thought of it,,, Thanks !!

DETAILKING
11-20-2001, 09:27 AM
You are correct....their detailing lineup is more geared toward body shops and pro detailshops where cost is important. Most of their products are generic type bulk waxes and polishes. TOP OF THE LINE, PROWAX, and SUPERIOR PRODUCTS have similar products. If you are looking to save a few bucks, a gallon lot of some quick detailer or tire dressings or cleaners might be a good idea. I doubt you will like their waxes if you are an enthusiast though. If all you are after is a great shine, try out their "wet wax." I have used it and it shines like crazy. Lasts about 3-4 weeks tops.

forrest@mothers
11-20-2001, 10:06 AM
They are the parent company of Clay Magic.

Lemonxxs
11-20-2001, 10:14 AM
Clay Magic is a great product at a local reasonable price IMO.

Scottwax
11-21-2001, 12:25 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Clay Magic is a great product at a local reasonable price IMO. [/b]</blockquote>
Love their clay, hate their waxes. The only detail shops I know that use them are the `quickie` types who try to move a ton of cars through the doors each day, with the bulk of them from used car lots. It leaves white in the emblems and between body panels also. If you are looking for a cheap, bulk wax to use on cars headed to used car lots, it is fine. For high end stuff, I wouldn`t use it.

I have a customer with a new S600 that has some swirls in it from the crappy dealer prep. She bought some Automagic swirl remover, but I told her I preferred to use Meguairs Swirl Free instead. Anyway, her car was going in for 10,000 mile servicing the next day, so she wanted to wait to get her car waxed. When she got it back she tried the Automagic QD, and apparently was not impressed at all, in fact, she said it sucked, and she was taking both the swirl remover and the QD back. I am detailing her car this Saturday....

She should have known better, because I got some nasty swirls out of her husbands Bentley with Dual Action and Swirl Free.

94Canuck
05-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Hello, I`ve been noticing a lot of people talking about IPA wipedowns. I`ve also seen it diluted to 50/50 IPA/Distilled Water. I`m wondering at what point in the wash/prep procedure do you do this, and what the benefit is?

Thanks.

bmw5541
05-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Hello, I`ve been noticing a lot of people talking about IPA wipedowns. I`ve also seen it diluted to 50/50 IPA/Distilled Water. I`m wondering at what point in the wash/prep procedure do you do this, and what the benefit is?

Thanks.

The IPA wipedown is done after the polishing stage to inspect the work that has been done. The reason for the IPA is to remove any oils and fillers that might be covering up swirls and or scratches. This is so you know if the defect is removed or just covered up. In most cases you want to remove the defects, so they will not return the next time you wash your car.

I hope this helps.

Puckman
05-22-2010, 07:07 PM
David, (Street Dreams) posted up an excellent thread on alcohol wipedowns about a month or two ago and suggested varying the % of alcohol for various applications. I`ll see if I can find it and link it here. It made a lot of sense to me when I read it.

Found it: http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=3388

I agree with Barry that it is to remove anything left behind after you`ve done a polish or buff step to insure you removed the imperfection and not simply hidden it with oils or fillers left behind. I only do it after I`ve just finished with a "cut" session on that section. For example, let`s say I just did M105 on an orange pad and have reduced it down as far as I think is good. I then spritz some alcohol/water on that section to remove any polish left behind and inspect my work. If it needs it again I do 105/orange again and than another alcohol wipedown. I then may move on to 205 and a white or black pad and work that. After 205, you guessed it, another alcohol wipedown.

I do not use alcohol after I use a glaze or an LSP. Alcohol certainly removes LSP`s (to varying degrees) and might reduce the shine from a glaze (although I don`t use glazes that often). Many glazes contain additives like oils etc. that add to the shine and I wouldn`t want to remove them with alcohol. One of my favorites some time back was P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleaner before I topped with carnauba.

Since David`s post about varying the mixtures for different application I`ve been experimenting. I think Bryan (gmblack) uses straight alcohol with good success so again, it probably varies. Again, the main reason is to remove anything that hides your work at reducing paint imperfections.

Good question as it`s probably helped others to discuss it again!

94Canuck
05-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the link and the replies, very helpful.

94Canuck
05-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Second question if you guys don`t mind.

I have some left over wax residue. Is there a method for removal that is better than others? I have been going around finger nailing it or brushing it out lightly. Will some of this come off with the claybar possibly??