PDA

View Full Version : WTT: Sample of BFWD w/ Polycharger

DETAILKING
11-18-2001, 05:25 PM
I am getting the bimmer tinted next weekend. I decided on 35% all the way around. I am trying to decide whether or not to get smoke tint or metallic tint.

Some people with BMW`s claimed the metallic tint hurts radio reception as the antenna is in the window. What do you guys think? I find that hard to believe.........

rstype
11-18-2001, 05:29 PM
I would say smoke tint would look nicer with your shadow-line trim. I might get the windows tinted too, but it`s illegal to tint the front windows in California.

imported_Homer
11-18-2001, 06:21 PM
If you really want to test whether the metallic tint will afftect your reception, do this:

1. get yourself a small pocket radio

2. get a square sheet of the metallic tint (ask the tinter to sell you some)

3. lay the tint onto a table, place the radio in the middle of the square of tint. Turn it on.

4. From one of the 4 corners of the square, cut inwards to where the radio is placed, but leave room like an inch or two around the radio.

5. repeat for all remaining corners.

Now, you will fold the corners towards the middle and kind of `wrap` the radio. A simplified version is to simply wrap up the radio without having to do all this cutting of corners and such.

Observe if the radio reception is affected or not.... Simple, eh? Something I picked up from reading "Road and Track" or "Car and Driver"...one of those mags.

Huy

PS: Illegal or not, I think the owner should use judgment in the darkness of the tint. Having limo tint in a daily driver is very difficult. Anything below 20% is making it hard on yourself. NEVER tint the front windshielf...that`s just asking for local PO-PO`s to pull you over to set up an appointment to exchange friendly banter over a cup of tea ;)

imported_doug
11-18-2001, 11:28 PM
I have also heard that metallic tints greatly reduce the effectiveness of radar detectors mounted inside the car. I would NOT expect a problem for radio reception in an older car where you have an external antenna, but I MIGHT expect it in a car with an in-winshield antenna.

I don`t think Huy`s test will be an accurate one. Radio is funny - and placing an antenna next to a huge sheet of metal (if it conducts electricity, that`s all it takes) might very well have a big effect. It might not block a signal like a black sheet of carboard blocks light, but it might create patterns of reflection and absorption that screw up reception.

Radar operates at frequencies much, much higher than AM or FM radio - and is even more likely to be affected.

With all of that said, however - I do not have first hand experience or sufficient knowledge of RF science - so I can`t tell you for sure.

dhltsai
11-19-2001, 05:31 AM
I have a 97 E320 and the metallic tint causes AM reception to be very static-y. I didn`t realize how often I listened to AM until after the tint was put in. I just haven`t had the time to bring it in and replace the rear window tint. Because of the reception problem, I did not go with the metallic tint on our 01 E-wagon.

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-19-2001, 08:06 AM
is it Lumar tint...and if so..what do they say about it...also...what does BMW say about it....just curious...i know you always go to the top for answers too..:) ......also....

whats the lowest % we can get away with here(tristate.area)..i think its 35%(except the front)

imported_nihoole
11-19-2001, 09:50 AM
I do not think I have ever seen metallic tint.Has anyone got a pic of this type of tint?It just does`nt sound like it would look classy on BMW IMO.I picture this to be a sparkling like glitter maybe or is it just a solid color?:confused:

DETAILKING
11-19-2001, 10:04 AM
In NJ, you can put whatever you want on the rear sides and rear.....damn you can paint it black if you wanted to. You CAN NOT have any tint on the driver and passanger front sides though. I have always done this on my cars with light tint and have had no problems. You just need to scrape it off every 2 years to pass inspection...........

Thanks for the responses....I think I will ask folks on the bimmer board and report back here......

Lemonxxs
11-19-2001, 10:22 AM
Is the metallic actual metal? If it is it will have an impact on Radar Reception and could effect radio reception. It would effect RADAR reception enough that you notice but I seriously doubt it would effect radio reception enough for you to notice all that much unless you applied the tint on the outside over the in window ant.

Now Cell phone reception may be effected as well depending on where the ant is.

Tough choice here.

TortoiseAWD
11-19-2001, 11:30 AM
Here`s some info (gleaned from a car dealership`s site) on metallized vs. non-metallized tints:

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

Inexpensive window film consists of polyester film dyed to achieve the desired color and darkness. Purple coloring occurs when UV rays break down dyes in the poor quality film. Metallized film may cost a bit more, but will deliver a very stable product long-term, primarily due to the deposits of metals (aluminum, titanium, or other metals) on the polyester that supplement the dyes and won`t allow the dyes to turn purple.
</blockquote>BTW, according to Valentine One`s website, metallized tints will reduce the effective range of radar reception; I would imagine the same would be true of AM/FM radio reception as well, although it may not be a noticeable effect with a local station that has a strong signal.

Just a coupla data points,
Tort

neomatrix
11-19-2001, 11:38 AM
I have Navigation on my car and the Manual says to avoid Metallic tint since it affects reception. I also don`t have a regular antenna, just the one on the rear glass.

waxerman
11-19-2001, 02:29 PM
Hi` I have been in the window tinting buiss for 15 years and am a Formula one dealer, metal films will effect your am radio signal a little. I have tinted manyBMW`s and haven`t had too many people complain about radio reception. Audi A-4`s have a big prob with am signal being completely lost with metalized films, so i guess it matters if you listen to a.m alot, if you don`t make sure you get a metal film applied as they regect alot more heat and last for ever with out fadeing or going purple. make sure you get a pure metal film and not a dyed hybrid like some companies are offering. check out my web site for more information if you like. thanks Sean. www.detailingshop.ca

imported_Mindflux
05-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Being a Zaino Zealot I`m always looking to try the latest sealants. I`m so far behind the curve on what`s out there these days I`m skipping over most of them and going for the ones with the most promise.

I`ve got stuff to trade... but I don`t have a full list readily available:

Obviously the Z2/Z5/Z7/Z8/Z-CS/ZPC/ZAIO stuff, some of that may be up for trade if anyone wants to do a sealant swap.

I`ve also got Opti-Seal, Poli-Seal, OPC, OID, OCW and ONR that could be worked into a trade. I also have Meg`s D151, Megs APC+ (orange), Menz 106FA, Menz SIP, DG 501.
Thanks!

-Ryan
:driving:

Old Pirate
05-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Ryan

Call me at PAC and I`ll send you a sample of my own BFWD to you to try.

Angelo

imported_Mindflux
05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks Angelo! I`ll give you a holler tomorrow.