PDA

View Full Version : Autoglym HD application issues

Pages : [1] 2 3

11-18-2001, 05:23 PM
I have spent much of today (thats all day) detailing one of my cars which is a 1966 Rolls Royce Phantom V Limo made by Mulliner Park Ward using a Fegro 5500 rpm high speed buffer. I think its given a more glazed look to the coachwork than my previous high speed buffer which operated at around 3200 rpm.

dengelson
11-18-2001, 06:29 PM
Looks really sweet John. I`d sure like to see some larger photos if you can manage. Thanks :)

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-18-2001, 07:16 PM
:up

YoSteve
11-18-2001, 07:22 PM
I think you picked an awesome day to take that pic.

Good show on that sweet car.

imported_Indy YZF
05-17-2010, 10:45 AM
So I bought some Autoglym HD from Walmart. I`ve used on my truck (metallic Navy Blue) and a customer`s accord (metallic black). Wax is awesome, but seems to be a pain to apply. Using the supplied applicators (damp as instructed), it seems to chunk up alot, meaning as I`m applying the wax, it`ll leave little chunks everywhere. I`m only using a swipe of the container per panel, so I`m not sure what I`m doing wrong. End result is good, just seems like it`s not going on as smooth as it should. I`d use less, but then it seems like it isn`t putting anything on the paint (not even a thin coat).

Any tips?:confused:

imported_Flash Gordon
05-17-2010, 02:30 PM
So I bought some Autoglym HD from Walmart. I`ve used on my truck (metallic Navy Blue) and a customer`s accord (metallic black). Wax is awesome, but seems to be a pain to apply. Using the supplied applicators (damp as instructed), it seems to chunk up alot, meaning as I`m applying the wax, it`ll leave little chunks everywhere. I`m only using a swipe of the container per panel, so I`m not sure what I`m doing wrong. End result is good, just seems like it`s not going on as smooth as it should. I`d use less, but then it seems like it isn`t putting anything on the paint (not even a thin coat).

Any tips?:confused:

I`ve never used the product, but sounds like your appying to much wax. All you need is a "Very" thin layer :wizard:

tmwfla
05-17-2010, 02:40 PM
I just used it for the first time this weekend on my car and didn`t experience any of what you described. I didn`t even dampen the applicator more than it already was from its sealed bag. I did, however, make sure I put an extremely thin coat on the car. So little, in fact, I wasn`t sure if it would turn out very well, but it was great!
Did you clay the surface prior to waxing? Not sure if that could be the issue, but if the surface isn`t smooth, I could see the wax maybe "catching" on the contaminates and appear to be "chunking". Just a thought.

Junebug
05-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Love the wax, but like it has been said - prep work is the key. I`ve used the supplied applicators and recently made my own 4" red LC pad and used my PC to apply. I really worked the snot out of that and probably (ok, definintely) used too much as it took several hours to haze, but the results were stunning and it wasn`t that hard to remove, just took a bunch of MF towels.

imported_Sal329
05-17-2010, 09:55 PM
I used it Saturday for the first time, I wiped the applicator in the tub gettin wax thin on the entire applicator then applied then wiped half in the tub applied spun the applicator applied wax to the other half and applied and would spin alternate halves as I applied I had zero issues

Todd@RUPES
05-18-2010, 07:26 AM
I have had the same application issues and have tried just about every way possible to apply and remove it. It looks great, but sure is a pain!

imported_Indy YZF
05-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Hmm, must be using too much. I`ll have to try with more light to ensure I`m using the right amount. I also had to let it cure forever, so that must be the issue. I`ll try again on my next detail, they`ll get the free hand wax instead of M21 so I can hone my technique. I do want to keep using this as it`s a great wax as mentioned. Really brings the wetness to dark cars.

tmwfla
05-18-2010, 11:59 AM
The amount applied seems to be the main culprit in this particular case. When I used it, I actually set my watch to see how much time it took me, and to test the cure time, etc. The wax says to let it sit for 10-15 mins, by the time I was done applying the wax to my entire car, I was at about 15 mins, so I started taking the wax off, from my original application starting point of course. I used the included red MF towel for removal, and the entire process of applying and removing the wax was done by hand. I had no problems getting the wax to come off. In fact, that was my favorite part. Having used too much Griot`s Best In Show Wax primarily, before the AutoGlym HD, I was dreading the wax removal process, but I literally couldn`t be happier how the AutoGlym came off.

ffbrian13
05-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Newbie here and first post. Has anyone applied Autoglym HD with a PC, or have you just used the boxed appilcators?

Junebug
05-23-2010, 06:44 PM
You miss my post on page 1?

PAR Detailing
05-24-2010, 07:13 AM
Newbie here and first post. Has anyone applied Autoglym HD with a PC, or have you just used the boxed appilcators?

I love the applicators that come with the AG but not with autoglym lol I love the applicators for a soft buttery wax, It makes the application so quick and easy. I wish they sold just those applicators.