PDA

View Full Version : Griot`s Garage Orbital (which kit to buy)

Pages : [1] 2

fishboy
11-18-2001, 01:17 AM
Im going to put on that xpel stuff soon and need to know what else I can use. They recommended 3M adhesive remover but what else can I use??

BUT...most importantly,it needs to be a sure thing(removal, that is) or the xpel wont stick!!! I know people are going to say use dawn, but what else other than that?

JTS

Don2000g
11-18-2001, 02:24 AM
A good paint cleanser will do such as Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. If its just a carnauba wax that you`re referring to, then you can also try 3M SMR. If you have some Klasse on, then you may very well need more than one pass of this product to totally remove the Klasse SG.

Bobby G
11-18-2001, 10:49 AM
Mix up a strong batch of Dawn dish washing liquid and was the area you`re applying the Xpel on. It will remove waxes, sealants and most everything else.

db

fishboy
11-18-2001, 01:56 PM
Isopropyl alcohol?

Im sorta hesitant to put some 3M SMR on the areas esp if they dont have scratches...

JTS

Lemonxxs
11-18-2001, 11:08 PM
What about AUTOINT`s ABC system I thought that removed everything as well?

rmccall6
11-18-2001, 11:11 PM
ABC will completely and saftely strip your car of wax, sealant, grease, oil, polishes, fallout, particles...

vettefan67
11-19-2001, 02:08 AM
Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) should strip your Klasse without problems or the abrasion caused by things like 3m SMR. Just put some in a squirt bottle and spray it down, let it sit for a minute then wipe it off with an MT.

That should strip it right off with no problems:up

Andre'
11-19-2001, 02:52 AM
Neptha or the 3M remover.

edgewise
11-19-2001, 08:54 AM
I use Dawn (about 1/4 cup per 3 gallons) and then re-wash with quality car wash..definately strips any carnauba based waxes...you can feel it afterwards. Then claybar,polish, wax again.

Don2000g
11-22-2001, 11:46 AM
I found the Isopropyl Alcohol to be better at removing Klasse than Dawn. At least this was the case with several layers of Klasse. Laters

drdetail
05-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Hello all,

I am new to detailing and want to start doing waxing/applying sealants, polishing etc. I made up my mind on buying the GG 6" orbital. They sell the product with different kits. I really have no experience in doing any work with orbitals. Do you recommend spending money on the kit that includes a HOW-TO DVD? I know it sounds like a horrible way to learn but is it better to just buy the standalone orbital with the pads and practice on an older car I have lying around or are there any videos for detailing avail on youtube I can learn from without having to pay on the cheezy videos. Thanks in advance.

bmw5541
05-15-2010, 09:43 PM
drdetail,

I have the GG 6" RO as well. IMHO, I would skip the kits for the polisher and purchase a pad set here at PAC. I would get the Meg`s M105/205 combo, and a set of LC pads. You can call Angelo, and he will hook you up with the best possible set for your needs.

As for learning how to polish, I would start here:
http://www.properautocare.com/rempaindefus.html

Just keep looking at some of the older posts here on TID or start a new post and ask away. We are all here to help each other.

Let us know how it turns out, and good luck!

imported_Luster
05-15-2010, 10:22 PM
^^^^ He`s right. :biggrin:

BigAl3
05-16-2010, 12:49 AM
avoid polisher kits unless you know for certain that you will use all the items included (why pay for things you may not use). purchase the griots random orbital direct from griots to avoid any issues in the future (cut out the middleman and go straight to the source), and purchase all the pads, polishes/compounds, and everything else you need here at PAC...

drdetail
05-16-2010, 06:50 AM
always helpful thanks guys.