PDA

View Full Version : Waterspots.....

Pages : [1] 2

JonB
11-16-2001, 08:04 PM
I have been looking all over the place for Prepsol and can`t find any. I`ve tried hobby shops, arts and crafts shops and the Internet....no luck. Maybe a dry cleaning store??

H

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-16-2001, 08:30 PM
let me check around...

Ron Ketcham
11-16-2001, 08:38 PM
However, there are many similar or same products, the generic term is "wax,grease and tar remover".

Naptha is a stand alone solvent, also called lighter fluid.

The concern with the use of most "prepsol" type products is most contain xylene in the formulation and this will damage rubber and vinyl trim. The damage is not always seen until some time passes, plus the xylene is a known carcenigenic by inhalation, skin contact etc.

Ketch:eek:

JonB
11-17-2001, 09:21 AM
Ok....I am preparing to do some paint chip repairs and the instructions contain Prepsol as one of the needed supplies to remove oils etc to prep the surface for the touchup paint. I also looked for denatured alcohol which can substitute for Prepsol, but had no luck finding that as well. Any other suggestions? Or should I just use lighter fluid? I guess I only need a small dab of it to put on the chip, so I am not really concerned about carcinogenicity.

I bought a new hose spray attachement yesterday and on the label it said "Warning, this product contains materials that the State of California had determined to cause cancer". That was a pleasant surprise....

H

Ron Ketcham
11-17-2001, 09:28 AM
Clean the chips with the lighter fluid, agitate with a new small paint brush ( one of those cheap 1 1/2 china bristle, (cut the bristles down to about a 1/2 inch or smaller, makes them stiffer) and then clean the chips with rubbing alcohol, (IPA), you get at the grocery or drug store.

Allow to dry and do your touch up.

If you see the primer or base coat trying to "run away" from the chip, there is still some foriegn material in the chip, so the fluid will take it off and then reclean.

Ketch:up

JonB
11-17-2001, 09:39 AM
Thanks Ron. I`m sure my son has some lighter fluid, though he doesn`t smoke cigarettes :confused:

I have a pen like product that has stiff bristles to "roughen" up the chip. I guess that will work. I also bought a great little brush yesterday, very fine with short bristles. Way better than the brush that comes with the touch up paint. I also ordered some paint applicators from Griot`s Garages, but that was before I found this brush. I guess I will try them both to see which is better.

Ron Ketcham
11-17-2001, 09:45 AM
A paper match!

Not the end with the sulfur on it , but the end that is there when you tear it out of the book of matches.

This is what many use to apply the paint to small chips!

You dip it in the paint, then dab it into the chip, works great.

A can of lighter fluid at the store is about $1.79 to $1.98.

Th "pen" device works great, probably the one that is made by ProMotorCar, (old friends-have the ETG paint gauge we distribute).

Ketch

:up

kgustafson4@msn.com
11-18-2001, 03:45 PM
Ron K. I noticed you said to use IPA to clean before doing chip repair. Can denatured alcohol be used interchangably, or is it more agressive/damaging to the finish?

Thanks,

LJ

Ron Ketcham
11-18-2001, 05:47 PM
The naptha or other grease/wax removers may leave a slightly "oily" residue, the alcohol makes sure the surface is completely free of any residue which may affect the bond of the paint.

Ketch:up

Lemonxxs
11-19-2001, 11:12 AM
Try Zippo Lighter fluid.

imported_Flash Gordon
05-13-2010, 05:56 PM
2004 Jet Black Mustang Cobra Garage Queen Da Rules!

What would be your plan of attack :soldier:

Look forward to any and all responses :toetap05:

Puckman
05-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Wash.

Vinegar wipe down.

Clay.

Wash.

Buff/polish.

Seal.

imported_Asphalt Rocket
05-13-2010, 07:12 PM
They have hard clear flash, get ready for some 105 and a good chance of using a wool pad.

Old Pirate
05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
And a six pack too!......:D

imported_Flash Gordon
05-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Wash.

Vinegar wipe down.

Clay.

Wash.

Buff/polish.

Seal.

Yes, This sounds familiar :(

They have hard clear flash, get ready for some 105 and a good chance of using a wool pad.

Yes, I`m afraid this job is going to require the kitchen sink :out:

And a six pack too!......:D

Yes, a 6 pack of 5 hour energy(black label)drinks :wizard: