PDA

View Full Version : Hello From the Great White North

stjules
11-16-2001, 07:28 AM
I need to know what is the best front-end bra for my car. I would only use it on long trips. My hood is getting repainted due to the fiberglass cracking. I want one that covers the front bumper & is gentle on my new paint. Thnks for any & all help.

edgewise
11-16-2001, 10:36 AM
Colgen makes the best bras, per the Bimmer guys I hang with at Roadfly.

adjulian
11-16-2001, 01:18 PM
do a search on xpel or check out the website at xpel.com, or stongard.com, it`s a clear polyurethance material that protects your car`s paint and is practically invisible. It`s all the time protection without having to look at a bra on your front end.

Bluedog
11-16-2001, 05:03 PM
while on teh expel topic, can someone tell me how u guys maintain it? like do u remove it when u guys wax? or do u jsut wax right over it? do u have to apply anything on it to keep it healthy?

pingiii
11-16-2001, 05:15 PM
If I remember correctly, you treat it just like your paint. Wash and wax in the same way. We also have people who AIO and SG over it, etc.

I don`t believe you need to give it any special care. Enjoy!

YoSteve
11-16-2001, 06:09 PM
do the even make back end bra`s? ;)

stjules
11-16-2001, 09:31 PM
Hey Ripsnort, can you give me a web address for Colgen?

Neeraj
11-16-2001, 10:43 PM
The correct spelling is Colgan.

As far as I know they do not have a website, although I have suggested it to them a few times.

If you do a search on Yahoo, you will find resellers for them.

I`ve ordered directly through Colgan a couple of times with good results. They have even overnighted them to me.

I`ve used Colgan bra`s for many years on my last 5 cars with excellent results.

The bra`s fit very well and are the only ones I`ve found that are rated over 100mph with out flapping.

Brian

We're Here
11-17-2001, 07:12 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by mustangdon2k [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>
Hey Ripsnort, can you give me a web address for Colgen? [/b]</blockquote>No website but they can be reached at: (800)447.2727

Ron Ketcham
11-17-2001, 09:24 AM
If you use a bra for the front of the vehicle, I do suggest one tip.

Remove it after rain or other exposure to moisture for an hour or so to allow the moisture to evaporate from the clearcoat.

These clears are highly absorbant and if the water is not allowed to evaporate, over time there may be a permanent clouding of the clear.

That an the fact that some UV rays do penetrate the clear and fade the pigment in the base coat. If you never allow any UV rays to that area, over a couple of years there may be a color variance.

So, what to do?

On a nice sunny, warm day, take it off and let the vehicle set in the sun and catch some rays!

Ketch

:bounce

Jngrbrdman
11-17-2001, 12:54 PM
I love Colgan. The bra on my Mustang was made by them and so is the one on my Integra. They fit like a glove. Very nice backing on them. I would say they are probably among the highest quality you can get. This is from owning 2 of them and comparing their quality to other bras. It should run you about a hundred buck for one. Here are some websites you can look at.

http://www.autoseattle.com/colgan.htm (`http://www.autoseattle.com/colgan.htm`)

http://www.dashcover.com/bras.html (`http://www.dashcover.com/bras.html`)

If you just pull up a search engine like www.google.com or www.ask.com and ask about Colgan Bra then it will pull up a million sites that sell them. Make sure you specify you are looking for a car bra though or you may end up looking at some front ends you weren`t expecting to see. ;)

I would like to have a clear bra but they are pretty expensive. The Colgan bra comes on and off pretty easy and is high quality so it won`t get all messed up in your trunk. The place I ordered mine from threw in a free bag for the bra when it isn`t in use. I`ll try to find the website from that for ya. He was great to work with. As long as you take care of the bra then it won`t damage anything. They are pretty high maintanence though. IMO very worth it.

Dunmovin2
05-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Greetings from Canada;
Nice to find this form, all be it by accident, but I`ll spread the good word around. I have a SeaDoo, Utopia and used 3M Marine Rubbing Compound to remove Dock scratches, etc and works great.
To my surprise, your home page touts, Star brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF, as I had recently just purchased it and about to use it. I need some advice about the Rubbing Compound and if I should wash the boat before using this Polish and if so, what should I use for the wash?
Thank you all.

imported_Flash Gordon
05-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Greetings from Canada;
Nice to find this form, all be it by accident, but I`ll spread the good word around. I have a SeaDoo, Utopia and used 3M Marine Rubbing Compound to remove Dock scratches, etc and works great.
To my surprise, your home page touts, Star brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF, as I had recently just purchased it and about to use it. I need some advice about the Rubbing Compound and if I should wash the boat before using this Polish and if so, what should I use for the wash?
Thank you all.

Well first off welcome to TruthInDetailing Dunmovin2. This is a tremendous site you have landed on and if your looking to expand your knowledge on your car/boats appearence you`ve come to the right place

As for the Star Brite line of products. Well, I have never used that line personally, but if PAC sells it, you can rest assure they have passed a rigorous testing process. PAC sells no wax before its time. Kinda like a good wine

There are several coastal guys that have way more experience with watercraft so hopefully some of them will chime in, but yes you are going to need to wash this bad boy before you start to polish. On something like this I would use a mixture of Dawn Dish Soap and a good APC. This will help remove some of the oxidation and leave you with a nice smooth surface to work with

Are you doing this work barehanded or with a machine?

Again, welcome aboard and hope to see you around :wizard:

bmw5541
05-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Dunmovin2,,

Welcome to TID. I hope to see you around here. Unfortunately, I have no experience with boats, but be sure to post some pics.:clap: