PDA

View Full Version : Hey Everyone

Pages : [1] 2

imported_ONEFASTCL600
11-14-2001, 12:17 PM
I heard of a little trick to see whether or not leather seats have a top coat or not. I was told to sprinkle a couple of drops of water on the seats. If the water beads and does not absorb into the leather, then it is coated. Seems a much safer test than rubbing at the seat to see if the dye comes off.

Makes sense to me but any comments on this????

YoSteve
11-14-2001, 01:57 PM
The water test is a way to test oils on the skin, like if you try the water test on the back of your hand after using lotion, it`ll bead like a car. Unfinished leathers can be treated to bead.

Another fun experiment for YoSteve: Take a cow shave a patch and put some lexol conditioner on her, then make her lie down and sprinkle some beads of water on her skin. :D

Take some water and a white terry cloth, spit on it ;) and rub in an inconspicious spot instead.

I`m not sure if this is a definitive answer, just my thoughts and comments as you asked. HTH-Steve

Lemonxxs
11-14-2001, 02:14 PM
Test your leather before applying cleaners and such. Under the seat if possible.

I recently was handed down a fine leather recliner chair from my father. He had it cleaned and they used the wrong stuff and the coating is gone. Yeah even furniture has the clear coating now.

Well needless to say his greasy hair left an oil slick. Nothing so far has removed it. A furniture guy said to recover it. The leather has been soaked with oils now unless you want to soak the entire chair. It looks like leather gloves soaked in motor oil, always wet and oily! Amazing what a blanky can do to cover someone elses mistakes.

Lesson learned: Take care of the leather coating.

Steve whats your cows name? and do you AIO her hooves? LOL

imported_ONEFASTCL600
11-14-2001, 04:03 PM
Only problem with the "rub" test is cars that have leather "seating surfaces"...in other words, the sides and the back are vinyl and the part you actually sit on is the only leather part.....its tough to find an "inconspicuous part" to test....

....still, appreciate the responses...

...as for the cow.....I worry about you a little YoSteve.......:)

Lemonxxs
11-14-2001, 05:34 PM
Airball

Try reclining the seat all the way and testing where the back and the bottom meet in the crack. As far down as you can go. When you raise the back up most of the time it is hidden pretty well.

And when you clean recline the seat all the way so you can get to this area easy.

A little tip from your Uncle Earl.

Lowejackson
11-14-2001, 05:58 PM
YoSteve

I think you have `milked` the beading on leather thread :D

Steven

Alfa 164

vettefan67
11-14-2001, 06:07 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Guess My Name [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>A little tip from your Uncle Earl. [/b]</blockquote>
:eek: Have you finally revealed your name? Or is this a joke I missed?

Lemonxxs
11-14-2001, 06:11 PM
Just something my grandfather would say to me.

And it is not his name either.

MikeTheOilMan
05-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Been browsing alot lately, thought I would finally make an account and post.

Old Pirate
05-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Welcome to TID MikeTheOilMan, glad you join up!:thumbup:

Puckman
05-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Hey Mike, Welcome!

imported_gewb
05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Welcome to this corner of the Web!

Regards,
GEWB

bmw5541
05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Welcome to TID Mike.

You found a great site here!

Todd@RUPES
05-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Welcome Mike. Any particular meaning behind your screen name?

Puckman
05-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I was wondering that too.