PDA

View Full Version : Detailed my 09 GSXR 600

Pages : [1] 2

iforcev8
11-12-2001, 08:10 PM
I have always wondered if washing my truck in warm water would take off more dirt than in cold water. My ghetto rigged a hose, and now the hose runs warm to hot water. I actually like it because it makes washing in the cold a lot better. Does anyone know?

jkochis
11-12-2001, 08:23 PM
Warm to hot water is very effective, so much so that it will also help remove your wax.

Ron Ketcham
11-12-2001, 08:57 PM
A. The clear is a polymer based (plastic) substrate.

B. Heat makes this kind of substrate expand. (does not plastic get soft when warm?)

C. Chemical water-based cleaners contain sufactants.

D. Each increase in water temperature above aprox 80 F of 16 to 18 degrees F. doubles the reactivity of the surfactants.

E. Ever notice how hot water gets the clothes cleaner than using warm water?

F. This is due to the increase activity of the surfactants, which become corroisive as the temperature is increased.

H. Ever notice that clothes last longer when washed in warm water than in hot water?

Think it through and you will have your answer, but trust me, there is even more to it than this simple explaination.

Ketch

:up

ISLANDSBEST
11-12-2001, 09:39 PM
Uhh, I think the answer was "the hotter the water, the stronger the cleaning action, and the harder it can be on the item cleaned."

I don`t think this concept exceeds the intelligence of the individuals on the forum. In fact, I think the members knew it already.

Ron Ketcham
11-12-2001, 09:44 PM
You see it is actually about a little thing called "thermal stressing" and that can be very damaging to a clear coat, so don`t take it so lightly.

Just look at many late 80`s, early 90`s GM products that had a "dispersion lacquer clear" and the appearance of the clear today, resulting from this "thermal stressing" issue.

Ketch:down

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-12-2001, 10:34 PM
on a related topic....can u tell me about the effects on the clear if i was to wash the car in the winter(outside) when its say between 20-30 degrees F....say with warm water...not sure the temp the water would be...then you TRY TO WIPE IT ALL OFF.....then the car sits outside all nite......im trying to figure out whats gonna happen this winter when i have to wash my car....no garage...no driveway....at least if i can just do the lower panels to get the salt off....just curious as to whats going on with the paint when it might freeze if i dont get every spot of water off...

YoSteve
11-12-2001, 10:55 PM
Well I washed my car in warm water the past two winters. I have had the water freeze on the paint.

as for thermal stressing, i`m probably more worried about my dashboard (and the paint) on a hot summer day then warm water on my car in the winter :)

11-12-2001, 11:25 PM
i keep thinking that winter is still a ways off...but its 34 degrees outside right now,,,

ISLANDSBEST
11-13-2001, 02:20 AM
Hi Ron. I did not take it lightly. Nothing in my post hints at such an idea. I wrote: "the hotter the water. . . . the harder it can be on the item cleaned." This statement is in accord with what you are saying.

Duh point jess be dat tuh us simple country peoples, it jess be dat duh hot watah sure do take da stuffin outa thangs, what ch`all be call`n dat "thermile stressn," y`alls fancy ten dolla words.

Or, you could say that from the level of Brownian motion, all the way through higher level phenomena, such as the oxidative process, heat increases action. Or, if you want to get more fundemental, heat eventually results in a local increase in entropy.

The point is, whether expressed in simple terms or more complicated terms, I am certain that the people on this forum understand that increased heat may accelerate processes and it is not too complex for them to understand. And, as I said, I think most understood it to begin with. For example, leave most things in the heat and they age faster. You don`t need to be able to talk about entropy to understand that. :) And, it don`t be dat complicated. !! :)

So, cap`n, pleeze don`t be tell`n us dat we`s can`t unnerstan y`all city folks i-deas. We may be`s simple folk, but dat don`t mean we`s be simple minded. We`s got eyes and we can still see, even we don`t got da big vo-cab-u-lar-re. :)

And, welcome back from your trip, Ron, I hope it went well for you.

Don2000g
11-13-2001, 04:54 PM
Good won Darbh. Ya got me laughin a bit heres.

YoSteve
11-13-2001, 05:02 PM
:bounce Hey guys we forgot one!!!

warm water dissolves stuff better ;) which says a lot for cleaning

and...if the hot water on your car dries the panel to quickly and you start getting waterspots you definiatly need lower temperature water.

Glozz
11-13-2001, 09:58 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by iforcev8 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I have always wondered if washing my truck in warm water would take off more dirt than in cold water. My ghetto rigged a hose, and now the hose runs warm to hot water. I actually like it because it makes washing in the cold a lot better. Does anyone know? [/b]</blockquote>
Here`s a simple answer to your reply: If you want to keep your hands from freezing and chapping you can use a warm water for washing your car. I watched my car being washed with warm (not hot) water at a very up scale body shop that has been in business for over 20 years in my local area. The head forman of the shop suggested trying it this winter and that it will greatly reduce drying time, and remove more dirt.

Ron, you must have been out of town when I flamed the last "senior" member that was on his soapbox.

I`m sorry but you never seem to give simple straight forward answers to the easiest of questions. Furthermore for someone that has been in the business for so long, you should have figured out how to help people instead of either confusing them or trying to scare them with your technical crap.

My guess is that I`m the one that will say what`s on my mind, and the others on this forum just laugh at you in private :rolleyes:

Go back on vacation...

11-13-2001, 10:57 PM
you speak your mind my brother...and i gotta respect that...no matter whether i agree or disagree....steppin down from the box now...:D :p

YoSteve
11-13-2001, 11:55 PM
okay, simple formula guys: answer the IMMEDIATE question, THEN expand, then offer more question, then do cartwheels or whatever

1) answer the question (cause yes the person posted so you answer it, if you`re going to post)
2) expand all you want (beg different questions, bring up your own question whatever)

<span style=`color: red`>If you don`t at least answer the question (somewhat even) then why do you post?

I will copy and paste this everytime it happens ;)

Another thing about heat, look at 10 year old florida car, versus a 10 year old car on my block. See the thermal stress difference? not without looking at the rust difference, which is way more noticable :D

11-14-2001, 12:09 AM
are we talking that moderately warm water...say...65-70 degrees....used once a wk....for the winter...say its 4 mths to exagerate it...so lets say...between 12-16 washes will work well to remove crap but also damages...somewhat the paint/clear.....i mean....how much damage are we talking about...how long til the damge is apparent....5 yrs...7 yrs....how long do we all keep our cars on the average.....i dont think ill be washing my car with 80 F water...i mean...thats hot....i dont know where the "hot " water stuff came from....it started off as if we used warm water....to me this winter ill be using warm water to wash all that salt and crappola off...thats gotta be better than leaving it on....:bounce