PDA

View Full Version : After two polishing steps...

Pages : [1] 2

fishboy
11-11-2001, 08:09 PM
Which do you guys prefer??

I had some Eagle One Wet Tire Shine samples and dont really like it! Seems like you have to use A LOT to get some results.

Also, lexol vinylex contains silicone...I know people give a lot of props to it, but isnt that why we stay away from armour all??

Does 303 give any shine??

JTS

Don2000g
11-11-2001, 08:13 PM
Vinylex is water based and perfectly safe for use in the interior. This and 303 are two favorites of the board. No one has really said one negative thing about Vinylex or 303. The main difference between the two products is the shine factor. Vinylex is more shiny. 303 does indeed give a shine. It`s just that its more matte. You will notice a difference between no protectant and a pass of 303 on a certain area. Laters.

JasonC8301
11-11-2001, 08:16 PM
303 gives a flat black shine. Its a matte finish.

The Vinylex gives the tires a little more shine. A matte-medium gloss.

The Vinylex contains the good silicone, its PDMS. The Armour All stuff has the DMS silicone which is bad.

As an all round tire dressing, Vinylex. I like a little gloss. Durability is good a week and a half in dry weather.

In between 303 and Vinylex is Zaino Z-16. Also very durable.

For BMW Turanza tires, Meguiars Endurance. For Firestone passenger tires, Armour All Extreme Tire Shine (daily driver, new tires every 2 years.)

Jason

rmccall6
11-11-2001, 09:13 PM
303 adds some shine and color depth (makes tires become blacker). Vinex ofers some more shine (not a tom more) and more depth. I prefer 303 (slightly diluted with about 2-3 ounces of water per 16oz bottle), which provides a nice satin shine without changing the color too much. Vinlex is my favorite exterior drssing. Makes tires a deep black and adds just enough shine to get noticed withou looking fake or greasy. My detailing motto is that the car should look detailed without a trace, meaning the tires should look very clean and dressed, but not like thay have grease slathered on them. The paint finish should have a deep, wet, just waxed shine without chalky wax resudues around the trim. Both are great and offer the same durability, just what look do you want, Vinlex which has shine and depth, or 303 which has little less shine and lot less depth.

rstype
11-11-2001, 09:45 PM
Jason, here is what Ron said: "First Amor All is not a "silicone oil", but a polydimethalsilioxane resin and water."

<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JasonC8301 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>The Armour All stuff has the DMS silicone which is bad.
[/b]</blockquote>

offcenter
11-11-2001, 09:57 PM
Personally, I tried Vinylex and I don`t like it . Too much like Armour All in smell, slimeyness and viscosity. 303 is much better, IMHO, less slimey, less smelly but still low in viscosity(it runs and drips). You may think I`m nuts, but I really like Eagle One Protectant Lotion. I tried a free sample, it`s easy to use, looks like hand lotion, smells nice, not slimey at all and leaves a nice gloss. Because it`s a lotion, it`s easier to keep it from ending up on windows and other areas I don`t want it to be. When you apply 303 or Vinylex to an applicator or cloth, it just migrates too much for me and gets all over. For my upper dash, I use 303 cause I don`t want high gloss on a black dash. For the rest of the interior, EO Protectant Lotion. For tires, 303 doesn`t last too long, so I use either the EO Protectant Lotion or Meguiars Gel which easily lasts 2 weeks.;)

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-11-2001, 10:40 PM
and Meguiars endurance gel is great(for tires)....it lasts at least 2 wks(as rad said)....and the best part is you decide what kind of finish you want ...if you leave it on there totally its shiny...if you buff it off a little its more matte....really like that stuff.....:up

mx5
11-12-2001, 08:30 AM
According to this post I have learned Vinylex contains silicone, vinylex does not contain silicone, vinylex contains the good silicone not the bad silicone, Armor All contains bad silicone, Armor All does not contain silicone, Armor All contains polydimethalsilioxane resin. Can any experts verify these statements?

offcenter
11-12-2001, 09:45 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by waxman [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>According to this post I have learned Vinylex contains silicone, vinylex does not contain silicone, vinylex contains the good silicone not the bad silicone, Armor All contains bad silicone, Armor All does not contain silicone, Armor All contains polydimethalsilioxane resin. Can any experts verify these statements? [/b]</blockquote>
I am certainly not an expert but from using both Vinylex and Armor All, I believe they both have some form of silioxane. This is in the silicone family and silicone tends to migrate. By migrate I mean, if you put it on the dash, a film will end up on the windows. If you put it on the door panels, a film will end up on the side windows. I have verified this with my windows. Until the siloxane based product is removed from the panels you applied it to, it will continue to offgas and migrate to your windows. Ask any chemist about silicone migration and they will confirm this. Most companies that manufacture epoxies and silicones, keep the production of silicone in another building and when you enter the building where the silicone is manufactured, the floors are very slippery- migration. I could go on and on about silicone migration but the bottom line is, I don`t want that stuff on my vinyl and plastic. I hate the slippery feel, even when you put it on a cloth and it penetrates through the cloth to your hand, it`s an oily, slippery mess. A good lubricant, a mess for glass and other places you don`t want it. 303 protectant does not seem to have siloxane in it, at least it doesn`t exhibit that greasy feel. I found the lotion type protectants tend to stay where I put them and doesn`t leave a film my windows.

YoSteve
11-12-2001, 09:50 AM
Allow me to add :D

Black Magic Semi-Gloss Dashboard Protectant, found over the counter and contains "safe" PDMS as 303 does (along with UV protectant).

It works like 303 but for only $2.99 :) (apply a modest amount with a sponge).

jkochis
11-12-2001, 10:57 AM
Allow me to add to YoSteve`s post.

Yes, the BM Dash product does work well on the DASH. I have had very poor results using it on exterior trim or tires, maybe that`s why they market it as a dash product.

303 works well everywhere.

YoSteve
11-12-2001, 11:32 AM
I agree with what RH said, but I also think that one should use Klasse on their exterior plastic cause it lasts way longer (if they have it) and I currently don`t use anything on my tires :(

fishboy
11-12-2001, 04:39 PM
I dont know... sounds sketchy, Ill bet it is close to silicone. I guess Im goin w/ the 303...thanks.

Lemonxxs
11-12-2001, 05:01 PM
Wow! All these big chemical names gave my feeble brain a headache.

Maybe I need to sniff detailing stuff less.

Brad B
11-12-2001, 05:08 PM
Try the Eagle One "Concours Satin" tire dressing. For me, it`s the perfect level of gloss. Also try Zaino Tire dressing. Both excellent products.