PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Tires and Wheels

Pages : [1] 2

Scottwax
11-10-2001, 11:27 PM
I made a post about Formula113 wax in the main forum after being contacted by Michael (the owner, maybe?) wondering if I would be interested in a free sample. I had problems with the link he enclosed on the e-mail, so he just sent me the link to the main site, where I found the sample pack, only to realize shipping and handling was $8.00, not what I would consider to be free. Anyway, I guess he saw the post and sent me another e-mail ensuring me he would send me the product completely free of charge and apologizing for the misunderstanding.

I e-mailed him my address, and he told me to look for the product in about 10 days. I was expecting the small sample sizes I saw on the site (2 oz. size, if I remember correctly), but when the package arrived on Thursday (11/8), I was suprised to see a full sized bottle of the 113 wax, 22 oz size of BeadX (spray detailer), and a clay bar. Definately more than enough to give his product a fair test on a variety of customer`s cars--after trying it on mine, first.

I first tried the 113 wax on my car. Since my paint is in excellent shape and slick, there was no need to use the clay. I used the terry cloth pad that was enclosed, but only on my car. It seemed to load up with product too quickly and also waste it. Switching to foam hand applicators made application easier and less wasteful. The shine and reflectivity seem similar to Meguairs High Tech Yellow, but the gloss was noticably better-a very wet look. I went over my car with the BeadX to make sure no residue was left. I also used the wax on my black plastic mirrors, and it worked great-an incredible, streak free shine! A very good first impression.

I next used the products on a burgandy Range Rover (a 1996 HSE) which I have taken care of since it was new, usually waxing it with Meguiars every 3-4 months, and the water was still beading just prior to waxing, so it will be a good car to test the durability of the wax. Anyway, the results were similar to my car, good shine with an incredibly wet look. I used the clay on some water spots on the drivers side of the Rover, and while it worked fine, I had some trouble flattening it out-similar to Mother`s Clay Bar. Maybe it wasn`t a fair test, it was only 53 degrees. Maybe when it is warmer, the clay is more malleable. Hey, this is Texas, we can have 75 degree days deep into December!

Today, I used the 113 wax on a white Acura CL Type-S, a black Acura RSX Type-S and a black Porsche Boxster (sorry, not an S:( ) As I expected, both the black cars looked great-very wet and glossy, and the 113 wax worked well on clarifying the plastic rear window on the Boxster. What really suprised me was how well the white CL looked. White is so difficult to get a really glossy look, but the guy who owned it was extremely happy with the wet look of the paint.

So far, so good. The wax seems to be everything Michael said it would be-very easy to use, outstanding gloss, won`t dry white and leave residue everywhere, and a little goes a long way. Since it is a natural wax (carnuba based), obviously I am not expecting it to last like a synthetic wax-besides, most of my high end customers want their cars waxed often, regardless of wax durability. If the wax lasts as long as Meguiars High Tech Yellow (still beading after about 3 months on cars I regularly clean and control how they are washed), I will be pleased. I also like the fact I can use the wax in the direct sun. As a mobile detailer, that is very important to me. I always try to wax cars in the shade when possible, but some office complexes have no shade at all.

The BeadX is also very good, and leaves behind a slick surface after using it on a green Mercedes C280 that I washed. I had waxed it about 2 months ago, and the BeadX made the surface feel just waxed, like I would expect a quality QD to do.

As far as the clay goes, I just haven`t used it enough to really know. Seems fine, except for the stiffness of the bar.

The only real drawbacks are the fact that there are no local Dallas area distributers, so I have to mess with mail order, but at least they take credit cards. The price is also higher than Meguiars, especially the wax. I can get a gallon of Meguairs High Tech Yellow for about $28, and the 113 wax is $100 a gallon. I guess since it really doesn`t take a whole lot of wax to cover a car, it may not really impact my per car cost very much, and if, like a gallon of Meguiars, I can wax 300 or so cars, then the cost per car is only 33 cents anyway.

Anyway, I will continue to evaluate the product and post the results.

BTW, since I used the 113 wax on my car Thursday, I have had 3 people come up to me and tell me how good my car looks. Some guy today couldn`t believe my paint on my Accord was not brand new. :up

Scottwax
11-21-2001, 12:05 AM
Follow up:

I am still having great results with the wax, and both yesterday and today, I used it in the direct sun on black cars-on a Lincoln Continental and the other a Mercedes CL500. In both cases, it spread easily despite the sun-although it was only in the 60`s, and wiped off easily. No streaking and no smears, either.

The wax seems to have the best `wet look` effect on dark cars, although lighter colored cars also look good as well. It also goes well following Meguiars Hand Polish, and the combination made the Continental I did look extremely wet, and this is a car the customer has me wax every 2 weeks.

I also used it on a couple cars I wax only every few months, so I can evaluate the durability of the protection. I do know on my car, after two weeks, it is holding up real well--but it sure as hell better be, right? Anyway, when I washed it a week ago, I didn`t use the BeadX, just to see how slick it stayed. It rained all Thursday, and I had to drive in the rain, and on Friday when it dried out, my car still looked pretty clean, so I didn`t wash it until yesterday. Even with sap from a customer`s trees I had to park under on Saturday, it still was easy to wash, and I used the BeadX this time-and the paint felt just as slick as when I waxed it-pretty much what you would expect a good QD to do.

I am definately impressed with the results so far, but I have yet to really need to use the clay. Most of my business the past two weeks have been regulars whose cars never have a chance to get gritty enough for claying. I am using a foam pad for application instead of the terry cloth pad, mostly because it spreads easier and wastes less product.

imported_doug
11-22-2001, 02:32 AM
he sent me samples too, and I tried them on the black Porsche. The wax has cleaners in it. Look at that Black Boxster again under a spot light - I think you`ll see what I say = swirl marks in the exact pattern in which I applied it. I decided not to use it for this reason.

Scottwax
11-22-2001, 02:41 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by carguy [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>he sent me samples too, and I tried them on the black Porsche. The wax has cleaners in it. Look at that Black Boxster again under a spot light - I think you`ll see what I say = swirl marks in the exact pattern in which I applied it. I decided not to use it for this reason. [/b]</blockquote>
Did you use the terry cloth applicator? I didn`t like it at all. I`ve been using foam hand pads. I waxed a black Bentley Continental SC today, and there were no scratch marks at all. Believe me, when I am working on a $349,000 car, I take every care to make sure nothing goes wrong. I do wish they would offer a `pure` wax, though for cars that I wax often.

DETAILKING
11-22-2001, 11:05 AM
It is undisputed that the formula contains silicone oils and abrasives. I agree with carguy, while I never tried it myself, I read a bunch of reviews on the product. It might work wonders on an older paint finish, but I am not surprised of the swirling that mirrors application because of the abrasives. You might not see these because the product has very high filling capability. WAit till it wears off and report back...........

truvette
11-22-2001, 11:26 AM
Formula 113 might be a good product, but I find their sales method to be too pushy and aggressive. Hence, I do not use it.

Scottwax
11-22-2001, 12:11 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by DETAILKING [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>It is undisputed that the formula contains silicone oils and abrasives. I agree with carguy, while I never tried it myself, I read a bunch of reviews on the product. It might work wonders on an older paint finish, but I am not surprised of the swirling that mirrors application because of the abrasives. You might not see these because the product has very high filling capability. WAit till it wears off and report back........... [/b]</blockquote>
That is why I am evaluating it on cars I regularly wax. That way I can monitor the results very carefully. I think using a foam pad instead of the supplied terry cloth pad also helps-the pad they give tends to load up rather quickly.

As far as their sales methods...I haven`t had any problems with Michael being too pushy. I noticed the criticism when I first asked the board about Formula 113, and maybe he did also.

Anyway, any results, good or bad, I will have no problem in reporting.

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-22-2001, 04:57 PM
id like to see what happens the next time you see the cars....look forward to your posts then....thanks:up

Scottwax
11-23-2001, 01:44 AM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by FLONI [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>id like to see what happens the next time you see the cars....look forward to your posts then....thanks:up [/b]</blockquote>
My car still looks fine. I`ve washed it 3 times since I first used it, but I highly doubt that is enough to wear the wax away.

I do like the BeadX QD, very similar results to Final Inspection.

Still haven`t run across a gritty paint surface to really test the clay.

I still have all my Meguiars stuff... :D

Don2000g
11-25-2001, 12:40 PM
Good info Scott. I would never use that man`s products in a million years though. He is the biggest ahole who has ever visited this forum. He thoroughly insulted many members here including derrogatory sexual remarks, posting X-rated links on the forum, etc.... I wouldn`t give a damn penny to a man who conducts himself that way. Good info though. Laters

truvette
11-25-2001, 02:37 PM
Prisco is the worst salesman ever, I wonder how he even stays in business with his childish sales techniques.

Don2000g
11-26-2001, 01:38 AM
Yeah, that man should be ashamed of himself. He would often insult people here or post ridiculous posts and then laugh at them.

Scottwax
11-26-2001, 05:27 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Don2000g [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Yeah, that man should be ashamed of himself. He would often insult people here or post ridiculous posts and then laugh at them. [/b]</blockquote>
I guess I missed all that. :confused: I haven`t had any problems with him-all communication has been by e-mail, I don`t know the man personally, so I cannot really comment either way.

Maybe he will see this thread and comment on the amount of abrasives (or lack) in the wax. Maybe the formula has been changed, I don`t know, but I waxed a black Ford F-150 in the sun today (temps in the mid 70`s), and other than some light dusting problems (and the extemely low humidity might have something to do with it), I didn`t notice any scratches in the paint from applying the wax. This is a truck I only wax about every 3 months, but wash every two weeks, so it will be a good test to see if any scratches do show as the wax wears away.

BTW, here is a pic of my car after waxing with Formula 113:

imported_doug
11-26-2001, 09:48 PM
Scott - I did use the terry applicator. You`re right - it sucks. I appreciate your efforts and opinion, so please do keep us updated. The Bentley already had pretty good paint on it, and if its black I know you can see the effects clearly under the right light - so if you`ve found that this stuff still passes muster with you, I might try it again!

Scottwax
11-27-2001, 05:51 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by carguy [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Scott - I did use the terry applicator. You`re right - it sucks. I appreciate your efforts and opinion, so please do keep us updated. The Bentley already had pretty good paint on it, and if its black I know you can see the effects clearly under the right light - so if you`ve found that this stuff still passes muster with you, I might try it again! [/b]</blockquote>
www.thewaxtest.com is adding several more waxes to their test, and Formula113 is one of them. I am interested in seeing how it works for them and what they think of the terry cloth applicator-which I hate!

BTW, BeadX does not smear in the sun. :up