PDA

View Full Version : Spot Polishing

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bluedog
11-09-2001, 05:08 PM
i was just curious and wanted to make sure. i used to have water spots on my winodws for parking outdoors for about a month straight. i couldnt get it out with any of my old products. im pretty sure there was lime build up or somthing too and not just simple dried water. i know viniger (or amonia?) and water takes out water spots on paints but is this also the case for windows?

DETAILKING
11-09-2001, 05:57 PM
try that.......

imported_Intermezzo
11-09-2001, 06:18 PM
Zaino window polish works well too. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but it works.

JonB
11-09-2001, 07:20 PM
There`s a product called "Lime Away" or something like that available in supermarkets. It works wonders on shower heads.

H

Bluedog
11-09-2001, 09:24 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by bigboyhf [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>There`s a product called "Lime Away" or something like that available in supermarkets. It works wonders on shower heads.

H [/b]</blockquote>
funny for u to say that. i actually used that long time ago when i had this problem. its pretty scary to use caus i know its not good for ur paint... but the bad thing was that it didnt really work. it helped reduce it a TINY bit but did not come close to really fixing the problem. i guess viniger is the main cure here:D

Glozz
11-10-2001, 12:40 AM
Make a paste with it and use a clean sponge to work it in. Very quick and easy to use. I would first do what DetailKing suggested and use the vinigar. If you still have deposits then try Bon-Ami. Can get it at any grocery store or Wall-Mart, K-Mart ect...

imported_Intermezzo
11-10-2001, 02:07 AM
Luder,

I was able to get water-marks out with Zaino window polish that Lime-Away wouldn`t remove. The stuff works great.

JonB
11-10-2001, 09:51 AM
I will second Zaino Glass Polish. I tried Eagle One Scratch Remover, and a couple of different chemical solutions, but ZGP removed everything except chips and deep scratches. If you really want it to work great, use it with the PC and a white pad. It is way faster, less arm work and I think gives a better overall result.

H

Badmittn
10-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Glass polish sounds like the best route to take, I would worry about etching or scratching the glass with anything else.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I used DG Nu Glass on some nasty water spotted windows and "presto, chango" no more water spots

AppliedColors
10-16-2007, 06:30 PM
For serious water spot removal on glass, nothing is as strong as this:

Glass Polish (http://www.topoftheline.com/glasspolish.html)

Applied with 0000 steel wool then followed up with a good glass cleaner and clean towel.

danforz
10-16-2007, 06:40 PM
For serious water spot removal on glass, nothing is as strong as this:

Glass Polish (http://www.topoftheline.com/glasspolish.html)

Applied with 0000 steel wool then followed up with a good glass cleaner and clean towel.

Can`t I just put some on a MF bonnet and attach it to the machine?

bmw5541
04-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi guys.

I have a couple of questions for you all. My boss just got a new BMW 328xi wagon in dark blue. He lives in NYC and parks it in the garage of his apartment building. Last week he brought the car to the office, and the bottom rear quarter panel was covered in white paint. When the garage was parking the car for him, they must have scraped it against something.

He took an old can of TW compound and used a wet MF applicator to remove the mess the garage caused. He then proceeded to buff off the compound with a wash mitt. When I saw him doing this, I had to stop him. The good news is, all of the white paint has been removed, but the bad news is, he induced more swirls and marring than I can tell you about. I told him to order M105 and M205 from PAC (which he did), and I would fix it for him.

I will be doing this for him on Monday at the office. Since I will be working, I don`t have the time to do a full wash and detail. I will only be doing the damaged area.

My questions are:
Should I just clean the area, clay it, IPA and polish? I would also have to reseal after the polishing. Should I only use the sealant on the area that I have corrected?

I will post pics the results next week.

Thanks.

Tuck91
04-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Maybe just ONR and clay the area, then use M105/M205. M105 and M205 will remove any wax or paint sealant that may have been there, maybe just follow up with a cleaner wax afterwards and let it sit for a few minutes then remove it. Or use some sort of spray wax.

I am sure the M105 and M205 will work great, but you might have been able to save him some money and told him to buy Ultimate Compound and SwirlX at Walmart.

I wonder how well M105 will finish down by hand though? Are you going to bring your D.A with?

imported_Flash Gordon
04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Maybe just ONR and clay the area, then use M105/M205. M105 and M205 will remove any wax or paint sealant that may have been there, maybe just follow up with a cleaner wax afterwards and let it sit for a few minutes then remove it. Or use some sort of spray wax.

I am sure the M105 and M205 will work great, but you might have been able to save him some money and told him to buy Ultimate Compound and SwirlX at Walmart.

I wonder how well M105 will finish down by hand though? Are you going to bring your D.A with?

I agree ^ under the time restraints this is pretty much what I would do. I would start with the 205 though and see what happens. Remember, always start with the least aggressive first :doh:

You should go ahead and do a correction on the hood so the rest of the car won`t look right. This will ensure a future full detail/correction :spy:

Maybe your boss will throw the 105/205 in for tha juice(tip) :money:

Good Luck Barry....I`m sure you`ll do a fine job :soldier: