PDA

View Full Version : How To: Clean Wheels/Tires

Pages : [1] 2 3

JonB
11-08-2001, 06:35 PM
Here are a few pics of the mysterious haze on Klasse. This pic was taken immediately after wash with Pinnacle Shampoo and dried with Charisma and MF.

H

JonB
11-08-2001, 06:36 PM
Another view...

H

JonB
11-08-2001, 06:37 PM
Last swirls pic.. If I took my finger I could write my name in the swirls which means it is superficial and a coating of some sort. Wiping just moves it around and is very frustrating.

H

DETAILKING
11-08-2001, 06:41 PM
does it wipe off, or just move around the car. I noticed a similar type haze when I used....don`t kill me guys......IHG over zaino once. It looked ok till the day after when it seemed ilke there were spots I missed. It wiped off easy though.

I guess most of us are stumped. I want to say it might be the oils in the carnuba u are using, but some people have reported the same haze using SG alone Or maybe it was the car wash, or climatic conditions. Keep us posted.

JonB
11-08-2001, 06:41 PM
I tried in vain to get those swirls out with terry, MF, flannel and they were still there. I finally gave it a once over with the PC and an MF bonnet with a squirt of Crystal Mist. The swirls and haze are gone, but this is not good having to do a buff with the PC after every wash. I used a chenille mit. I am wondering now if it is the shampoo? I have seen it thought after EF Powerwash and Pinnacle shampoo. I measue fairly accurately and rinse the car thoroughly.

H

bigbobv
11-08-2001, 08:20 PM
There must be a theory of irrational deniability somewhere in a psychology textbook that explains why one would hold so fast to what they believe is true even though the evidence is screaming at them to the contrary.

Point is, I have been told, and my own experience bears out, that carnauba simply does not work well over a polymer/acrylic base. I do appreciate how many people on this board swear by a canauba topper, but there are too many that experience exactly what you see here. I have been told by some people I respect in the business that wax essentially slides around on the slick polymer/acrylic surface and, when light hits it at the right angle -- whammo -- you`ve got a streaker in your driveway.

Yes, the hazing effect certainly can be the hydroscopic (water-absorbing) tendendies of the wax, but it is more so evidence that the wax is just sitting there waiting for something to come along.

For me, there may be some marginal benefit in having the softer, deeper look of carnauba on top of my Klasse SG, but it is hardly worth it when more often I am always walking around the car finding new swirls and streaks.

The new truth/believe for me -- wax does not work consistently over the top of acrylic.

BradE
11-08-2001, 08:34 PM
bigboyhf,

Wow, that is odd. I had the exact same problem on my Lincoln the other day. I have Paste Glaz on mine and it did the same thing. I noticed it when I was drying. I was drying with an absorber, and then following up with a Charisma and saw the exact same thing. When I was done I QD the car with Crystal Mist and a Miracle Towel and the film was gone.

I doubt it was the shampoo. I used Meguiars gold class and had the samething happen. Maybe its something with the Pinnacle wax??

ALM
11-08-2001, 08:46 PM
I`ve got about 5 coats of KSG and about 4 coats of Blitz on my Integra and there is no hazing to be found anywhere, although I wonder if it has something do with having a clear coat (as my car does not).

I wonder if it has anything to do with the high oil content in the Pinnacle products that is forming the haze? Im curios, as im seriously considering taking the Souveran plunge.

DETAILKING
11-08-2001, 09:05 PM
keep them coming.........

YoSteve
11-08-2001, 10:09 PM
Saying that without a doubt you will get hazing with carnuba is not any more true then us questioning your abililty to not be able to get that haze off.

Something is going on, and many of us that use it, haven`t experienced what you have. Other`s have the hazing so if you have it you have it, and if you don`t you don`t. (it would be easier if we know what caused it, though) :)

Michael H
11-08-2001, 10:35 PM
I will have a crack at answering this one. It has happened to me. The conclusion I came too was that if you apply the Souveran when the humidity level is to high (eg after rain) it does not cure properly and you get this problem. I removed the wax and reapplied (humidity was low) with no issues.

One other possible explanation is that you need to give the Klasse a little time to cure before waxing, but I am fairly sure the first explanation is close to the mark.

I noticed you are from Florida, so your weather is not unlike Sydney where I live. So temperate humid climates is my bet on what is the cause.

JonB
11-08-2001, 11:19 PM
It is interesting though that the haze was not present prior to the wash. At least I don`t think it was. I applied the Souveran several weeks after applying the Klasse, and this is the 2nd coat. The humidity is way down in the last week or so, but I can`t say that for when I actually applied the Souveran. I had this on my Mustang when it had Souveran on, but has not yet occurred since applying Blitz. Just trying to throw out the facts that maybe others can match to lead us to the cause... For now, the PC is the easiest cure.

H

Michael H
11-09-2001, 12:16 AM
The original coat of Souveran goes on fine, the problem only seems to arise after you wash it the first time. It was humid when I had the problem, but in low humidity I do not seem to get the problem. Pinnacle Paste Glaz does not seem to have the same problem, it may be due to the higher carnuaba content in Souveran.

rstype
11-09-2001, 12:20 AM
Looks just like the smearing I had when I first used OGSO (One Grand Show-Off Quick Detailer.) Never saw that again after that time though...

Did wiping it off with a damp MT work?

imported_Intermezzo
11-09-2001, 01:08 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Nick [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>There must be a theory of irrational deniability somewhere in a psychology textbook that explains why one would hold so fast to what they believe is true even though the evidence is screaming at them to the contrary.

Point is, I have been told, and my own experience bears out, that carnauba simply does not work well over a polymer/acrylic base. I do appreciate how many people on this board swear by a canauba topper, but there are too many that experience exactly what you see here. I have been told by some people I respect in the business that wax essentially slides around on the slick polymer/acrylic surface and, when light hits it at the right angle -- whammo -- you`ve got a streaker in your driveway.

Yes, the hazing effect certainly can be the hydroscopic (water-absorbing) tendendies of the wax, but it is more so evidence that the wax is just sitting there waiting for something to come along.

For me, there may be some marginal benefit in having the softer, deeper look of carnauba on top of my Klasse SG, but it is hardly worth it when more often I am always walking around the car finding new swirls and streaks.

The new truth/believe for me -- wax does not work consistently over the top of acrylic. [/b]</blockquote>
Nick,

Very well written post.....but I`m not sure I agree with you. Although I didn`t see any in this thread yet, there are some people (in a previous thread) who report this hazing even without a carnauba topper.