PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Dremeling?

Pages : [1] 2

neomatrix
11-07-2001, 08:44 PM
I have researched this topic for a while but I still have questions on what`s available out there. I have the following products in mind but need your input on the pros and cons. I need your input on how easy to use.

1.) Mothers

2.) 3M - where do you get this anyway?

3.) Pinnacle

4.) Zaino

5.) did I miss another brand...Magic clay???

Thanks again.

Josiah
11-07-2001, 09:11 PM
I`ve been researching the Clay Bar options, and I finally settled on Mother`s. It got the best reviews from people on autopia, overall. I heard Magic Clay is good... I got Mother`s in the little "kit" for about $20, with their nifty little wax and the detail spray, which, although it doesn`t say anywhere, I assume is for lub.

imported_Brad
11-07-2001, 09:11 PM
1.) Mothers ...good value, low residue, medium resistance, works well.

2.) 3M...works well, a little pricier, low residue.

3.) Pinnacle...smooth, pliable, low residue, easy to rub, pricey.

4.) Zaino..rubbery consistancy, works very well, no residue, pricey, my favorite.

You can`t go wrong with any of these.

:up

Josiah
11-07-2001, 09:16 PM
So they are all pricey except Mother`s? Maybe <em class=`bbc`>that`s[/i] why I went with Mother`s clay. :D

Josiah

pingiii
11-07-2001, 09:25 PM
As for 3M clay, try their website, www.3M.com.

I have only used 2 of these brands of clay. Clay Magic is very good, and I`m presently using Pinnacle Poly Clay. Also very good.

Nothing could be easier to use, than clay. If you get the lubricant, just spray on a liberal coat, take a flat piece of clay, and rub in a bumper to bumper manner covering several square feet at a time. You will feel how the surface will get very slippery as the surface is cleansed of any surface debris. When you are satisfied, just wipe the finish off, and move to the next area or panel.

Keep kneading and turning your clay to keep it clean. We don`t want any scratches. When it`s dirty, discard it. You should get several cars out of a piece.

Some clay comes in 1 chunk, and some like Pinnacle give you 3 small bars. Just keep it clean.

Some folks use a liberal mix of auto shampoo and water, or QD lubricant, as the medium instead of the regular clay lube. Some folks even clay as they wash their vehicle. All of the above are your choices. You will find a system that works for you.

When your done, give your vehicle a good wash, and your ready to move on. I think once or twice a year is sufficient to clay your finish. I do mine in the spring, and the fall. Again the choice is up to you.

I`m sure I`ve forgotten several tips, but other members will help you out.

Welcome to the Forum. It`s the best place on the web to get that super shine on your vehicle. Enjoy!

rmccall6
11-07-2001, 09:47 PM
If you use QD (prefered method) as your lube, i dont see why you should wash afterwards, am i missing something?..?...

TortoiseAWD
11-07-2001, 09:53 PM
I recently picked up a Clay Magic bar (blue), and have also used Zaino and Meguair`s. My experience with the Meguair`s is much like many other posters who`ve tried it: much smearing and frustration. I gave up after one panel.

I liked the Zaino clay, but I think I prefer the Clay Magic. It`s more malleable and "tackier" than the Zaino . . . it glides on paint effortlessly with QD as lube (I used Final Inspection), but the side that you`re touching sticks to and forms to your fingers much more so that the stiffer Zaino clay. I felt much more confident that I wasn`t going to drop the Clay Magic bar because of this stickiness (you can pull away from the paint and it stays attached to your hand, but will not stick or smear on the paint with lube). Maybe "droppage" isn`t a big concern for you more-coordinated detailers, but for a klutz like me, it`s something to worry about . . . clay ain`t cheap! Also, the CM bar was easier to fold and re-form (imo) than the Z bar.

Overall, though, I`ve had excellent luck with both CM and the Z clays, and would recommend either.

Tort

pingiii
11-07-2001, 10:10 PM
Brad,

No Brad, you didn`t miss anything. My thinking is to remove the excess of any lubriciant. Whether it`s a soap film, clay lube, or excess QD when your going to put just SG on your finish.

Didn`t mean to confuse anyone, it`s just that I would wash my vehicle, no matter what I was going to put on my vehicle. With the exception of AIO, PPCL, SMR or any other cleaner etc.

Maybe that`s one of the advantages of claying while you wash, you can go back over the finish with your shampoo, and rinse, and your done. Again, to err on the safe side, I would give it a quick wash, just my method. Enjoy!

DETAILKING
11-07-2001, 11:42 PM
I like clay magic, mothers, and zaino. Meguires is not so hot........

bigbobv
11-08-2001, 12:50 AM
I got the Mother`s clay bar and was surprised by the small size. Question -- do I use it "as is" or should I stretch it a bit so it better fits my hand?

Thanks

ISLANDSBEST
11-08-2001, 01:06 AM
I clay using car shampoo as the lube (Z7 in my case, because I use Zaino).

I think one possible advantage of using a shampoo as a lube is that the car is getting quite a detailed "washing" as you are claying. The shampoo not only lubricates, it supplies cleaning power, helps with any film, etc. Any residue is mixed, to a greater or lesser extent, with shampoo, so should wash off more easily.

No scientific experiments done, just a theory. But, the results seem good.

neomatrix
11-08-2001, 11:52 AM
Thanks again for all your input. I have several cars that I want to clay. I have checked the sizes of these products and I found the following info:

1.) Pinnacle Poly Clay Kit - 3 bars of 2oz each $39.95 or $29.95 for the Clay only at CMA

2.) Zaino Z-18 - 1 bar 4 oz $16.95

3.) Mothers Kit - 1 bar 2.82 oz $15 @ Checkers (local) or 3 2.82 oz bars for $22.49 (direct)

4.) Clay Magic Spray & Clay - 1 bar 3.5 oz ($14.95) @ clay-magic.com

5.) 3M - can`t find any info even on 3M site ( any links???)

If one is interested in just the clay bar ( I already have FI for lubrication ), then Mother`s claybar is the cheapest hands down per ounce ( about $2.65 per oz for the 3-bar package). Everyone else is over $4 per oz. Of course, shipping costs was not included in the calculation. With this info on hand, how much does one really need to clay 3 cars? If it is not much, then Zaino seems attractive and does not look too pricey.

Cybercowboy
11-08-2001, 11:56 AM
You get 2 bars for the price you mention. It works out to around $8.50 per bar. Of course you have to pay $6 in shipping, but you can order some other stuff for the same shipping cost to dilute the impact.

neomatrix
11-08-2001, 12:13 PM
Is it 2 bars of 2oz size or 2 bars of 4oz?

Cybercowboy
11-08-2001, 12:18 PM
That`s what my wife tells me anyway.

The Zaino bars are the 2oz variety, and are nearly identical in appearance to the Mother`s clay bars.