PDA

View Full Version : How to re-finish alloy wheels

Pages : [1] 2

ISLANDSBEST
11-07-2001, 01:39 AM
I am trying to determine approaches that will further the building up of coats.

I have about ten coats of Z on the car. I applied an 11th coat on Sunday -- Z5 on the horizontal surfaces and Z2 on the verticles.

Put the car cover on and did not start or move the car until today. Took the cover off at noon today, then let it bake in the sun for a half-hour (I live in Los Angeles). Then, I removed the Z. It was, of course, pretty dry!!

Z normally comes off very, very easily. In this case, some patches required two or three strokes, and often only the part of the towel right under my hand removed the Z -- no big deal -- because, even with drying for two days and then sun baking, no elbow grease was required to remove it. It seems I really got a layer on the car.

I will let it cure for another two-three days before Z6, as a further experiment.

Anyone done any experiments or different approaches with Z application or procedures (intended or not)? What were the results?

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-07-2001, 08:06 AM
mad scientist dood..:D ....i definitely like it when i put the Z6 on at least 24 hrs after the Z2/5....it just feels smoother and looks great then if i put it on right after.......another thing i did was to put like 5 Z2`s on....then went back to the Z1/Z5 for 1 cycle...i love that Z5..i think it really fills in alot of stuff on the Z2(swirls etc...)im not saying it fixes paint...but for marks in the Zaino layers...i love it...the car sparkles.....you should start working on another Anthrax vaccine...:D

mx5
11-07-2001, 08:38 AM
Wheres the Zaino FX? 24 hour cure time? :(

edgewise
11-07-2001, 09:39 AM
Waxing the wax on top of the wax, of the wax...new levels of obsessive behavior! (Scribbles notes down in Psych book) :)

Bluedog
11-07-2001, 02:58 PM
im sorry, im sure its been discussed before but i forgot. whats the best applicator for the Z6? foam, terry towel, terry pad? i keep getting the feeling that the z6 will be abosrbed by the foam...?

11-07-2001, 03:04 PM
my favorite Mf towel...miracle towel...im pretty sure you should treat the Z6 like a quik detailer...dont forget how concentrated that sucker is...like 1 squirt per panel...maybe 2 on the hood....set the spray to the lowest it will go without closing it all the way....i love Z6...the way it makes the paint feel...as your doing it...you can feel it gliding easier,,,and easier.....so smooth...i got goosebumps......get a life floni...........:D

Bluedog
11-07-2001, 03:17 PM
wont a MF towel just suck up all the Z6?

Lemonxxs
11-07-2001, 03:22 PM
No NG. you can either spray Z6 on the finish or the MT. Wipe flip and buff dry.

I use two MT`s. One for Z6 application and one for drying/buffing.

Kinda fun QDing a car I think. Instant results for my feeble little peanut brain.

Bluedog
11-07-2001, 03:33 PM
cool, thanks for the cinfirmation!:D

ISLANDSBEST
11-08-2001, 02:01 AM
FLONI -- thanks for the "mad scientist" remark. I like it. I`d like to see a lot of us trying different things. Contrary to some recent remarks, we are not wedded to some orthodoxy, where we will not try new things. The way we got hear <em class=`bbc`>was[/i] by trying new things.

Guess -- I also use the two towel Z6 method.

Here is an update on my "dry for 2 days then sun bake" experiment. I am finding small patches where I did not get the Z off. No big deal, comes off with three or four mild rubs.

Subjective observations: it seems the "layer of glass on the paint" appearance has gotten noticibly deeper. I then used the Z6. The "layer of glass" effect increased dramatically.

My tentative conclusion (not based on comparative testing, which really would be needed for a firm conclusion) is that letting the Z cure on the paint for two days before removing it can result in a deeper gloss. Letting the Z cure another day before using Z6 seems to result in removing less Z, with less smearing.

11-08-2001, 08:31 AM
the longest ive had some Zaino on my car is about 7 hrs...it was dry in about 1 hr but i had to run out and get some other stuff done first....it came off just as easy after 7 as after 1....unfortunately...living here i cant repeat your experiment til next spring/summer...all the dew that collects on the car in the other seasons makes getting the Z off a PITA....but good job Frankenstein...:up

andrew43
11-08-2001, 09:41 AM
A couple of things concern me about this, especially if you do not have a car cover and just store the car in the garage. Dust will settle on the finish, and when removing the baked on zaino, may create scratches. Also, if you have to rub harder than normal to remove the zaino, you might scratch as well. Other than that, sounds good. I might have to try it but I dont have a car cover... :(

ISLANDSBEST
11-08-2001, 11:51 PM
Yell -- good thinking. Yes, the car must be covered or garaged. I would think a garage alone would be OK, as long as you lightly dusted before rubbing out the Z.

Update: I Z6ed today. The gloss was very deep.

I think this technique -- applying the Z2 or Z5 -- then letting it cure for a couple days, and sun baking it, produces a coat which seems deeper than the standard approach. A side by side comparison (do one half of the car in the regular manner, the other half using the "two day bake" approach) and a gloss meter would be required to reach a scientific conclusion. But, it looks good!

rstype
11-09-2001, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the experiment darbh. Did the Zaino residue turn chalky or powdery after the few days, or did it stay like you applied it a few minutes ago?

Once again, great job! :up

imported_Intermezzo
11-10-2001, 02:23 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Ng Luder [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>im sorry, im sure its been discussed before but i forgot. whats the best applicator for the Z6? foam, terry towel, terry pad? i keep getting the feeling that the z6 will be abosrbed by the foam...? [/b]</blockquote>
NG, I find that using DavidB`s method of QDing (minus the first step of washing the entire car down with a damp MF) works very well right after a wash 6 hrs after applying a coat of Z. It ensures against wasting the product and also allows for a more even distribution of Z-6 or any other QD for that matter. You can find it in the detailing tips section.

I only use his method on a clean car though. I tried doing it on a car right after a light rain and my mind was paralyzed with thoughts of swirling up the paint.