PDA

View Full Version : Jack was on Sirius radio!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lemonxxs
11-06-2001, 03:20 PM
I recently ordered 3M SMR for light cars from CMA to remove Swirls on the Girl Friends white Blazer. This after I tried some other less harsher methods to remove swirls.

Basically if it does not get them swirls out I am banned from buying any other Swirl removers! :( I told her if it gets rid of some of the swirls but not completely then I am buying a PC with all the goodies! :) Or Santa could. :D

What a face I received. Whooooooooa!

Does anyone else get a strange look from the Significant Other when the UPS person shows up? I mean Sally (The UPS driver) is a great lady and she always wonders whats in all the packages.

I wonder if the GF thinks I am flirting with her? :D

Oh well SMR better work!

BTW gonna put Klasse system on her blazer to try it out with the Sonus Spritz.

What can I buy next??????:bounce

BradE
11-06-2001, 03:25 PM
SMR is not very strong for removing swirls. If they are more than very light, and I mean very light, chances are SMR will not remove them. :( 3M Finesse It 2 Finishing Material is much better for removing up to meduim swirls. Who`s knows, you might get away with it, you can hide swirls very easy on white. :)

imported_Intermezzo
11-06-2001, 03:42 PM
My wife keeps a mental inventory of all detailing products I have and when I told her about Blackfire coming out, she responded with a, "don`t even THINK about buying that stuff until you`re finished with all the Klasse" type of answer. This is outrageous because it`ll take me at least a whole year to finish the SG bottle. Compound that with the fact that I don`t even use Klasse anymore and I figure I won`t ever get to try Blackfire. Oh well, I`m sure a nice spending spree here and there for her would work wonders for my case.

vettefan67
11-06-2001, 03:45 PM
Multiple uses of SMR would be comparable to a single use of FI-2, correct? The Finesse-It 2 just takes more off at once whereas the SMR takes minute portions off each time. Am I right here?

edgewise
11-06-2001, 03:52 PM
Women never learn, well some do (my wife did, )...never ever,ever place your relationship between a man and his (care of, operation of) Toys.

imported_Intermezzo
11-06-2001, 04:06 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Multiple uses of SMR would be comparable to a single use of FI-2, correct? The Finesse-It 2 just takes more off at once whereas the SMR takes minute portions off each time. Am I right here? [/b]</blockquote>
That sounds about right....but then again, I haven`t used either of them yet so I shouldn`t really say anything. One difference in the descriptions I`ve read of both is that SMR is called a Glaze by 3M and carecareonline says that it contains some fillers...however most people`s experiences here would indicate otherwise.

vettefan67
11-06-2001, 04:11 PM
3M SMR does have a small filler content, but its main functionality is as a very light abrasive. It isn`t a glaze by the definition of a glaze as being a non abrasive "makeup", which is essentially what a true glaze is.

1.8MillionMiler
11-06-2001, 04:50 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by puterbum [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Multiple uses of SMR would be comparable to a single use of FI-2, correct? The Finesse-It 2 just takes more off at once whereas the SMR takes minute portions off each time. Am I right here? [/b]</blockquote>
Actually, there is pretty good difference between the sizes of scratches/swirls FI2 & SMR will remove IMO. I am currently in the process of wet sanding my fresh clear coat down and bring it to a shine section by section so I am getting a lot of experiment time down with the different polishes, rubbing compounds, glazes, cleaners and methods. Every bit of it is by hand and no matter how much (over 3 hours on a rear quarter panel) I went over some areas with SMR it would not remove what FI2 or Perfect it 2 Rubbing compound will. One really nice cleaner that I have heard little about that I found was Medallion Paint Cleaner by Meguires. Not as abrasive as the rubbing compounds but does a amazing job on the deep imperfections.

vettefan67
11-06-2001, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the info jdk906s. Feel free to share any more of this experience you are getting right now;)

imported_Intermezzo
11-06-2001, 05:20 PM
JDK906s:

Did the FI-2 leave a haze?

YoSteve
11-06-2001, 05:35 PM
And while I am significant otherless :( <em class=`bbc`>(Driver Found Passenger Wanted) :) [/i] I get some beef from coworkers (not so much friends) that keep track of my "adventures" especially this pic! (`http://autopia-carport.com/forum/attachment.php3?s=&postid=39743`)

But the rents aren`t so freaked out because they see me learning about running a biz. GMN were you always into detailing, as in, did you girlfriend know this about you before you first started going out? Anyone I meet is going to find out real quick :D

Lemonxxs
11-06-2001, 06:28 PM
I always had a clean car but she never knew how I did it. I kept that side of my personality hidden.

She is getting into it but she just thinks I rub my trucks fenders more then her fender! If you know what I mean!

This weekend we will wash our trucks together as I show her more techniques for the perfect finish.

I guess Detailing is a lot like golf you can never be perfect! But it is fun trying!

bmerjorge21
11-06-2001, 07:25 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Gimp [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`> And, for the record: I`m <em class=`bbc`>not cheap.[/i] I believe in value. I don`t mind at all paying what something is worth or buying the best as long as I`m pretty certain that I`ve gotten the most <em class=`bbc`>value[/i] out of my buck, that I didn`t spend the money foolishly, and that I needed to make the purchase . <span style=`font-size: 8px;`>(Examples: I use synthetic motor oil, tranny fluid, gear oil, and wheel bearing grease <em class=`bbc`>AND[/i] I use double-platinum plugs because I think that I`ll get the best use, most protection, etc.) [/b]</blockquote>I`m the same way, but what are double platinum plugs? Are talking about those Bosch +4 things?

bobdec
11-06-2001, 07:34 PM

Does anyone else get a strange look from the Significant Other when the UPS person shows up? I mean Sally (The UPS driver) is a great lady and she always wonders whats in all the packages.</blockquote>

Start having packages sent to the office. It`s what my Dad used to call "Tippy-Toe" shopping. After 52 years of marriage, he did learn a few tricks to pass on.

1.8MillionMiler
11-06-2001, 08:16 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Intermezzo330I [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>JDK906s:

Did the FI-2 leave a haze? [/b]</blockquote>
Yes, but only if you apply medium to heavy pressure. Or at least that was my experience as limitied as it was this weekend with FI-2. It should be followed up with SMR and then a glaze if necessary then wax I suppose. I found that the Medallion cleaner was abrasive enough for all but the worst wet sanding marks, but then again I wet sanded with 1200, and followed up with 2000 grit and then 2500 grit, then Medallion which would still leave a slight haze and touch up any deep scratches with the rubbing compound then medallion again. After I got it to a even shine with slight haze the SMR cleaned it all up. I`m still working on the best way of getting all of the stray scratches out that SMR won`t get, and then 3M Imperial Glaze. It will be a while until the paint has cured enough to wax, but I`ll post pictures I have taken already when I get them developed of close ups of it`s amazing mirror effect.

Happy detailing,

Joseph Kuster
-Just like life, it`s all in the details