PDA

View Full Version : What will remove BFWD?

Pages : [1] 2

DocYahoo
11-05-2001, 02:07 PM
:mad: I have a question for all of you out here. I have a 01 PT Cruiser and had the Chrysler Bra on my hood for about 2 weeks. Well I took it off this weekend and to my surprise I have 6 areas of a light white haze (about the size of a quarter each) where the Bra covered the hood. I have tried Zaino and another wax but the haze (slight milky discoloration) is not being touched by my efforts. It appears the discoloration is under the clear coat. Has anybody encountered this and is there any resoultion??? I thought I read once direct sunlight might remove this any truth to that??? Any help would be sincerely appreciated !!!!!!!

dengelson
11-05-2001, 02:17 PM
Just this weekend I undertook a similar problem on a BMW motorcycle. The tankbag that rests on top of the gas tank had created some light scratches and rub marks on the painted finish. I started with 3M`s Finnesse It II (`http://www21.3m.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry17c?sp=10007&cid=0&sid=28181&pn=16&pid=37836&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0`) rubbing compound which is mild for a compound. I rubbed it back and forth quickly in one direction applying medium to hard pressure. After one coat of the FI II I used one coat of 3M`s Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Colors.

The scratches are gone! This combo worked great so I covered it up with a coat of wax.

DETAILKING
11-05-2001, 02:27 PM
Bra`s actually do more damage than good. The only reason I would use one would be for:

1. If I had a car that was in good shape and the front end was a mess with stone chips. I would use one to hide the chips and add some style to the car till I got the front end repainted.

2. On a newer car with flawless paint - if you feel you NEED one, only use it on long highway trips. Wash the car before it goes on, and when you arrive at your destination, take it off, and wash the front end down again. Always keep plenty of wax on the car at all times.

-----------------------------

Bra`s tend to trap dirt and moisture. Wind from driving will move it around on the paint and actually create miro mars in the clear coat. This is the cloudiness you see. You need to use an abrasive product (try 3M SMR first) to remove this marring in your clear coat. Once this is done, apply your favorite wax or sealant. If you feel you need a bra, consider installing an XPEL CLEAR bra, or similar.

forrest@mothers
11-05-2001, 03:30 PM
Numerous folks on the PT sites have had problems with white spots in paint, particularly the Inferno Red (which is a 3 stage paint, if that makes a difference).

Consensus seems to be that the spots you described are moisture under the top layer, though it makes no sense to me.

Those who have went back to the dealer with this problem had their spots removed by use of a hair dryer/heat source. I`d suggest at least 12 " away from the paint (and possibly low setting) so it doesn`t get the paint too hot.

But, there is the chance they could be abrade spots from the bra rubbing on the paint at speed.

You might try the dealer, and ask their opinion, or try ther hair dryer trick.

I`ve never experienced it with my Inferno Red PT, but others have.

Langley Interior Car Kare
11-05-2001, 03:52 PM
but i dont have a bra on my car...never did...let me ask you...Aeast....what kind of advice if any...on the Cruiser board...or from the dealer(yeah right!)..did u get about maintaining a bra....you say it was on for 2 wks....does that mean...24 hrs a day...for 14 days in a row...i never understood how that works...using it for the long trips like DK said makes sense,,,,i admit they look cool on some cars....yours being one of them.....but i think if i had one...i would have ot off so often for Quik detailing..etc...that it would drive me nuts.....can u post some pics?...

ZL1Mark
04-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Will straight 91% IPA or mineral spirits do the job? I need to completely remove it, but I don`t need to clay or polish. FWIW, I will be re-applying BFWD, but I have a different plan of attack this time. :)

Old Pirate
04-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Claying should do it, I think the IPA won`t remove it for you.:wizard:

ZL1Mark
04-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Claying should do it, I think the IPA won`t remove it for you.:wizard:

:(

I just clayed my car not too long ago, don`t feel like doing it again!

Old Pirate
04-12-2010, 08:06 PM
It only takes 15-20 mins............:wizard:

Tuck91
04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Apply a paint cleaner by hand. Probably faster and more effective than claying.

Or just wash with a combo of APC, glass cleaner and dish soap.

Leadfootluke
04-12-2010, 09:05 PM
My first though was a diluted degreaser/APC that is safe on paint, or IPA x a few wipedowns.

nosbusa1700
04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
I normally use CG`s Citrus wash & clear, along with P21S GEPC to remove sealants and carnauba`s.

imported_Roadrunner
04-13-2010, 07:47 AM
It only takes 15-20 mins............:wizard:

I`m with Angelo... I`d clay it. Half hour, tops and you`re done.

Todd@RUPES
04-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Dawn will not stripe BFWD off, at least not one wash (unless you agitated the soap and let it dwell for a long time).

91% alcohol will remove it fairly quickly (but again let it dwell).

imported_Flash Gordon
04-13-2010, 04:17 PM
12 Months of Desert Heat may put a dent in it :rockon: