PDA

View Full Version : pleather care??

bo9877
11-03-2001, 12:35 PM
Hi everyone,

First I`d like to say that your everyday advice on car washing and detailing has been invaluable (cotton towels, 2 bucket method, etc.). Without it and living in an apartment complex like I do, my car would look much worse than it does. Not that it looks horrible to the layperson, but sometimes I can`t bear to look at it in direct sunlight!

Anyway, the point of my message. My car, a black pearl 2000 Civic Si, has a lot of swirl marks from a dealer "detailing" (after I asked them not to, but that`s another story) plus has some scratches from inconsiderate neighbors as well as water spots. I have about 3 coats of Z5 and 2 of Z2 on there, but it`s not cutting it anymore. I had considered, after readimg many of the posts on here, using 3M stuff (PI or FI) to remove the swirls et. al. The problem is that I don`t have the facilities (a garage) or the equipment (rotary buffer) to do this in a timely manner. From what I`ve read on here, doing the job by hand application takes an extremely long time to get results similar to those of a machine application. Add to that the time needed for a decent Zaino application and you have a very daunting task. Honestly, I can`t wait for the day when I can buy a house with a nice garage for detailing!

I was wondering if there`s anybody on here from the Atlanta area who would be willing to help me remove these swirls etc. from my car. If you charge for your services, that`s no problem. If you`d help out for the pure love of detailing, that`s cool too!:D Lunch is on me. Alternatively, if anyone knows of an actual detail shop that would do a good job and not charge me out the @$#! for it, that would work too.

Thanks a bunch everyone and I hope someone will be able to help me out even more.

Bo

bo9877
11-03-2001, 03:06 PM
Anyone por favor?

imported_SunDaze
04-09-2010, 07:22 AM
My car is a 2010 Ford Taurus with leather seats that is decsribed as:
"Seats are leather with "Miko Suede" inserts made from recycled plastic soda bottles"
Any idea how to care for this??
I shot ford a email and I am waitng for a response.......
Just thought somebody here might have some experience.

Thanks

Dave

imported_Roadrunner
04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Is there any info in the owner`s manual? Ford should have some sort of a customer service website, or hotline to call? That`s where I`d start.

imported_Flash Gordon
04-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Pleather is a very durable product. You can clean it with just about any kinda All Purpose Cleaner Da Rules!

As for what to dress it with....Well, I wouldn`t put anything on it, but thats just me. You could apply a vinyl/leather conditioner though if thats what you like :Snowman:

Soda pop bottles huh....I didn`t know that. Thanks for the lesson :Car smiley:

imported_SunDaze
04-09-2010, 07:53 PM
So I got a reply from ford......
Follow page blah blah blah of the owners manual and use the recommended Motorcraft leather product.....blah blah blah....I`m not buying it....
I found a company overseas that is called Dinamica miko....and exchange emails....
http://www.dinamicamiko.com/miko/gamma-prodotti/auto
End results is they supply Ford with the material for the seats and here is what they recommend.

MAINTENANCE
Ordinary maintenance
In order to preserve the beauty of Dinamica? it is
recommended that regular cleaning is carried out.
Don`t rub too vigorously, and we don`t recommend using
steam machines.

Daily Cleaning
It is sufficient to dust Dinamica? using a soft brush, a dry
cloth, or a vacuum cleaner.

Weekly Cleaning
After having dusted Dinamica?, run a slightly moistened
white cotton cloth over it. Avoid the use of printed absorbent
cloths/papers as they can release ink onto the material.

Yearly Cleaning
Dust the material with care; moisten a soft cloth or a sponge
in clean water, wring it thoroughly and run it over the whole
Dinamica? material, making sure not to wet it excessively;
rinse the cloth or sponge and repeat as necessary. Leave to
dry (overnight).
Once dried, in order to restore the material, brush it
delicately with a soft bristle brush.

They also included details for specific stains.

Dave

Old Pirate
04-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks Dave for the information............:wizard:

imported_Flash Gordon
04-09-2010, 09:21 PM
So I got a reply from ford......
Follow page blah blah blah of the owners manual and use the recommended Motorcraft leather product.....blah blah blah....I`m not buying it....
I found a company overseas that is called Dinamica miko....and exchange emails....
http://www.dinamicamiko.com/miko/gamma-prodotti/auto
End results is they supply Ford with the material for the seats and here is what they recommend.

They also included details for specific stains.

Dave

I`m confused

Is this material you speak of a velour type material or a leather/vinyl material

Either way, I don`t see how using a damp wash cloth & wisk broom is going to be sufficent.

This ppl would have a heart attack if they could see some of the interiors I have to deal with.

A damp wash cloth and wisk broom....LOL :redface:

I have found on more then 1 occasion were the manufacture hasn`t a clue how to use there on product. Rain-X and Lexol come to mind right off the top of my head :2 cents:

imported_SunDaze
04-10-2010, 08:15 AM
I have sent all of the info to Angelo for help....Thanks

Ford describes the seats as leather with a suede insert.

http://www.latitude38.org/sundaze/Ford-seats.jpg

The tan in for photo is the suede material. Mine is all black.
A review I read about the car mentioned "Seats are leather with "Miko Suede" inserts made from recycled plastic soda bottles"

This is when I started to look at how to care for them.....because with kids...who knows what I`ll be dealing with soon...

imported_Flash Gordon
04-10-2010, 01:59 PM
I have sent all of the info to Angelo for help....Thanks

Ford describes the seats as leather with a suede insert.

http://www.latitude38.org/sundaze/Ford-seats.jpg

The tan in for photo is the suede material. Mine is all black.
A review I read about the car mentioned "Seats are leather with "Miko Suede" inserts made from recycled plastic soda bottles"

This is when I started to look at how to care for them.....because with kids...who knows what I`ll be dealing with soon...

Your in good hands with Angelo`s guidance :wizard: