PDA

View Full Version : need advice on polish

Pages : [1] 2

THERUSE
11-02-2001, 09:56 PM
hi everybody,

i am considering klasse for my parents cars, my question is on how slick is klasse, compared to zaino, which i use on my car, and can`t stop using.:D

i am not trying to start klasse/zaino flame:eek: Again. this is just a newbie question.

for example my moms car (99 town & country), get a lot of junk stuck to the pain bellow the moding on the side of the car, would klasse work as a good barrier for protection on this part, so i won`t have to clay every 6 months? let`s say i apply coat of sg every 2 months. the car is garaged and taken care of well.

any help is appreciated

thanks,

Jngrbrdman
11-02-2001, 10:22 PM
Klasse is smooth like a polished rock. I don`t have anything to compare Klasse too but it is way smoother than anything I have ever used.

rstype
11-02-2001, 10:41 PM
Klasse feels very slick, but a different kind of slick as Zaino or Pinnacle. Zaino feels like a very hard, lubricated surface, wheras Klasse is just like how Jngrbrdman describes it... polished rock. It isn`t as "soft" and pleasing to the fingers as Pinnacle.

imported_Intermezzo
11-03-2001, 03:39 AM
In my experience, Zaino is a lot slicker, but keep in mind that results vary from person to person and technique is more important than which product you use. Also, the level of protection cannot be measured strictly from the amount of slickness.

However, no protectant will negate the need to clay or polish your daily-driver from time to time. So will Klasse provide good protection below the moulding on the side of your car? Absolutely. But you`ll still need to clay once or twice a year.

For a more in depth write-up on Zaino, click the link below.

http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=855 (`http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=855`)

offcenter
11-03-2001, 09:15 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Jngrbrdman [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Klasse is smooth like a polished rock. I don`t have anything to compare Klasse too but it is way smoother than anything I have ever used. [/b]</blockquote>
I agree it`s like a polished rock. On my car, it is smooth but not that soft, buttery smooth that I got with IHG/Blitz. The Klasse feels like a glass, the IHG/Blitz feels like a glass with wax on it. The shine and protection is there so that`s what really counts. Feel is different from looks.

YoSteve
11-04-2001, 04:25 AM
if your concern is that Klasse will not be as slick as the product you already love, although I`ve not felt zaino, I can tell you Klasse is very slick. It`s the throw the microfiber on the hood and watch it slide down kinda slick.

it`s sorta buttery, but it`s diamond solid (just a figure of speach of course). I found that with enough coats the feel started to change to a little more flexible rubbery buttery. it was so smooth

I guess the point is you will get a very smooth and buttery surface. Will you like it, maybe, maybe not, you`ll just have to try it to find out. Don`t forget to tell us what you think when you do try it out.

midyearroadster
11-04-2001, 04:19 PM
how long does it take for this product to dry under normal conditions? How many steps are there to applyoing this product? Thanks Tom F,

offcenter
11-04-2001, 06:25 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Tom F [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>how long does it take for this product to dry under normal conditions? How many steps are there to applyoing this product? Thanks Tom F, [/b]</blockquote>
AIO dries immediately after buffing it off and you can apply the first coat of SG. Leave the SG on for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better. I recommend 24 hours between each additional SG layer. Steps can be as few as 2- 1 layer of AIO, 1 layer SG or as many as 2 layers AIO, 3-6 layers SG.;)

ALM
11-04-2001, 09:06 PM
If you want your car to look good your going to have to polish/clay every 6 months or so, cuz junk and swirl marks are going to appear regardless of weither you use Klasse, Zaino, etc. you can cover them up, but they are still going to be there.

If you really want to prevent junk from accumulating get yourself a good QD with high lubicity, such as FI, and use it on the spots that accumulate them most junk, at least twice a week.

BillNorth
11-04-2001, 09:29 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Steve9185 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>If you want your car to look good your going to have to polish/clay every 6 months or so, cuz junk and swirl marks are going to appear regardless of weither you use Klasse, Zaino, etc. you can cover them up, but they are still going to be there.

If you really want to prevent junk from accumulating get yourself a good QD with high lubicity, such as FI, and use it on the spots that accumulate them most junk, at least twice a week. [/b]</blockquote>
Steve,

I have to disagree with you about the claying and polishing every 6 months. Clay is abrasive, it literally grinds away your paint. It should be used sparingly. Same goes for abrasive polishes.

The first time you ever clay your car, do the whole thing, take your time, and do it well. After that, spot clay, AT MOST, once a year.

As for swirl removing, once you remove the swirls the first time, use a good sealant like klasse or zaino. Then any swirling and debris you may get in the future will hopefully be in your sealant and not the paint.

Then all you would need to do is strip your sealant and reapply on the clean surface without having to re-clay and swirl remove.

Steve, no flame intended. I respect your opinion. I just thought I`d share a different point of view with Tom.

Take it easy. :)

ALM
11-04-2001, 09:47 PM
Tom-CMA states that "These (clay bars) totally non-abrasive bars safely and quickly remove surface contamination, rail dust, industrial fallout and overspray by "pulling" if off the surface."

Furthermore, if your using a good lubercant with it, i can`t understand how this can be adversely abraisve to a car`s finish? In addition, if you spot clay every few months, it will pull all the accumulated junk out of your paint that washing, and QD`ing can`t remove.

As far as polishing goes, the auctual thinkness of your sealeant layers is, to the best of my knowledge, not thick enough to "hold" swirl marks. In additon, no matter now gingerly you wash, QD and maintain your cars finish, you will get swirl marks and other imperfections. If you use a light abrasive polish such as 3M SMR every six months or so, you will be restoring necessary oils to your car`s paint, in addition to removing thoes inevitable swirl marks i just mentioned. If you use a polish such as SMR, you can rub till the cows come home and not have to worry about rubbing your car`s paint off.

Just my .02 cents....

rstype
11-04-2001, 11:01 PM
I just had to chime in...

After owning my first white car, I learned that the paint suffers a lot of things you usally don`t notice with other colors (in LA at least.)

Just after a week of redoing the whole process of detailing, the lower parts of the car has a few dots -> . that are only noticeable if your eyes are 2-3 in. from the paint. It didn`t come off after washing it. Then another week passed, and I washed it. More tiny dots -> . appeared.

This is why I find it hard to believe you can keep on layering a polymer... for Zaino I want to apply Z-1 before every layer of Z-2, for Klasse, I want to clay before every layer of SG.

It`s probably "safe" to keep layering, but it just makes more sense for me. It just makes me, well, sleep better...

. . . .

. . . . . .

. . . .

. .

imported_Intermezzo
11-05-2001, 03:34 AM
Claying is completely safe for your car as long as you take the proper precautions. This is pretty much the case for any commonly used detailing procedure....washing, waxing, QDing, etc. No matter how well you detail your car, the need to spot clay will arise from time to time. Furthermore, as for the inevitable swirls, yes...we all hope that they are in the clear but if you take into consideration just how thin a coat of paint sealant is, it really only happens to cars with several layers of sealant. Spot claying or polishing with a mild abrasive like PPCL or Finesse-It 1-2 times a year really helps maintain a cars finish and also provides a good base to layer on those polymer coats. Just my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree and flame me if you wish. :D

imported_bigltc
11-16-2001, 06:25 PM
I have a question. Do I have to dawn my car before using the clay or do I just wash the car with a car wash soluion?

imported_Intermezzo
11-16-2001, 07:28 PM
Just a regular wash will suffice prior to claying. The only time you would need to Dawn wash your car (and you really shouldn`t do this more than 1-2 times a year) is when any kind of wax or polish/cleaner oils are on your coat and you wish you apply a non-cleaning synthetic product like Klasse SG or Z-5/2.